“great access to everything”

Gaido's Seaside Inn
Ranked #23 of 53 Hotels in Galveston Island
seguin, texas
“great access to everything”
Reviewed 23 August 2014

the LOBBY was really hard to find, and it needs some major upgrades!!!!----was really cluttered and not attractive at all----needs a major overhaul. We did not get one of the remodeled rooms, because we wanted an ocean view----so no fridge, no microwave, no hair dryer, and NO coffee in the room.The hotel staff were really nice, and when are room would not open from the inside, the front desk and maintenence man were quick to respond. The pool was absolutely FABULOUS!!---really a lagoon with palm trees in between ( real palm trees), and in addition to the mushroom waterfall in the middle, there was a rock wall in the back, with a fantastic waterfall---the colored lights were really cool, and the hut tub and bar right at the pool was great!!!!----wish there had been live music that night, but i guess on a Wednesday you can't expect that. The free breakfast had almost everything,and the kitchen ladies were very friendly and attentive. the rooms were not very soundproof, and could hear the girl next door vomiting for about an hour----but it is an older hotel. The hotel still uses an old fashioned key, and the room was hard to open. GREAT VIEW

Room Tip: rooms with an ocean view have not been remodeled
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank dotblair
ltpg97, General Manager at Gaido's Seaside Inn, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
Dear Dorthy. Thank you for the review and addressing your concerns to us. Many of our guest have told us how hard it is to find the lobby and how outdated it is. Our owner is aware of this. Our rooms are also in the process of being renovated. Having said that, we are glad you enjoyed the pool and our breakfast. We hope you come back and visit us again soon.

Management

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
Eunice, Louisiana
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

Standard deluxe room ....2 beds and tv and a dresser......not one aminity whatsoever...very old looking inside was disapointed from time playing with decrepited old door to inside room was worse. ...what it does have is location right across from beach and a great swimming pool ......if i had todo again i would not of spent that kind of money here

• Stayed August 2014
4 Thank bambi2541
ltpg97, Manager at Gaido's Seaside Inn, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the review. You will be pleased to know that we are well aware that our rooms are very outdated and need upgrading. The room you stayed in has not been upgraded with a coffee maker, refrigerator or microwave yet. But they will be soon. This is a top priority for our property.

Austin, Texas
Reviewed 5 August 2014

I've stayed here multiple times in the past 5 years, both with family and as a "Girl's Weekend". I've never been unhappy with any of our visits. Front desk staff is very helpful & polite ; even when very busy they make guests feel welcome. We've been met with smiles, "welcome back", fresh cookies, pink lemonade, and free popcorn. I've had offers to assist with luggage upstairs when a downstairs room was unavailable.

I appreciate the fact that the manager walks around the grounds & pool area frequently. He stops to chat and we've really enjoyed the opportunity to ask him about things to do during our stays. He has some great stories about Galveston, too.

The rooms are clean, beds comfortable, and bathrooms have tubs - good for those of us with children. I haven't had any problems requesting extra linens/blankets/towels. Complimentary small toiletries were in our rooms, but I always bring my own. We generally ask for a small refrigerator and have seldom been charged extra. I bring my own mini coffee maker - and last two times never used it - the lobby & breakfast area provides it all day. Housekeeping staff we've interacted with have all been delightful ladies - helpful, kind, simply wonderful.

The breakfasts have always been as much or more than higher priced lodgings. The food is fresh & there is a decent variety. Kitchen ladies are cheerful. I agree with other reviewers that the area to eat inside is too small, but we usually eat outside on tables, in our room, or this past visit - up on the observation deck.

Rooms in the courtyard are are preferable - less traffic noise/pool noise, etc. I choose upstairs rooms to better catch the breeze outside - rooms have chairs so you can sit outside with a drink & a book or coffee & a paper. In June, Chris gave us a room next to the observation deck - LOVED IT !! We could walk down the steps into Nick's Restaurant or cut through to the pool area or even across to the beach. This will be my first choice from now on.

The pool is fantastic for all ages - the children's walk in area is ample, then the deeper area for older kids & adults and the section by the waterfall is large enough to do laps. I love the addition of the bar - we were able to order food for poolside dining, drinks to enjoy, and the evening entertainment has been great. We've seen some really wonderful bands. Drinks are not cheap, but neither are they over priced. Water is free & we brought soft drinks from our room discreetly in beach bags. I also appreciated that hotel guests had wristbands to identify them. Later in the evening, the hot tub area did get crowded with bar patrons, but not so crowded that it impeded one's enjoyment of the pool area or entertainment.

As for the food.....WOW - since Casey's turned into Nick's - I've become a huge fan. Everything is delicious. The LUMP crab cakes are nothing short of DIVINE, shrimp Robert (shrimp wrapped in bacon & glazed in a molasses BBQ sauce) is to die for, and every other shrimp dish we've ordered has exceeded expectations. Service has been excellent. If you mention you're a hotel guest, you don't have a long reservation wait (though I have yet to need a reservation).

I think parking in the back & side is very adequate. Of course not everyone is going to get a spot directly in front of their door during peak times, but there is ample parking on the grounds unlike other hotels I've been a guest at. It's my opinion that the lobby is simple to find & very accessible at all hours. The ground are well lit, and the security patrolman is vigilant. The rare times in 5 yrs that I've encountered a problem, it was seen to immediately. No problems with the ice machines during my visits. WiFi is better this year !

