“Another stay.”

Kasteelhof 't Hooghe
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Ieper (Ypres)
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Have stayed here a number of times and lways found staff friendly, especially Dreis, the manager. This time I was in the new block which had just opened. Pleasant, comfortable room but badly needs tea and coffee facilities in room. Breakfast is typical continental but more substantial than my next stop which was on the Grote Markt in Ieper. Felt that é 90 a night for single occupancy was expensive. Pleasant surroundings and I shall return.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 3 July 2014

The hotel was further out of Ieper than anticipated and finding it was complicated by a series of road works and poor signage.. The hotel, which in a previous life was the stables to a chateau, sits back from the road. The environs are pleasant in spite of the hotel being in formally deadly ground. The grounds made for some pleasant walking (the weather was good) and there were outside guest areas with tables and chairs.

The reception was functional and rather slow - a bell was needed to attract attention, but when they finally appeared the staff were helpful and spoke English reasonably well. The room at the front of the hotel was quite large and well fitted out with furniture complete with a small balcony which we used in the evening sunshine on both nights. The room also had 2 chairs. The bath/shower room and separate toilet were cramped but adequate.

Eating places within walking distance do not exist so we dined in both evenings. The meals were not over elaborate but there was a reasonable choice. The food was cooked excellently and well presented. This alone was worth the stay. Unfortunately breakfast was self service with all the food and drink (cold plated) confined to a small service area with two entrance doors. It could not handle the demand and food kept running out and people got in each others way.

The hotel is centrally located for WW1 sites of Ipers and Passchendaele. The grim reminders were everywhere with cemeteries every 100 yards. There were 2/3 good local museums and the Menin Gate is Ieper a must visit. But we never realized the scale of destruction and loss of life. The hotel was a good place to stay for a few days.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank colin_bishop1941
Reviewed 30 June 2014

After 20 years of staying in the Ypres area, I have just had my worst experience ever, most hotels and B&B's in the area are expanding, but the standards of customer service are not compromised and the influx of people for the centenaries does not result in arrogance and complacency, not the case in this establishment.
A colleague and I were allotted the studio apartment, 2 bedrooms a kitchen/living room, all sounds great if it was finished.
One of the bedrooms had no wardrobe or hanging facility, nowhere to put clothes, no TV, no tea or coffee facilities, the other room had a wardrobe and a TV that did not work.
There were builders tools in the cupboard, bare wires hanging from the ceiling, the list goes on.
In the morning when checking out, I complained, only to be told that in future I should stay some where else, whilst receiving a list of reasons why I was wrong in my assessment of the room.
I don't often complain, however I was horrified at the arrogance of these people, one can only assume that the crowds that are descending on Ypres for the centenaries mean that they no longer have to try.
Avoid at all costs.

Room Tip: Avoid, there are great hotels in Ypres that actually care about their customers
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Tim W
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Fortunately we only stayed at this hotel for one night as we found the management extemely rude and arrogant, and gave the strict impression that they were out to to take as much as possible, and give little in return. The room was one of the new ones; very austere, had no paintings nor even a picture or poster. There were no tea or coffee making facilities.

You are not offered any advice or information from the manager. You are also required to pay one Euro to walk around their garden/museum which should be a real gem, but is poorly presented and poorly maintained.

The centre of Ieper is not within walking distance from this hotel, and so it is necessary to drive into town to use the restaurants and view the 8 pm Ceremony at the Menin Gate.

The one redeeming feature that this hotel has, is that a very good privately owned museum is adjacent. (Not part of the hotel management). I have read a previous review along these lines, so our experience is not an isolated one.

In case you think that I am a very negative person, I have written an excellent review for the hotel de herbergh near Schipol, where we had the completely opposite experience, for the next two nights. John Ongley

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 June 2014

The staff were very helpful and friendly, speaking good English. We stayed in 2 rooms in the new building, it was very clean and modern. It is advisable to take a travel kettle as no tea/coffee making facilities are provided, however for the price paid this is acceptable. We had an evening meal at the hotel which was cooked just as requested, and a great place to sample Belgium beers. Breakfast was continental style with lots of choices. The hotel is in an ideal place to visit museums and world war 1 cemetery's, and is only a few minutes from Ypres where there are plenty of restaurants and gift shops, with free samples of chocolate! It is worth experiencing the Last Post at the Menin Gate at 8pm every evening, Overall a very enjoyable break with the family, the locals were friendly and welcoming.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank kittykat123_10
Reviewed 14 June 2014

We stayed at this Hotel,my brother- in- laws and myself, visiting war graves of two of there Uncles WW1&WW2. We stayed in a Quadruple room, and was very large more than adequate,clean and plenty of hot water and clean towels, food very good,evening meal and a very fine continental breakfast,nice bar as well,very central to war graves. When we left unbeknown to me I dropped my passport In the car park, on arriving at Ijmuiden Holland for overnight ferry home ,told I must have a passport, rang hotel and they said it had been handed in, so I booked myself a single room, rest of the party went home as foot passengers, we live 3 miles from the port,stayed at hotel again,great plus they handed passport back along with the €10 note still inside it and gave me a FREE BREAKFAST. Will visit again

Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed 14 June 2014

Great position for WW1 graves etc. The gardens themselves are full of history. However the hotel needs updating to the 21st century. The en suite to our room was beyond dated and the towels were of very poor quality. Breakfast was a good continental style and replenished frequently. We ate in the restaurant on our 2nd night as it was not open on our arrival(which we were not informed about) this was ok but not a great choice, however the member of staff on that evening needed to learn how to smile!!! She had a very unapproachable way about her. Not a very warm friendly welcome.
Suitable for location & the history but that's about it I'm afraid!!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family