“Amazing”

Stoke Rochford Hall
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Stoke Rochford
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Just spent the past Four days at this hotel on a mini-break - first impressions were amazing, as you pull up it is quite spectacular, and the gardens are beautiful too. The mansion room we stayed in was lovely, and not a disappointment. Had a lovely meal in the restaurant with very attentive staff who were happy to help with any request. Delicious cooked breakfast, walked around the garden and went to the leisure centre for a swim and gym session.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Barry1972, General Manager at Stoke Rochford Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Thank you for your 5/5 review and I was delighted to read justh ow much you enjoyed your recent stay with us. from all the team at Stoke Rochford Hall, we look forward to being able to welcome you back again before too long.

best regards,

Reviewed 2 July 2014

Have just enjoyed an afternoon tea through the "Buyagift" scheme. In spite of the grand exterior the hotel itself is a let down due to decor and layout. Trying to find your way around is hard work as the building is a bit of a warren. In order to buy a drink prior to tea, we had to use an upstairs bar and then carry our drinks down to the lower floor in order to enjoy the drinks outside :-(
When buying these drinks from a very pleasant young lady at the bar, she was rudely interrupted by another member of staff who had come to ask her about some sort of list. We then had to wait. The bar maid apologised for this interruption but it wasn't her fault. We were dismayed however by the behaviour of the other staff member.
When it was time for our tea we went back upstairs and were attended to by a very pleasant "Adam". The tea was delicious and the service by Adam was very good. There was hardly a soul around which didn't help the atmosphere.
In spite of the beautiful location, we don't think we will return.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ann N

Thank you for your review and i'm pleased to hear that you enjoyed your visit for Afternoon Tea. Since recently launching our new 5* afternoon tea service, we have received a welth of tremendous feedback and i'm pleased to read that you enjoyed your own experience. Turning to your feedback regarding our building & facilities, I can appreciate your frustrations but would respectfully remind you that Stoke Rochford Hall is a Grade 1 listed Victorian Mansion built over 150 years ago. Inevitably this does lead to some quirlyness in the layout of the building, as the mansion was designed as a private house to a particular & somewhat unusual design family of the time. I do appreciate your feedback and works to improve the present day customer experience, in parituclar through improved signage and an on-going programme of refurbishment continues, however we do have to work within the confines of a protected historical building. Having enjoyed the excellent afternoon tea that we offer, I do hope you will consider returning again to enjoy our newly launched bistro menu or our forthcoming new a la crte restaurant menus.

Reviewed 2 July 2014

Beautiful building, though our bedroom was in the stable block. The bedroom was ok, bed was clean and comfortable. It was on the top floor, in the corner, so we only had a little roof window which made it a bit dark, but it was ok, as we only stayed 2 nights. The Internet was via a cable and, as it only took my iPad, couldn't use the Internet, so that's worth remembering for future travellers. I could use the iPad in the main part of the hotel though.
The gardens are beautiful, and well kept, and the weather was kind to,us. The food was beautiful, couldn't fault it at all, and all the staff were very pleasant and helpful.
The swimming pool was a bit of a disappointment, very basic, and looked a little bit grubby. The jacuzzi was fine, but the ladies steam room was out of order.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your 5/5 review and im pleased to read that you enjoyed your recent stay with us. I'm sorry about the fault with the ladies steam room during your visist, but I can asure you that the fault was rectified at the earliest opportunity and is now back in full working order. I appreciate your frustration regarding the cables internet connection in the Standard Stable Courtyard rooms. We are currently investigating extending our Wi-Fi provision, which indeed is only currently available in the Mansion house to the Stable Courtyard over the coming months. Never the less, thank you for your positive review and from all the team, we look forward to welcoming you back to Stoke Rochford Hall next time you are in the area.

Reviewed 2 July 2014

A half a mile from the A1, on a turning ignored by my SatNav (which wanted me to turn into a field!) you sweep into the grounds of Stoke Rochford Hall and pass through pastures with sheep, across the bridge over the ornamental lake (currently undergoing some maintenance) and then up and towards the house past two pretty follies.
If the approach to the house itself is very impressive, the house is more so as you approach it. A glorious Victorian tudor confection, the house sits in handsome gardens within the broader parkland.

The house itself is a story of two halves. It has to be remembered that this building is very much a dual purpose house; a conference and training centre as well as a country house hotel. Thus there is a schizophrenic air to the house.

The main public areas are incredibly impressive. Handsome ott Victoriana, with lovely views, high ceilings and handsome furniture. The passageways, undercrofts, downstairs bar are far more humdrum. (The bar on the ground floor is, conversely, very handsome.)

All this said however, my own experience was a happy one. The wedding I attended was brilliant run and the food excellent given the scale of the function. The maitre d' was hugely impressive, a slight military bearing to him indicated the efficiency of the operation, but belied his personable nature. All the staff I encountered were very helpful and polite.

