“Lovely simple little place, good fish”
Review of Fishy Corner

Fishy Corner
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 12 June 2014

We visited in early June 2014, had calamari (fried or grilled), sole and hake. All fish plates were copious, nice generous sides (salad is available, besides the more classic rice or chips). We were warmly welcome, the restaurante is small and had a cozy feel. We enjoyed the experience, simple and tasty food.

Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

Y'all, this is worth the drive to hentiesbaai, the food is fantastic, I always make the drive up North just to eat there, all the food is great, they take their time preparing it, so be patient, have an extra beer.

Reviewed 26 December 2013 via mobile

Well it's cosy, tiny (book well in advance), clean, laid back, fresh, good service, fairly priced, whatever you can call positive!

Me & my wife ordered Greek salads for starters: fresh! Beautifully garnished for a tiny place like this, one doesn't expect this.

Then came the "mini" seafood platter, again fresh and good looking. My wife said the fish fillet & calamari rings should have been grilled and not deep fried which I agree with: little bit too oily. Also: crab sticks are not appropriate for a dish like this. Only fresh fish & sea food should have been used.

Service was good: I always get irritated asking for serviettes. This time the waitress brought us a stack of them: didn't actually need to ask for anything else.

But all & all still very good! A little gem tucked away next to the Spar in Henties Bay.

Good for take aways as well...

Reviewed 25 August 2013

We stopped here on our way to Cape Cross to see the seals. I had heard about fresh fish there and we ordered grilled 'butter fish', grilled 'hake' and one portion of potato chips for my vegetarian spouse. Potato chips were huge but difficult to finish up. There was nothing wrong with it. The fish came out looking very brown and for me it appeared deep fried. They had asked if we wanted 'fried or grilled' and we had said grilled. Anyway we ate it and I found a 'stale' taste of oil. I am sure that the fish is fresh and if you want it fresh you need to insist that it is grilled. Our problem was that all who ate fish developed 'diarrea' and it was very complicated at Cape Cross afterwards with the toilets being at the picnic site and not at the place we watch the seals. My impression was that the oil used for deep frying fish was old and was being reused. The place is beautifully decorated and I loved the atmosphere. It is just a pity that the fish story was a bit stale. We will still try out the fish again as the staff were nice and friendly and the place a good place to stop.

Reviewed 21 July 2013

We dropped in late with 10 of us (two tables) on a Saturday night. They had obviously been busy. They had sold out of a lot but their battered hake and calamari was superb. Nothing was too much trouble.