“4th of July 2014”

Gaido's Seaside Inn
Ranked #23 of 52 Hotels in Galveston Island
Reviewed 5 July 2014

My first experience was 2 years ago after my wife suggested a short trip to the beach with our then 5 year old. Everything was quite surprisngly decent for as old as the hotel is. We stayed there again this year for our 4th of July trip and still quite surprised with how decent it is. Rooms are what you expect from a hotel as old as this. If you are wanting 5 star amenities then you should stay at a 5 star hotel. But if you are lookimg for a mom and pop run seaside Inn this place is really not bad at all. The rooms are slowly getting updated but nice. We had a fridge in iur roo. 2 years ago but did n8t have one this go round, we planned for it but made due with an ice chest and ice. Ice machines were "out of order" which I would assume that due to location have been shut off so random people dont fill there ice chests with free ice so we improvised by finding and ice machine near the Academy that fills ice chests for $4. 2nd floor beachside is great for those who like to sit on the porch in the mornings or evenings. I could have done without the pool bar bands and crowded pool area. The bands are usually done around 1130p or 12a, which is late in my book for an outside music venue, especially being that close to sleeping rooms. Unfortunately due to the type of crowd at the pool we did not use it much. But then again we did not come to Galveston for the pools. I would certainly reccomend this location for 4th of July though. Parade goes right down the Blvd. Fireworks are set off on thr jetty right in fro t of hotel, and we did not have to deal with the traffic or people. I imagine we will stay here again in the future.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Christopher B
ltpg97, General Manager at Gaido's Seaside Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2014

Christopher,

Thank you for the review. We are glad you enjoyed spending your 4th of July with us. We hope you come back to see us again in the near future.

Reviewed 3 July 2014

While the beach front view was great, the price is a bit steep for what you get. The rooms are outdated, carpet on the walls, beds old and lumpy, pillows lumpy too, carpets dirty and bathrooms from the 1980s. Lobby is quite a walk for most rooms. When we got to our room, I opened the window and it was so dirty we couldn't even see the beach view. Only 4 towels per room and I knew I needed more so I walked down to the lobby to address the window and get more towels. It seemed like it was an inconvenience when I asked them to clean the window. They said they had just cleaned them the day before but I doubt it as they were filthy. I asked for more towels and was refused because of their towel exchange policy. I couldn't get more until I bring the dirty ones down to the lobby. Such an inconvenience and not at all in the best interest of the customer. I also asked for a rollaway bed and they charged an extra $15. Breakfast was good but area is too small and crowded and we had to eat outside where the seagulls were flocking around for food. The women assisting with the food seems a bit rude in their speaking and I heard one customer ask for 6 burritos for her and her family and the lady said she couldn't give her more than 5. I think overall I got a feeling they were stingy with a lot of things. No refrigerators or microwaves in rooms either. For about $25 more I could have stayed at a much nicer place. Don't think I'll return here. Definitely needs a renovation in the rooms.

• Stayed: June 2014
3  Thank CJ1179
ltpg97, Manager at Gaido's Seaside Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2014

Dear Guest,

We are sorry to hear about your unpleasant experience while staying with us. You will be happy to know that our rooms are being renovated as we speak. We have addressed your concerns to the upper management so this never happens again.

If you decide to come back again be sure to ask about our new Queen Rooms that come with a coffee maker, microwave, refrigerator, iron, ironing board and iPhone clock radio.

Reviewed 3 July 2014

Almost left after walking into the lobby - cluttered and dirty. Glad I didn't though! All employees were nice. Rooms need updating, but they're clean. Too much light seeped from behind curtain, but the beds were comfy. Pool area was nice. The location is perfect! Everything is easily accessible without a car. As a woman traveling alone with kids, I felt safe. I would stay again.

Room Tip: rooms facing Gulf will have to endure music from Nick's bar on weekend nights
1  Thank fifthteacher

Dear Guest,

On behalf of the Gaido family I empathize with you on how outdated our rooms and hotel lobby are which is why we are in the process of renovating all our rooms. We hope to have them all renovated by the end of 2015. As for our lobby we have informed the owner who has taken your concern into consideration. We hope this does not discourage you from staying with us again.

P.S. The next time you stay with us be sure to ask about our new Queen Rooms.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

My family and I have been staying at Gaido's Seaside Inn for right at 13 years. We have use them for our annual vacation and our cruise stay.
While the pool renovation is beautiful - it certainly has changed the feel. This hotel, while outdated, used to be family friendly. Now - not so much. The rooms are still the same as they have been for the last 13 years, only MORE run down. Plumbing is definitely NOT good. While the breakfast has always been mediocre, the addition of hot items is nice.
Where the issue lies is the partying taking place, the loud music late into the night, the drunks being a little to drunk around children in the pool area. Because of this, we made our trip to the pool (in mid afternoon, mind you), very short.
We also learned earler this year that Gaidos no longer offered the one night stays for cruisers. Not too cool - but we made due at Hotel Galvez.

