“Anniversary celebration”
Review of The Ship Inn

The Ship Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Tresaith B&B and Inns
Reviewed 20 August 2014

Tresaith was our annual family holiday spot for many years. Now they have grown up we decided to celebrate our wedding anniversary at the Ship
We stayed for two nights, taking all four rooms. Seven adults, two children, two breakfasts and two evening meals, so plenty of opportunity for things to go wrong. But nothing did. We had the undivided attention of Claire the duty manager and she could not have been more helpful. Her friendly professional manner made us feel at home and the rest of the young staff were brilliant. The rooms are wonderful, comfortable and clean with good showers. Z beds provided for the kids without hesitation.
The food was great, the children's requests were happily catered for, meals arrived in good time hot and tasty. So two big celebration meals were a great success and sitting together for delicious breakfasts were very special.
So a big thank you to Claire and the staff at the ship for a very memorable weekend. We will be back.

Room Tip: They all have sea views.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Roger D

Reviewed 18 August 2014

Rented a cottage in Tresaith for 2nd year running and ate twice again at Ship Inn. Overall it was better than a year ago. Food quality was good (maybe £1-£2 over priced but you are paying extra for location and view). Its run by Brains (a good pint there). The second time we went they had lost our booking but they still fit us in - They have a problem with not enough chairs for tables when busy (?). Staff, still a little untrained, lose orders, bring main course portions as starters but we didnt mind. Assistant Manager was good and very helpful and friendly, They have had several changes of Landlord over last 12 months so still needs a bit of sorting in general. Recommend the Crab Cakes and Brains Chocolate Brownie with fudge sauce ! One thing I dont get is why they turn customers away rather than book them in when earlier diners leave. We watched them turn people away but within 20 mins there were empty tables that were not refilled again all evening - Better booking system and you could double the heads - and myabe bring those prices down slightly ! Can understand the mixed reviews on here as it is a little hit and miss - but just about worth the experience !

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank SandAH
Reviewed 13 August 2014

We stayed at the ship in 4 nights.We loved the location,A beautiful shore line,cool nights,and the sunsets were amazing.The staff was very friendly and helpful .The food was delicious .we would love to visit again ,and recommend the Ship Inn to our friends and family.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Gdebg
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Spent some time at this location....although we couldn't eat in the bar area...we had to wait for a 'table' to become available....we eventually got to eat! Staff were extremely helpful and made sure we got the first available table. Food very tasty and filling..All Staff very friendly ...even the lady from Essex .....and made our visit there an enjoyable one! Looking forward to visiting again!

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Betsy J
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Havingbeen a regular visitor to this beautifully located Pub/Restaurant I have to record disapointment in our latest visit. Last Sunday a group of 16 planned a reunion evening at The Ship. Table booked for 7.30pm All drinks expensive.. Menu Choice limited and very expensive. We were served with mediocre food at 9.10pm. Come on Brains, where were Cockles and Bacon, Chicken with Goats Cheeseetc?, There were no fresh vegetables ,miniscule garnish,all in all a ruined evening

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank PDMJAR
Reviewed 2 August 2014

The Ship restaurant in Tresaith can only get away with what they offer food wise because their location is great and it is the only restaurant in Tresaith, hence no immediate competition. We visit Tresaith now and again and stay with a friend overnight. We usually eat either at the Ship or then go over to Llangranog beach and have a meal at the Ship Inn there. Tonight we did not want to drive and booked a table at the Ship in Tresaith. They had a specials menu and a la carte. I took a sirloin steak and chips from the a la carte which was ok and cooked the way I wanted it, but it was nothing special. For £16.95 I would expect it to be just that bit more special. My husband ordered sea bass from the specials menu, it was at the same price of £16.95. We regularly eat sea bass at restaurants but never before have I seen anyone serving up just one tiny filet, totally over cooked, served unlovingly on a bit of wilted spinach and a few roasted potatoes. I would have returned this dish to the kitchen or asked for the price to be cut in half. It said sea bass on the menu, usually one sea bass gives two filets. My husband was too embarrassed to complain. However, this is the last time we will eat at the Ship in Tresaith. Next time we drive again over to the Llangarog Ship restaurant.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank R T
Reviewed 31 July 2014

We have been to the Ship on a three occasions. The first experience was not good but I believe in giving people a second chance. The second experience was a lot better but both times we were unable to book a table inside which was fine as the weather was glorious, but the outside menu is more limited for some strange reason. My husband and I managed to book a table for last weekend for our Anniversary. The atmosphere inside was far from relaxed, I had a screaming child in my ear. The first thing I noticed that both wine and water glasses were absolutely filthy, so I asked for them to be changed, the replacement weren't as clean as I would have liked. The staff are very friendly but out three waiting were staff asking us every 30 seconds if we were ready to order, was everything ok, did we need anything else. One waiter would have been less confusing. When the starter arrived, it was nicely presented although my husbands smoked duck was cold and almost invisible there was so little of it. I had the mackerel pate which nice although a little salty and the horseradish cream was heavy and could have done with more horseradish than cream. For the main, my husband had crab cakes which were overcooked and rather dry. I had steak which was absolutely lovely and cooked perfectly but i had ordered this with a pepper sauce, i waited so long for the sauce to arrive that my steak was cold, whilst i was waiting i had the same three waiting staff asking how the meal was and reminded all three that i still didn't have the sauce. To add to my disappointment when it finally did arrive it was inedible. Both mains were ordered with a basil, pine nut and tomato salad. Again this was disappointing, it consisted of wedged unripe tomatoes, a basil paste un anaemic pine nuts. For both of us the best part of the meal was the desert. My husband had the ice cream which i believe is made in Wales and is quite easily the best ice cream I have ever tasted, I ordered a glass of port and a stilton cheese board, again the stilton was incredible. It was just a shame that other parts of the meal let it down. The meal was a lot of money for us and I felt that it certainly wasn't worth it. I don't think that we will go back for anything other than a drink as it is a lovely place to sit outside and watch the sun go down to the sea. Inside in the bar are is totally uninviting with only hard seats and no comfy chairs to chill out in.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank happyfish_8
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tresaith
The Cliff Hotel & Spa
#4 of 19 in New Quay
Monachty
Monachty
#10 of 12 in Aberaeron

Been to The Ship Inn? Share your experiences!