“Plush accomodations, warm welcome” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Bed and Breakfast saBBajon

Bed and Breakfast saBBajon
Ranked #14 of 44 Ieper (Ypres) B&B and Inns
DC
“Plush accomodations, warm welcome”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2011

My good luck with Belgian B&B's continues with this one as a standout. The warm welcome began even before I arrived in Ieper...Jo DeSutter responded instantly to my inquiry and had no problem with my booking for a single night on the eve of a holiday weekend. I found SaBBajon by accident, needing a bridge between B&B stays in Gent. I had always intended to get to Ieper, so this provided a great chance to sample the town, a new place to stay, etc. Again, I can hardly begin to express how lovely my stay was.
First, Jo met me a the train station, assisting me with my luggage (I brought too much, expecting rain and cold in Normandy and Belgium--I needed tee shirt and shorts and sunscreen--that's not a complaint! :) She showed me to a room that was so luxurious, I almost wished it had rained, so I could make an excuse of luxuriating in the tub, the exceptionally soft bed, drinking in the view, etc. As it was, I had a gorgeous day, and she suggested a walk through a park to a small bird reserve--it was gorgeous. The late afternoon sun made the blooming Queen Anne's lace bright under the shade of green trees and the sun dappled path was something out of a child's picturebook. Calm and pretty. I got a chance to visit In Flanders Fields, the WWI Museum, and to witness the Last Post, the tribute to the war dead. Then, as I had a dinner under the canopy of an outdoor cafe, a booming thunderstorm rolled through--with dramatic lightning and black skies that made me happy I decided to have a second, delicious, local beer.
The morning I left, I was met with Jo's sunny, bubbly welcome, and a delicious breakfast complete with a prune jam she makes. And I had a lovely chat with her daughter, who shares her mother's ability to make you feel welcome in no time flat.
I was truly sorry to leave, and will be back. If you have always wanted to tour the battlesites of Flanders, get a taste of life with the locals, and enjoy a bit of luxury, you really cannot go wrong here. This is a B&B for those who don't like them...you'll find the luxury you want, the conveniences you need, but a welcome that is not at all what you'll find even in a 5 star hotel.

Room Tip: Just ask! Gentle Grape is deluxe!