The room I stayed in - within the main house - was clean and comfortable, although we were moved once to provide more room for the additional bed I required for my child. No complaints either about the breakfast we were served. (As noted elsewhere there is no signposting to this breakfast room, but asking directions was hardly a hard task.)

In summary then, this was a lovely location within lovely grounds. The room I stayed in within the mansion was fine, and the food was good too. There is a lack of continuity in style in some areas, and it is a bit of a warren.

No matter. I had a lovely weekend.

Room Tip: Having stayed in the main house I can only comment upon them, but they are fine. Furniture is a lit...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank RicolasUK

Thank you for you positive review and i'm delighted to read that you enjoyed the wedding you recently attended. Hosting weddings and other events along with business meetings & conferences is indeed our core business and i'm delighted that you were suitably impressed with the quality of food, service & hospitalitity you recieved. From all the Stoke Rochford Hall team, we look forward to being able to welcome you back again before too long.

Beneral Manager

Reviewed 1 July 2014

I’m afraid that, from our experience, the Stoke Rochford is all fur coat and no knickers. We stay in hotels a lot, and expect a certain level of finish and service when paying over the £100 mark, especially since we've often had such great experiences when paying considerably less.

As others have said, when approaching the building you can’t help but be spellbound by the façade – all the Jacobean smokestacks, the grandeur of the iron gates, and the landscaped grounds - but our actual accommodation and experience in no way matched this.
We stayed in one of the Old Stable Courtyard rooms which, if you’ve read previous reviews, seems a clear indicator of not having a luxurious stay. For some reason we were in a disabled access room, which is no hassle to us, but the presence of hanging red cords from every conceivable surface make me anxious that I’d pull one by accident thinking it were a light switch. The décor is appalling. It was reminiscent of a 1980s MFI bedroom suite, and the paintings and soft furnishings equally naff. I understand that this is a very large hotel, and making even minor changes takes a lot of time and money, but the rooms they are providing just do not match up with that which they show and describe on their literature. Even the décor inside is horrible, and utterly incongruous with the building itself. Must say though, the bed was very comfy, with quality linen.

Cleanliness not great - had a very large wet room, and the floor around the shower drain was mouldy and a bit damp smelling. There were lots of cobwebs on the bedside light shades, and the ceiling fan was also very dusty.

We returned to the hotel at around 9:45pm on Saturday night. We’d been out all afternoon with nothing to eat, but before leaving that day we’d noticed the guest book saying room service could offer a small selection of sandwiches post the 9:30 kitchen closure. So, when we got back, I phoned reception to order a few drinks, then asked what sandwiches they had available. I was then put through to the kitchen, who just said “no, we’re closed”. 10 minutes later, phoned reception back to ask about drinks. Explained we’d not eaten and that the book DOES SAY they have sandwiches. Told they’ll see what they can do. Admitted there is an error in the book – that it SHOULD say the kitchen closes at 9:30, after which no food is available. Receptionist said she’s speak to manager to explain and that she may be able to arrange a discounted rate for the drinks by way of apology for the mistake. 20 minutes later, room service appear with two tuna sandwiches, two diet cokes, two lemonades and charge us £15.30 for it. No discount there, then.
To cap it off, we were obviously lost when looking for the breakfast room in the morning but the receptionist didn’t intervene to point us in the right direction, then when I checked out I got no “how was your stay”, or “thank you for staying with us”, just a “that’s it then” once she checked I’d paid up.

We were looking forward to a night in an interesting place, but what we got was Fawlty Towers on a grander scale, I’m afraid.

Room Tip: Don't opt for the Courtyard rooms if you want any semblance of luxury.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank TeamAmy

Thank you for your feedback and highlighting the issue you had with ordering room service. The service you experienced in this instance was certainlly not our finest hour and, fair to say, not indicative of the levels of hospitality and care we usually offer to our valued guests. I full investigation into the circumstances is on-going and without going into detai, rest asured that all necessary corrective action has been taken to ensure this never happens again. Once again, I am grateful for you bringing this to my attention and my sincere apologies for the inconvenience you experienced.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

SRH is an incredible building, despite burning to the ground 4 years ago, it looks every part of a couple of hundred years old, its guest rooms are split into Mansion (superior) rooms and Stables (Standard rooms), we stayed in the former and this was the first disappointment, if these are superior rooms with tired dated carpets, mismatched furniture and spotlights hanging off the wall/roof in the bathroom, then I fear for what a standard room might be like.
But as Kirsty says its all about location, and you will honestly struggle to find a better one, with many acres of farm and parkland, freeroaming lamb chops, the river running along the estates eastern border, it really is a spectacular setting, its a country mansion in the truest meaning of the word.
Service is a bit of an issue, the receptionists when we were there were 1. Ditzy young blonde trying to be helpful who did manage to book a restaurant in Grantham for us, but forgot to book the taxi to get us there and back. And 2. The sour faced old trout who has the most ill placed “I’m better than you” attitude that takes patronizing to whole new levels.
All Of that said, I willingly forgive everything, bar the aged trout with the crap attitude, for one reason, The food and the restaurant
I’m convinced that Mick the maitre’d is ex military, crisply turned out, regulation hair, and that quiet air of authority that comes from bollicking rookies regularly, his team of only 3 weeks had learned a lot in a short space of time, yes there were a few minor gaffs but nothing that couldn’t have happened in a five star in London. We had two fantastic breakfasts, genuine linconshire sausages, thick cut beautifully flavoured bacon creamy scrambled eggs and black pudding that was way beyond the ordinary, but the star was the dinner, from smoked salmon to blade of beef, from duck terrine to fillets of bass, everything was cooked perfectly, well seasoned, beautifully flavoured and a real joy to eat, we had some glorious desserts as well, but thats no surprise when the mains are so good. The accompanying wine was a good merlot at around the £20 mark, they do not seek to overly lighten your purse in this here establishment Sir. Mark my words, there are many 4 and 5 star establishments around Europe that simply cannot match the output of this 3 star kitchen.
If they could only employ an interior designer to sort out the mish mashed rooms, do something about Madam La truite in reception, they could achieve so much
If your looking for a bed for the night halfway along the A1, trust me, you will sleep well after a surprisingly good repast, strongly recommended !

Room Tip: Its probably not worth buying the Superior upgrade
1  Thank Mikfag

Thank you for your positive review and i'm pleased to read that, overall, you enjoyed your recent stay with us. Since taking over responsibility for Stoke Rochford Hall a few months ago, we have embarked upon a journey to transform the hotel from a functional conference centre into the truley Wrold Class venue which it certainly has all the potential to be. I'm delighted to read that you enjoyed the food on offer and appreciated the personal attention and care delivered from the restuarant team. Both James our Head Chef and Mick our Food & Beverage Manager are key members of the new team we have been building in the buisness recently to support our journey to capitalise on the potential you refer to in your review. Thanks again for the support and from all the team, we look forward to being able to welcome you back again before too long.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

Booked a 2 night break through Buy A Gift this then transpired to be a KGB deal. Sat Nav struggled to find the Hall even though it is only just off the A1 but it was a scenic route. The drive up to the hall is grassland with an array of mature trees and sheep grazing, you turn a bend and the magnificent hall is before you, such grandeur. drive through the gates and park, the grand entrance you expect is now a side door leading to the reception.As predicted we were given a room in the old stable block.The room itself was adequate, spacious and equipped with hot refreshment tray. iron, hairdryer etc. The bathroom had bath with shower over, dated and worn. We went to reception to ask about walking the grounds and to see if there was anything of particular interested, the receptionist had no idea so we explored. The gardens are well kept and well established. There is a small memorial garden with a gazebo which is where we had our picnic, this is where you will get good mobile signal too as you will struggle everywhere else. The leisure center is in a separate building further up the driveway. Set in an old teacher training college circa 1950s, not very attractive. The gym is great though, up to date machines and plenty of them, the changing rooms are small but clean, this is where the sauna and steam rooms are located so one for the boys and one for the girls. The swimming pool was large but I did not try it. The staff in the leisure center were very helpful and pointed us in the direction of a public footpath. Very pretty but it is a sheep field and we were pitted in poo by the time we got back and it also lead us to a private golf course, few arms waving from players as we ambled along the path right between there shots. Would recommend walking out around the village and not going off the beaten track.A walk inside the hall is also recommended, interesting staircase and a couple of nice fireplaces, you do not quite get the feeling of opulence as you do from the outside. Breakfast was excellent, full english, continental, fresh fruits, toast and pastries, waiting staff friendly and efficient. Nearest bank Grantham, nearest pub that does food couple of miles away so make sure you take everything you need. If not eating in the Hall then take a picnic as the grounds are lovely.The only real negative for me staying in the stable block was the constant door slamming from the entrance door as it slams shut if not holding the handle, woke us up several times morning and night. Real positive (weather permitting) is the grounds,

Room Tip: If staying in the stable block as for a room away from the entrance doors
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank ginettek14

Thank you for your positive review and i'm pleased to read that you enjoyed your recent visit to Stoke Rochford Hall. The surrounding parkland, whilst not directly owned by the Hall, but over which we do have rights of access, is indeed a wonderful asset, especially with the weather as favourable as it has been of recent. I note your comments regarding our standard bedrooms in the Old Stables Courtyard, which are comfortable, but functional. I would certainly encourage you to consider one of our superior Mansion House rooms in the future. Thank you for your feedback and we look forward to being able to welcome you back again next time you are in the area.

Best regads,

#5 of 7 in Grantham
Best Western Angel & Royal Hotel
Best Western Plus Bentley Hotel & Spa
The William Cecil at Stamford

Been to Stoke Rochford Hall? Share your experiences!