Room Tip: Don't pay more for beach front, as the noise from the band or DJ will bother you. Non renovated...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
ltpg97, Manager at Gaido's Seaside Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 6 July 2014

Dear Jennifer,

Thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention. We are sorry to hear that you felt we were not family friendly when you visited us this last time. We will do our best to make sure that does not happen again.

In regards to our rooms, we are currently in the process of renovating every room on property starting with the ones in the courtyard area. As for the pool we have asked the owner of Nick's to have the DJ play the music a little quiter but unfortunately we have very little control over their music since it is Nick's who hires the bands and DJ. Not us.

Reviewed 25 June 2014

We stayed on a Monday night right in front of the Pool. First let me say the pool was awesome. The kids loved it and the hot tub too. There was not many people there in the early evening but as the night went on more arrived. My 14 yr old was hit in the eye with a football while floating on her back so there are some older kids not being very careful there but that is no fault of the hotel. That being said it is an older hotel. The rooms have old style keys and the door knobs do not turn. We tried to open our door and it would not open. We walked all the way back to the front desk and let the guy know and he was not very friendly and stated that you only turn the key not the knob and then push and the door would open. You would think this info would be given at check in. So we did that and you had to push really hard it worked better when u used your foot to push the door open after the key is turned. The room was clean and A/C was cool but the beds were hard. There was no blanket only a sheet and the bedspread. There was a card with the towel count listed so they must have issues with people taking towels. I made sure all towels were accounted for upon leaving as to not be charged for any. The pool became a little loud about 11:00 pm but did quiet down about midnight when it closed for the night. WIFI DID NOT WORK... they give you a code and my daughter was able to get it to connect at the pool via her phone but I could not get it to connect on my computer. I called the front desk to inquire about it and he said he was not a computer wiz so could not help me. The food at the attached restaurant was expensive and small portions but it was late and we were hungry so it was convenient and clean. The pool is closed until 10 am and the gate was locked so you can not go outside and enjoy the pool deck with coffee or a phone call. Breakfast was plentiful and day shift ladies were much nicer than the night attendant. There was waffles, Cereal, Milk, Juice, assorted bagels and muffins, Fruit toppings for waffles, and also apples and oranges, The best part was the Burritos.. Egg, cheese and bacon...with hot sauce. The walkways are small in front of the rooms and you will have to stop and let someone walk by if you meet at the same place. Also breakfast area is small. They have cokes and snacks etc. for purchase and a nice inside eating area and a shelf of books to borrow. We stayed at the hotel about 7 years ago and it is about the same as it was last time but a new updated pool. It is across from the beach and we enjoyed our stay. I thought the price was a little more that what it was worth, but you area paying for location not the room itself. We would stay here again. Did not have any issues with loud drunk people..but again we were not staying over a weekend. :))

Room Tip: When opening the door to the rooms Turn the room key and push on the door HARD....Do not try to turn...

Dear Guest,

Thank you for the review. We appreciate you bringing your concerns to our attention. We have addressed your concerns to our owner in hopes that this will not be a problem for any future visits you might have with us. Thank you again for giving us a four star review.

Reviewed 24 June 2014 via mobile

We had planed a 3 night stay but left in 1 night. This hotel had a party bar that the music rocked our room no was to sleep. Got so rowdy the police was called. We checked out and went to the Sheraton which was the same price. Unless you want to party skip this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2014

Dear Guest,

We are sorry to hear that the music at Nick's bar forced you to check out early. We have informed the restaurant regarding this and they will try to keep the music at a level that does not steer guest away from a pleasant stay with us. We hope you reconsider coming back to stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed 21 June 2014

Great Beach Side Hotel. Nothing fancy. The Oldest Hotel on Beach and Very Clean Rooms.
Very Family Friendly with Lots of Kids. Great Pool for Kids. Not a Place for a Couple to stay in summer time if you are looking for peace and quite. Will Be back again with Grand Kids.

Room Tip: 2nd Floor South Side for best Ocean View. North Side Rooms are Quieter away from Pool

Dear Toby,

We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. Although we are the oldest hotel on the island, we are pleased to announce that we are renovating all of our rooms as we speak. We hope you come back and stay with us again soon.