“They wanna be rated as a 4 star hotel but service is slow and facilities poor”

Thermae Palace Hotel
Ranked #26 of 47 Hotels in Ostend
Reviewed 6 May 2014

We booked a classic Family-suite with sea view for 2 adults and 1 teenager for 2 nights , room rate is 220.-€ per night , 12,50.-€ for parking per night, 20.-€ for breakfast per person per night.
So that got us to a total of around 600.-€ for 2 nights . Well that's a rather high price for the service and quality provided. The room located on the 2nd floor has not yet been refurbished (except for the beds and flat screen TV) , and was rather 3 star - The heater looked very old and made a lot of noise when turned on. Basic bathroom though very clean, no teabags provided for tea/coffee making facilities in the room (though provided by male receptionist when we asked for teabags), no in-room safe provided though the female receptionist told us there was a safe (ill-informed staff) , The rather expensive breakfast was nice though it took way too long to get juice and tea or coffee, only 2 staff on duty for the whole hotel, so here too they were not up to 4 star quality service. Way too overpriced for this kind of hotel. I stayed in many places and i have a lot of travel experience acquired in over 30 years of travel, but i can tell that this was by far the most expensive hotel i stayed in without providing the kind of service and quality you would expect. It would be a good idea to send this hotel's staff to Thailand or other Asian Countries to get them to learn how to cope with 4 star standard and to learn how to smile and provide quality service to make the guests feel comfortable .... I definetely will not return to this hotel unless they drop their rates or provide better service and faclities !!

Room Tip: Absolutely choose a suite on the 1st floor because they have already been refurbished. Those on the...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Marc196150

Reviewed 6 April 2014

We have stayed at this hotel many times over the last 12-15 years. The hotel has a great position which is not well exploited but service was always fine as was the food. The management of the hotel has changed and is undergoing needed redecoration. After booking in and having to pay for the room upfront, a change from previous procedure, we discussed eating in the bistro and were told the times. We booked but there was no need as few were eating there that night, also a change from previous visits. The menu had less dishes and the food was not as good as it used to be, my fish was overlooked and my husbands steak not that hot. Our choice of food was limited as several dishes had shell fish, which I can't eat. On paying we found you can't charge a meal to the room, which no one had told us. That caused embarrassment and a trip to the room and back. The receptionist said we should have been told but said this was quite usual practice in many hotels, but not one I had ever been to. The room had no information at all except phone numbers for reception. In the morning we had no hot water. Again the receptionist half heatedly apologised but said it was fixed now, but "too late for you". One member of staff told us there were many less staff employed now and it seemed like it. I have written to the hotel but three weeks later I have had no reply. A last visit in more ways than one.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Lesley B
Reviewed 19 March 2014

The beautiful façade of the Thermae Palace hotel dominates an impressive part of Ostend's beachscape and the public part of the hotel has so much historical vibe that it makes you muse about "The Great Gatsby". It is therefor uncomprehensible that the astonishing main entrance of the hotel is not in use, and not accessible to the public. Instead, guests are welcomed by a friendly young lady behind an improvised desk. Once you open the door of the hotel room, all splendor wil politely wait outside. You are only welcomed with the written warning that smoking will make you pay 150 euros.The carpet is too old to remember his long gone color, and the only warm water we could find was in the minibar, which contained nothing else. Sleeping in monuments can be unforgettable, but uncomfortable too.

Stayed: March 2014
5  Thank kurtzzzz
Reviewed 20 February 2014

Both Hotel and Restaurant are to be avoided. Whole place is undergoing much needed refurbishment and might be OK when completed but not now. Staff are inexperienced and seemingly unconcerned about service. Suite we had was tired and shabby. Restaurant service was the worst we have ever had in Belgium and that is saying something having lived there for 25 years ! Long wait and then almost cold food which seems to be shipped across from kitchens linked to the main restaurant which is now closed.
Complained to senior staff at the time but no Hotel manager on duty in the evening and no response received to our complaint. In short this place does not seem concerned about customer satisfaction.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jim L
Reviewed 17 February 2014

I booked a delux room with sea view and balcony for our valentine weekend . Our booking was for Friday and Saturday night. Unfortunately the weather was very bad and we had long hold ups at the port.i had paid for the hotel room before we set off. We arrived around 6am on Saturday morning and was told that our room had been given to someone else as they thought we were not going to turn up. They said they could give us another room without a balcony. We were so tired so we said ok.the room that they gave us was very tatty and dirty. I went to clean my teat hand the water from the sink went all over the floor leaking from the sink drain. We went to the reception and they would send someone to repair it. We went for a walk and on our return found they had repaired the waste and thrown a towel on the floor to absorbe the water. My partner then wanted to have a shower but she had to clean it first. She found it impossible to clean as the water would not drain away as the drains were blocked as we're the sink drains. We went to reception to complain and we're told the could not move us to a room where the drains were any better. We decided that as we were only there fore one more night we would put it down to a bad experience . Throughout our ordeal we were never given an apology from any of the staff .

Room Tip: Don't go to this hotel unless you are desparate
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank David E
Reviewed 27 January 2014

On a trip throughout France, Belgium, and Holland, I stayed in many hotels. This hotel blew me out of the water. Coming all the way from Canada really tired me out. I was pleased to see that almost every staff member I spoke to spoke English (Or at least tried their hardest). The rooms were huge, and this is compared to a North American hotel room (already pretty large). The washrooms were huge, and had amazing shower/bath combos, and some rooms had separate toilet rooms inside of them. I stayed with 32 other young adults from my school, and each room was a little different and I liked the feel of every room. This hotel was on the beach, and boy was the view amazing. Went swimming in April in Europe, and the walked for 2 minutes back into our 'palace of a hotel'. I was definitely come back to this hotel. As it was probably one of the nicest ones I've ever been to in my life. Amazing stay. And hope to stay again for business sometime in my life.

Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank T B
Reviewed 21 January 2014

Excellent hotel in the front of the sea.
It looks like it was build a century ago, so its comfort was planned long time ago.
It has an art exxibition.
It needs some improvements, but it is definitely a hotel to return.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo