“Great on a deal, wouldn't pay full price though!”

Stoke Rochford Hall
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Stoke Rochford
St Helens, United Kingdom
“Great on a deal, wouldn't pay full price though!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2014

Stayed here for our anniversary using a voucher, we upgraded for £20 a night to the mansion and stayed in The Oakham Suite.
On arrival and checkout staff polite but not friendly, a little more warmth wouldnt go amiss. The room and bathroom were large and nicely furnished, grand window overlooking the front (car park so not much of a view), at night the lights shine all over the ceiling, not good if you like a dark room to sleep. The hotel is ok though I disliked the cheap blue painted under ground corridors that you have to walk through to get to bar, restaurant/ breakfast room.
2 things that put a dampner on things for us;
After opting to eat in the bar for our anniversary meal on 2nd April the man serving us was bordering on rude, between ignoring us, being dismissive, and having a general air of superiority it ruined the evening - he was slightly nicer once he forgot our deserts. We arrived and sat ourselves in a quiet corner - no one in no staff or clients it was open though - when he arrived he looked over didn't say a word. I went over and asked for the menus, he took my order as silently as could, was completely unhelpful regarding if we could open a room tab, brought the meals over and spoke disparagingly to my husband regarding condiments and never once checked if food ok and then forgot to bring us our deserts! Now as a hard working couple on our anniversary break I expect more than to be spoke down to by some stuck up bar member - sorry if we disturbed your quiet evening.....

Second upset was the strange man that barged into our room at midnight nearly walking into my sons cot! Needless to say sleep did not come easily again! We did mention this on check out so hopefully the latch that was stuck allowing the man to walk in will have been fixed.

Breakfast was quite good and staff here were helpful and attentive. I did have to ask for fresh apple juice to be put out as it had so obviously been watered down it was almost tasteless, this was done straight away.

Although it doesn't sound positive overall it was ok/good but that was because all together it cost £125, I couldn't believe the tariff board I saw in reception for a mansion suite £125 one night accommodation only! Wow I'd have been seriously disappointed if had payed that much!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank kerryfer80
Barry1972, General Manager at Stoke Rochford Hall, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
Thank you for your feedback following your recent visit, which naturally I was surprised & dissapointed to read. I would like to personally investigate your comments further and would encourage you to contact me directly through the Tripadvisor private messaging option.

regards,

Barry Clark

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (444)
Melton Mowbray
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2014 via mobile

I recently took 32 family members including 9 children - aged 1-13 - for a special birthday lunch- it was amazing- it felt like a wedding- the attention to detail was brilliant- we paid for 3 courses -£22 half price for children and under 4 yo free- the drink prices were excellent- we supplied wine in table and for all of us- including beer and soft drinks the bat bill was only £120 - everyone was very impressed! Food was excellent- choice of starters and mains and 6 deserts- all my guests were full and happy- cannot understand why this place is not at least 4*!

• Stayed April 2014
Barry1972, General Manager at Stoke Rochford Hall, responded to this review, 15 April 2014
Thank you for your positive review and I was delighted to read that we were able to make your family celebration a great success. It's really pleasing to know that yu found our food & bar drinks to be great quality and value for money. From all the Stoke Rochford Hall team, we look forward to welcoming you back before too long.

Bourne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014

After spending a Saturday evening at Stoke Rochford Hall as a surprise birthday get away for my girlfriend, I can unreservedly say it's a magnificent place! Straight from check-in the staff we're very helpful and polite, the room we stayed in was slightly on the small side but was more than sufficient and it wasn't as if it came as a surprise, it's called a small room on the website!
The house and gardens are immaculately kept however the carpets in the accommodation block could off done with a vacuum.
The food in the restaurant, well, was out of this world, my girlfriend has a gluten intolerance, the menu clearly stated what foods we're suitable and even items not "suitable" but we're wanted, an alternative was brought out! It was all delicious! Mentioned to staff before hand that it was my girlfriends birthday and that we we're eating in the restaurant, we we're given complimentary champagne and sorbet with our meal! A lovely touch to an amazing meal!
Even though there was a wedding reception going on at the same time as our visit, at no point did it feel like we were encroaching on there party or vice versa!
All in all a lovely stay and experience in a memorable setting, will definitely visit again and recommend to others!

• Stayed April 2014
Barry1972, General Manager at Stoke Rochford Hall, responded to this review, 14 April 2014
Thank you for your positive review. I was delighted to read that we were able to make your stay special & memorable for all the right reasons and all the team look forward to welcoming you back before too long.

Basingstoke, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights due to a "Buy a gift" voucher and we glad we did as the hotel/mansion itself is impressive with magnificent manicured grounds. The house itself is stepped in history and well worth a read and is currently the NUT training centre, but I am left a little confused by the whole building. As you drive down the long driveway from the A1 you pass lots of wild life which some have a death wish as they won't get out of the way (sheep/ducks/lambs) and then as you pass the corner and the main house comes in to view. The house does look impressive and very grand as you approach it and that alone sold it for me, but the interior for me is where it falls down.
There is a lovely main door which you think is the reception door but you need to look closely to the left of that as that's where the smaller more modern entrance is. You go to the main, more modern reception and are greeted by the polite reception staff but as you walk through the building it seems it's confused with modern and old decor alike. It had a 12 million pound renovation due to a fire in 2005 and I fail to see where that money went. Some parts of the house have grand ceilings and the main sitting area has a lovely fire on but I felt as if I was walking in the servant quarters not the main house else where. Pine cladding up some of the stairs is disappointing as the main stair case is beautifully done.
We had afternoon tea over looking the grounds and the views were fantastic but again I feel the afternoon tea could of been a lot more. The tables and chairs were from a conference with cheap table cloths and very average tea cups and plates which really let the whole experience down. We have been to a few in the past and they really make it an experience to remember, for example when they offer you tea they ask what type of tea you would like, or they bring you out a selection in a beautiful box for you to select yourselves. They then present it on exquisite china not conference facility china. The sandwiches and cakes were nice so no fault there but they did forget ours and another guests champagne till we reminded them. We had two cakes left over, I would of thought they would of asked if we wanted to take them away for later, but sadly no. We sat and had bar food Saturday which was very nice but sadly no cider on tap as it was empty.
The swimming pool reminded me of when I was at school and they had an outdoor pool with a cover over it. We were told it was 28 degrees in the pool, yikes was it cold so we opted for the jacuzzi which was very intimated with four people in it. The gym is impressive with lots of modern equipment to use, so if you're in to the gym bring your gear. The swimming facilities are behind the times which really lets this place down, if this place had a spa it would be bar far the best hotel/spa in the area. It lacks so much but yet has so much potential to be amazing. I must salute the gardener and his team for keeping the grounds so well kept, they really do save this building.
I probably would come back but my wife said she wouldn't, it's well worth a visit as has so much going on around it. Get your walking shoes on and go for a walk.
Last bit of advice, go to The Cross Swords Inn, in Skillington, well worth a bite to eat.

Room Tip: Upgrade and stay in the main house, we had room number 7, what an amazing bathroom! Huge steel bath...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback following your recent visit to Stoke rochford Hall. I have studied your review in some detail and am delighted to be able to fill in some of the missing gaps for you. First & foremost, i'm pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Since arriving here as the new head of the business late last year, we have been setting about turning Stoke Rochford Hall into a truly special venue and maximising upon the untapped further potential it has.

I have to agree that the wildlife in the neighbouring Stoke Rochford Park can be somewhat single minded - the Muskovy Ducks which seem to have claimed the bridge over the lake can be quite militant at times whilst they remind us who's bridge it actually is. For the record, the park land surrounding the hotel estate is private farmland belonging to the local land owner and whilst we have rights of access through the park, the land & livestock is not under our control, but it certainly does add charachter and some entertainment for us.

I'm delighted that you were able to enjoy the wonderful craftsmanship that went into restoring Stoke Rochford Hall after the devastating fire which occurred back in 2005. To put it into context for you, the majority of the main Hall was destroyed by the fire and the existing Grand Hall, Library & everything above those areas was rebuilt under the control of English Heritage in the £12m restoration project. We came very close to losing the whole property completely and I'm sure you will agree with me what a tragedy that would have been.

i'm grateful for your constructive suggestions to further develop the business. We have a medium & long term development plan to continually upgrade all areas of the business and our long term aspiration is to develop a World Class spa as part of the main Hall, to repalce the existing leisure club, pool & gym facililty. However, this is only an aspiration, but i'll be delighted to welcome you back once we've achieved it, or hopefully long before then.

Thanks again for your valued comments & suggestions.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2014

Spent two nights here and just wished it could have been more what a beautiful hotel in a splendid location did pay extra to upgrade well worth it im sorry i cant find any faults with this hotel if you are thinking about it go for it you wont be dissapointed did not have an evening meal but the breakfast was 1st class Stoke rochford your so good you dont even know it

Room Tip: Take your swimming costume with ytou
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your 5/5 review. Receiving such feedback as yours is always a nice surprise and it's a pleasaure for me to share your comments with all of the team, who work so hard to make sure our guests enjoy a relaxing stay with us. Thank you for your kind comments and we look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you back to Stoke Rochford Hall next time you are in the area.

lincoln
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2014

Purchased a Groupon offer for 3 course meal and wine for Stoke Rochford. A beautiful village with stone cottages. We walked around the Hall gardens,.... beautifully cared for.
The meal in the restaurant was excellent. A good choice of courses and served by 2 efficient and friendly young waitresses. We chose a Sunday evening. Not the busiest time so rather lacking in atmosphere but still excellent food and service. Afterwards we had a wander round the Hall...a elegant hotel with amazing wood panelling and staircases.
I am looking forward to Afternoon Tea and summer walks in the gardens later in the year!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Barry1972, General Manager at Stoke Rochford Hall, responded to this review, 11 April 2014
Thank you for adding your review and I was thrilled to read that you enjoyed your Sunday evening visit to Stoke Rochford Hall. Keep an eye on our website as we ill soon be launching our new Afternoon Tea service for the 2014 spring & summer season and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Leicester
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2014

My wife and I have just returned from a 2 night break at Stoke Rochford Hall.
We would thoroughly recommend the hotel. It is in a fantastic setting, the Hall is a fabulous old country mansion within beautiful grounds. We paid a little extra to stay in the Mansion rooms and we would certainly recommend them, as the rooms are very spacious. We had bed and breakfast and the breakfast was excellent. The only sight disappointment was that the leisure club was a few hundred yards back down the access road, and it discouraged us from using it. Although the gym looked to be well kitted out. We did not eat at the hotel in the evenings so are unable to comment on the evening meals, but there was a choice of bar meals or restaurant meal. All the staff that we encountered were very friendly and helpful

Room Tip: Pay the extra to have a Mansion room.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for adding your review and I was delighted to read just how much you enjoyed your visit. the Mansion bedrooms really are worth the supplement and i'm delighted that you found your short break enjoyable and relaxing. We look forward to welcoming you back for another stay before too long and I recommend paying a visit to our SRH restaurant where our head chef James Walker is serving delicious fresh local produce.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Stoke Rochford
Premier Inn Grantham Hotel
Eden House Hotel
Eden House Hotel
#8 of 9 in Grantham

Been to Stoke Rochford Hall? Share your experiences!