“4 days on the battlefields WWI”

Camalou Battlefield Tours
Ranked #5 of 14 Tours in Ieper (Ypres)
More attraction details
Owner description: As a local and experienced guide of the Ypres and Somme Battlefields, I can offer you a personalized tour adapted to your own expectations. In my Mercedes Viano, Audio all surround, you can enjoy the comments and visit the sites where "your soldier" fought almost a century ago.
Reviewed 23 November 2013

Wow, what can I say! Christian and Annette have a passion and knowledge for WWI which they enthusiastically deliver. My husband and I booked this tour to follow my grandfathers war. It was
a privilege and honour to visit the places where so many Australians fought and gave their their lives and to visit the sites of battles that have been so prominent in Australia's history. The tour also included visits to the Allied memorials,cemeteries, museums, hospital sites and to a German cemetery.
The highlight for me was standing where my grandfather was captured in Dernancourt. I couldn't recommend this tour enough, Annette and Christian couldn't have done more, they are a special couple.

1  Thank Kurrajong52

Reviewed 22 November 2013

We had contacted Christian and Annette on the recommendation of a friend who had used them and recommended them to others who were equally as impressed. We told them we had two days to spend and they tailored our tour accordingly. We were picked up at the train station in Lille in the morning spent two full days with either Annette or Christian as our guide and were dropped at our hotel in Lille. We have come away with a much greater appreciation of what went on in WWI and Canada's role in the war. We had an idea but we now know for sure that we can never thank or honour enough those that gave the ultimate sacrifice. 100 characters are not near enough to express how impressed we were with Christian and Annette. They are wonderful people and excellent at what they do - their passion is evident! Highly recommend them.

1  Thank robc261
Reviewed 3 November 2013

We spent a full day with Annette who had kindly organised a tour for us to take in the Great War battlefields, cemeteries and monuments around Ieper (Ypres) which were important to New Zealanders. It was an amazing experience. We saw and learned things we never could have achieved on our own and in addition had the very moving experiences of actually being at these places and walking through the hallowed ground of Polygon Wood.

We were very impressed by the in-depth information and complex planning that must have gone into our putting our day together. Although Annette must have done it many times before she made it seem fresh for us. It was definitely a highlight of our trip.

1  Thank susan900
Reviewed 26 October 2013 via mobile

We spent two days with Annette and Christian going to important WW1 sites for Australians in the Somme and around Ieper a few weeks ago. It was an amazing couple of days. Their knowledge of the areas visited and many interesting stories meant we learnt so much and found the experience to be incredibly moving. We saw several war cemeteries and memorials along with beautiful villages, churches and scenery. The history, battles and how the Great War affected the areas we visited and the lives of the people living there was explained in detail. Annette and Christian also were very caring with my mother who is has mobility problems. Their vehicle is very comfortable and the accommodation in Ieper (Ypres) was excellent as well. We wished we had organised a longer tour. We would certainly recommend Annette and Christian to anyone from the Commonwealth countries wanting to learn more about WW1 and tour the areas of Northern France and Belgium involved. It was a very special tour. Thank you.

1  Thank Emma7340
Reviewed 4 October 2013

We spent a whole day with our guide Annette on the 21 August 2013 with a tour in the Messines area which included the town of Zonnebeke. This was going to be a memorial day for me because we were going to the exact spot where my Grandfather won his Victoria Cross for Valor on the 26 Sept. 1917. As promised Annette with her research using longitudes and latitudes maps she could identify the exact position of his achievement. Annette explained in a comprehensive detail the whole story of the Western Front, you cannot imagine how my Grandfather “did what he did” and survive, what a brave man he was. On the day, I was wearing my Grandfather’s replica medals (the original medals have been donated to Australian War Memorial in Canberra, Aust.) and during the tour we visited Memorial Museum of Passchendaele 1917. I then donated the replica medals to the museum, which will be on permanent displayed, so his achievement, will never be forgotten.
On the completion of this informative tour for me, my wife and 2 close friends, Annette arranged her husband Christian to drive us back to Lillie train station, but at my request, we stopped in the last town in Belgium at a pub, to enjoy the local beer and to raise our glasses to my Grandfather, VC winner…RIP 1962.
If anyone has a chance in the future to visit this area, it’s certainly worth having Annette and Christian as your guide.

2  Thank PeterRingwood