“For carnivores who know absolutely nothing about meat” 1 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: Steakhouse, Belgian, Barbecue, European
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Brussels, Belgium
“For carnivores who know absolutely nothing about meat”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2012

The place is extremely popular in this region and is always packed. So expect a lot of noise, I don't mind really, it's a normal thing in places like this.Stay away if you can't stand eating with 200 other people, mostly men, mostly in high spirit.
Closed in the weekend and they do not accept credit cards, which is the old way of running a huge cash business in this country. It's a 5 minute cab drive from Kortrijk city center.

I have been here three times, always invited by people who want to show me 'what real meat is about'. Unfortunately I know what meat is about and I definitely know what this meat is all about, it is second of sometimes even third rate quality.

I asked for a red Port wine to start with (a Belgian tradition apparently) but what I got was pure sugar, far too sweat. This is extremely cheap stuff sold for 4 euro a glass. I think the bottle was bought by the restaurant for 4 euro.

We ordered the 'homemade paté' as a starter (8 euro) but even the butcher who had invited me was of the opinion this wasn't the best paté we had in our lives. Not bad but a bit dried out.

You can only order the beef (Côte à l'os) or the lamb as main course. Nothing else. I suppose that isn't a bad thing. Côte à l'os is what we would call a 'clubsteak' or in some regions a 'Porterhouse Steak'.

The beef was nothing special. Once again we were given the tasteless Belgian Blue White beef, I have no idea why Belgians prefer this beef to beef that actually tastes like something.
And more importantly, this wasn't the premium Blue White either.I know the difference.
What the place is doing very well though is bombard you with heaps of French fries and salad. This way, everybody leaves the restaurant with a full stomach. You know the trick but apparently most people eating here don't.

The dessert is either Irish coffee (brown sugar, Irish whiskey, hot coffee and non sweetened cream) or ice cream.The Irish coffee was very plain, I don't eat ice cream. It looked like a lot of people actually dronk a lot of those Irish coffees because half the place looked drunk to us.

You can order a menu (a drink to start with, paté, côte à l'os, Irish Coffee and half a bottle of terrible red wine) for 38 euro which is extremely cheap in this country. However, it is never value. It isn't because something is cheap it should be tasteless.

The butcher who invited me also asked me to write something about the waiters as some call them 'rude' and others call them 'pleasantly familiar'. I thought they were normal waiters for this kind of place.

I have now decided never to some back here. I can give you thirty places in the province where the beef is of better quality. The butcher apologized for the invitation and promised me to take me somewhere else soon.

A good thing about the place: there is a top pub only ten seconds from the restaurant. It's called 't Beenhouwerijtje, the butcher and me had several high quality beers until late, which is nice. The pub has nothing to do with the restaurant though.

• Visited June 2012