“Great Hotel with some laid back charm”

Kasteelhof 't Hooghe
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Ieper (Ypres)
Bolton, United Kingdom
“Great Hotel with some laid back charm”
Reviewed 4 April 2011

Stayed here with two mates for only one night visiting the war graves, although out of town (about 8 mins) by car I would really recommend for a short stay. Our room was excellent very clean, plenty of room with a nice revamped bathroom. We had our evening meal in the town but some people where still eating in the bar on our return and they seemed to be enjoying it. Breakfast was 100% no complaints usual continental. We also found the staff most helpfull and charming. We all said we would stay here again if we return.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank bradshawbolton

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Monmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 March 2011

This 4 day break was the 4th time I have been here as I have been reseaching WW1 and it is so covenient as a base. During all of my stays here the standards have always been the same. The rooms I was allocated were different on each occasion but all of them overlooked the garden & craters and were all large and spotlessly clean. They were cleaned and tidied with the towels changed each day. We went full board and the buffet breakfast gave an excellent choice to start the day off for touring the area. The evening meals were well prepared and varied. The hotel is a family business so the service was always helpful, courteous and prompt.
I did stay here last year in August but the noise from the Amusement Park was hardly noticable even when sitting on the terrace during an afternoon beer break. All in all it is an
ideal place for any one interested in the Hooghe sector during WW1 who also requires a comfortable base to explore from.

Room Tip: Try the local beers
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank donothaveone552009
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 30 March 2011

A steak & fries dinner washed down with a 12-degree St Bernardus beer set a great initial mood. Coming from the "States" the hotel reminded me of something out of "Dark Shadows," complete with fog. As I was on a tour of area battlefields the hotel's historic attributes, clean eccletic rooms topped the evening off. I'd recommed it- and would stay again if I'm back in the area.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank David H
Bristol, UK
Reviewed 2 September 2010

Stayed one night at this hotel enroute to Calais for journey home. It is a quirky little place, quite old fashioned, set alongside the main road a few miles from Ieper. The bedroom was large and airy, the bathroom old, tired and unwelcoming. The beds were extremely comfortable and the bed linen crisp and fresh. Everywhere was extremely clean. We were travelling with our dog, hence not staying in the town, and that was no problem for the hotel (although we were charged €10) and there was plenty of open space around for excercising her. The car park was large and we felt it to be secure. The breakfast was the normal continental and was quite adequate - we did not eat in the restaurant in the evening, there was very little atmosphere. However, this could be due to the fact it was quiet the night we stayed there. The total cost of €100 to include breakfast and the dog I felt to be excessive for the standard of the hotel and the fact it is out of the town, but I can see it is situated in an ideal location for touring the area and historical sights so presumably this is how they justify the cost.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank JanBristol
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 August 2010

I have stayed here a number of times, returning each year to visit the battlefields of Ypres. I choose to stay here rather than in the town itself, because I find it has better facilities and a more character. (it is situated about 6 miles from Ypres town centre so a vehicle is a necessity).
The room are large and well equipped and combine antique furniture with modern appliances. I noticed this time that the owners have installed very modern sanitary appliances and LCD tv's. There is also new bed laundry that is very comfortable. If I had to be picky, I would prefer larger bath towels.
Another reason I choose to stay here is it's location. It is right in the heart of the old first world war battlefields with two museums close by. I have struggled to find it at night on previous occasions and I would encourage the owners to update the signage on the road. Not only to make it stand out, but also to encourage it's roadside appeal. Dont be put off by the next door amusement park - Belleward Park. It is well screened off by trees and apart from the occasional distant scream in the daytime, it s very peaceful in the evenings and wintertime.
The breakfast is excellent. Buffet style, with a great choice of bread, pastries cheese, ham, boiled eggs, jiuce, cereals etc. The dining room is intimate, about six tables, with a larger room next door opend up for larger parties. The evening dinner is also worth sampling along with the good selection of belgian beers. It is a cosy room in an evening and if you are a sociable type, you may find yourself entering into conversation with fellow guests. What I like is that each year I go, I notice that the hotel has been improved in some way and something has been updated.
I would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel to visitors to Ypres with vehicles. If you need to stay in Ypres itself, you will have to spend about 30 Euros a night more to get equivalent facilities.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank apreslaguerre
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 July 2010

Our party of three stayed at Kasteelhof 't Hooghe for two nights in July 2010. If you want a modern hotel with bells on in the centre of town this isn't it. If you want somewhere with plenty of character, heritage and charm then Kasteleelhof 't Hooghe fits the bill perfectly. It's a just short drive from the centre of Ypres and is perfectly placed to explore local battlefield sites. The rooms are reasonably priced and a pleasant continental breakfast is included. I would certainly consider staying there again.

• Stayed July 2010
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 February 2010

This was my second stay in this friendly, unpretentious hotel. Situated between Geluveld and Ieper on the 1915 front line, it is perfect for exploring the area of the early battles in WW1 on foot. There is an interesting bunker and crater (not sure if it is original, though) in the grounds and a good little museum next door (the cafe provides nice lunches). Hill60/Sanctuary Wood is a short walk away, where there is another, quirkier, museum. The trenches here are worth exploring and the old 3D pictures are of interest.

The hotel is clean, well-run and inexpensive. The breakfasts are simple and tasty and the bar is well-stocked. We did not eat evening meals at the hotel, so can't comment on these. Ieper is 3 miles away, but this makes an interesting walk back via the Menin Gate and the Menensweg - the route many a soldier would have taken to return to the front line trenches. Incongruously, the Bellewaerde Theme Park is next door but this is always closed in the winter, so not a problem for me!

I am sure that I will be returning sometime to explore more of the Salient.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with family