“Another excellent stay at the Albion”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Albion Hotel

Albion Hotel
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Ieper (Ypres)
Blackpool
“Another excellent stay at the Albion”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2010

Having stayed at the Albion on previous occasions, I had no hesitation in booking 3 nights for my group of 14. We had stayed at a budget hotel in Amiens for the previous 3 nights, and the difference was the proverbial 'chalk and cheese'. Christiana and her staff provided their usual hospitable, helpful and friendly service, including arranging 3 evening meals for us in local restaurants (which were very good). Breakfast was varied and plentiful, our rooms were comfortable and background classical music provided a refined ambiance. The hotel is centrally located in Ypres, and just round the corner from the Menin Gate. It was always possible to find a parking spot for the minibus nearby. Although there is some traffic noise, I understand double glazing is to be fitted before too long. I look forward to my next stay there.

• Stayed October 2010

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
cork
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2010

Preamble and message:
Hotels and their facilities have played a big part in our extensive travels. The majority have provided us with a good standard of food and accommodation as understandably the industry aspires to maintain their standards in a highly competive market place. But 'Standard' has established itself as the norm and visitors for short or long stays come and go without ever recording any comments one way or the other.

This message, therefore, is intended to point out that in our opinion 'The Albion', Ieper, goes the extra kilometre because charm, coupled with a natural sense of willingness to provide a higher level of service puts them in a league of their own and that leaves an indelible mark.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Blackpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2010

Stayed here for 3 nights in September and can't praise the staff enough for all their help and advice, nothing was too much trouble. The room was light and airy and the breakfast was excellent. The location is close to the square and the Menin gate. We can also recommend the bakery on the same road for delicious cakes and sanwiches, such a choice.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2010

We have used this hotel for a number of years and have always had good feed back from our members. It is in a central location just off the main town square. The hotel is family owned and run with friendly, helpful staff. The rooms and amenities are quite adequate, very clean and at least as good as any hotel of this grade. We have stayed here with groups of between 35 and 45 people of a wide range of ages and backgrounds who have enjoyed the experience and will be happy to do so again.

• Stayed October 2010
Christchurch, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2010

We decided to stay at The Albion Hotel following a series of emails from with staff - everybody was extremely helpful, giving directions and approximate travel times from Paris etc.. Ypres was the first stop on a six week trip around Europe and we were thrilled to be welcomed like long-lost friends by the family who run this hotel. We were shown around the hotel, given brochures and suggestions for tours, restaurant recommendations were appreciated and we felt nothing was too much trouble. Our room was quiet and immaculately clean - our bathroom was also very clean and roomy. We were served a very nice breakfast in the dining area each morning and had free use of the computer.
We would definitely recommend this hotel to anybody wanting to explore this historic region of Belgium.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2010

I was surprised by the "OK Place" review because my experience over the past 10 years -- I have been staying at the Albion since it opened in 2000 for about a week each year (sometimes twice a year) -- has been precisely the opposite. To stay at the Albion is to stay with friends -- friends who will do anything to help make the stay a pleasure and the trip more memorable -- leaving before the kitchen opens? Sandwiches and snacks are left out the night before so that one has merely to pick them up and head out to catch an early train? Need advice or help with anythhing? Just ask! Help is there. Thus, when "OK" says that the office was closed when they wanted to use the computer, did they call to have the office opened (number next to telephone outside the office)? Did they ask the especially nice individuals who serve breakfast if the office could be opened? Only ask! The family that owns the Albion is one of the nicest I have ever met. Considerate and helpful. Kind and thoughtful. The family takes great pride in being "accommodating" in every sense. Success is not measured in filling a room, but in the pleasantness of the stay. I quite sincerely mean this.

And the rooms, the breakfasts, the facilities in general, plus the great location, help make the stay a pleasure. They add to the genuine pleasure I have each time I return to Ieper, walk up toward the Menin Gate, and, just before reaching it, turn right to walk the short distance to the Albion and the warmth of family and staff that awaits.

Finally, while I may be enthusiastice, I don't exaggerate. I respect both the Albion and the reader too much to do that. It just seems a pity that when everyone at the Albion is there to help and ensure a pleasant stay, that quality is not recognized in a review.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled solo
Venice, Italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2010

I have just completed the most delightful five days staying as a guest at the Albion Hotel in Ypres.

From the moment of arrival I was made feel like a family friend and just the subtle pleasantries of sitting at a writing desk and filling out my personal details for registration makes this place unique.

I was then shown my room and given a map of Ypres and the highlights of the town marked and explained to me on the map.

My Room
Room 1 was allocated to me. It was situated down the side street beside the hotel, approximately 20 metres from the corner. The benefits of this for me were that I had my own entrance to the hotel and then access to my room. The room was pleasantly large with a king sized bed, writing desk, two maple reading chairs, high ceiling with pleasant primrose walls and burgundy upholstery. There was a very big modern bathroom with all facilities including air conditioning.

Dining Room
The dining room was open for breakfast and remains open until 2300 hours, doubling as a bar in the evening. Computer and internet access is provided and also a library specialising in local books,

Breakfast is provided as part of the tariff and every guest has a personal table, Coffee and tea is provided by the friendliest of staff. A great selection of cereals, fruits, cheeses, hams and cold meats, eggs, breads, pastries and fruit juices.

All staff are multi-lingual and the diversification of guests included, New Zealand, British and Australian couples visiting the battle fields and a group of Australian school children accommpanied by their teachers also on battle field tours.

If you are going to Flanders, I must recommend this hotel highly. My original 3 days in Ypres was extended by two days due to the hospitality offered by this hotel. A great place to stay, whether you are on you own or part of a group. Hotels like this are very rare.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled solo