Multiple restaurants are within walking distance (we loved suggestion of Gumbo Diner made by fellow guest). Pizza places w/i walking distance - ice cream, too.

Perfect day begins with breakfast there, walking or beach swimming until noon, poolside until late afternoon (lunch being a picnic at pool or Nick's) and then late afternoon at the beach - come back, clean up & go out to dinner (ask Chris for recommendations) and poolside for swimming until it closes.

Week ends with live music are fun ! You're also very close to The Pleasure Pier and driving distance to family fun like Put-putt golf & the theater.

I'm excited to see all the positive changes each time we return, and I love that the front desk staff and manager are so warm & welcoming (and even remember us from previous stays) I cannot wait until my next trip. I grew up in Galveston County & this is my absolute favorite place to stay - hands down. Thank you to the Gaido's staff !!

Room Tip: Rooms in the "Courtyard area" are quieter. The rooms upstairs catch the wonderful Gulf bre...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank robin s
ltpg97, General Manager at Gaido's Seaside Inn, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Dear Robin,

Thank you so much for your wonderful review. We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We aim to please and hope you will return to us again in the near future.

Bulverde, Texas
Reviewed 4 August 2014

I had originally booked this inn for 3 nights, but after listening to the music and partying downstairs until midnight, then being blasted with pool side music at 0900, I decided one night was enough. I asked to speak to the owner of the bar that is literally a step away from the pool, since their music is piped over speakers that sit over the pool area. I was told he wasn't available and that they would not turn the music off. Granted this is at 1000 am when my daughter and I went for an early swim and I would have enjoyed some peace to read my book. In Gaido's defense, the hotel manager had agreed to move me to the quiet, back side of the hotel, and I had agreed to this until the bar manager ( big mike, big Kevin?) was so rude to me. After that, I decided I will never return to Gaidos bar, restaurant or hotel.
With that being said if you are deciding to stay here after reading this, let me tell you there is no coffee maker; one outlet so bring a power cord if you have tablets and phones to charge; I could not get a web connection on my laptop but my daughter had one on her tablet; the decor is really ugly; shared balcony that runs the length of the hotel; the beds are extremely springy and soft...not firm at all. There is no decaf coffee at breakfast; the breakfast seating area has 5 tables only...way too small for so many people ( a good hot breakfast though); road noise is pretty much in your face, motorcycles up and down Seawall until well after midnight

Room Tip: back side of the hotel, especially if a weekend, for peace and quiet
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank ciera1love
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the review. We Sincerely apologize for the inconvenience. Many other guest have complained about the same issue and we have told the manager of Nick's, who is in charge of the music, to keep the volume level down. We are hoping that he takes these complaints into serious consideration.

In regards to our amenities offered in our rooms, the room you stayed in has not been upgraded with a coffee maker, refrigerator or microwave yet. But they will be soon.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

Gaido's Seaside Inn and Restaurants have been a Galveston mainstay for years. The rates used to be some of the least expensive on the island, but since their recent upgrades, be prepared to pay just as much as most of the other chain hotels. Granted the addition of the pool with kiddie area, hot tub and poolside kitchen with bar are great, but the prices seem to reflect that they are trying to pay for all the upgrades all at once. A mixed drink poolside will set you back as if you are on a cruise. The rooms still don't have in room coffee, fridge or microwave, and at the time of my visit this past weekend, there was no teeny shampoo bottles either. In spite of this, I love Gaido's and will probably stay there again due to the BEST location. The live music at the poolside bar was awesome and kudos to the housekeeping department for keeping us well supplied with fresh warm towels.

Room Tip: If you must take a second floor room, try to get one next to the observation deck.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Sandi C
ltpg97, General Manager at Gaido's Seaside Inn, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
Sandi,

We appreciate you bringing your concerns to our attention. We have addressed your concerns to our owner in hopes that this will not be a problem for any future visits you might have with us. We are trying to renovate all of our rooms so that they will have the amenities you will need the next time you decide to visit. Thank you again for the review.

Dallas, Texas, United States
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Hotel is straight from the 50's. No fridge-no hairdryer- no shampoo. not many outlets for phones and computers but wifi worked well. Pool is big but not quiet and loaded with children. the parking is okay in the back but not out front. You must keep up with a metal key and like all of galveston the door is stuck and hard to open. The breakfast was okay but he breakfast area is ill planned and the cook were not cool under pressure but quite nice when not stressed. they have plenty of ice machines but no ice. Room was adequate but as most of Galveston smelled mildewy. the front inn staff on the other hand was great and very accommodating. its very hard to get to your room with the chairs in the walkway. This is a good cheap place for families with small kids but not so much for an older couple who would like more amenities.

Room Tip: Stay way from rooms by the pool and the band area and under the steps.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank John P
John,

We appreciate you bringing your concerns to our attention. We have addressed your concerns to our owner in hopes that this will not be a problem for any future visits you might have with us. We are trying to renovate all of our rooms so that they will have the amenities you will need the next time you visit. Thank you again for the review.

Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

We have stayed at Gaido's a few times over the last few years and it is one of our favorite places. We love going out on the deck in the evening and watch the waves hit the beach. This year was the best time ever though. 4th of July there was awesome! Also we was able to stay in one of their new renovated rooms, it was beautiful! Thank you Gaido's for a great family vacation. We will definitely be back!

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank Tamara B
Tamara,

Thank you for the review. We are glad you enjoyed spending your 4th of July with us. We hope you come back to see us again in the near future.