“Excellent Pub Food”
Review of Dark Horse Inn - CLOSED

Dark Horse Inn
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: 17th century coaching inn, with open fires in the colder days, with a warm welcome every day. Big steak nights every Wednesday, daily chef specials, over 50's Monday and Tuesday, Sunday lunch all day "Sunday".
Isle of Wight, United Kingdom
“Excellent Pub Food”
Reviewed 9 November 2012

I heard on the local grapevine of a 68oz rump steak on offer, sounded ridiculous but called an enquired. Yes was the answer and they hold two in stock! I went with my two brothers one of which is a 6' 5", 19 stone rugby player and saw it as a challenge! I ordered a 30oz steak my brothers both the 68oz and all the trimmings....... they arrived on a silver platter and they were HUGE. The size of a turkey plate each and a good 2 1/2" thick. No chance and glad I ordered the 'small' 30oz. The steaks were cooked as ordered rare and medium rare and were perfect, tender, succulent and tasty. 30oz devoured, elder brother struggling with the 68oz and younger rugby playing brother battled till the end and finished it and all the trimmings to be awarded a congratulatoryT shirt! The staff were great and the chef came out and asked if everything was ok and had a chat which was a welcome break from the mountain of great food.

Overall nice local pub with nice friendly locals, a great menu to boot and a novelty size steak on offer for those that fancy a challenge or are just greedy!

Go enjoy and be stuffed!

1 Thank capt-rod
Gaspode1, Owner at Dark Horse Inn, responded to this review, 14 November 2012
So glad you enjoyed the food, we love guy's who are up for the challange. New menu coming "Man verses Food" Big steak, big breakfast, Big Burger and the BIG mixed grill, we might even put a big pudding on there. Up for it??????

Newport
“Great place to eat!!!!”
Reviewed 8 November 2012

My brother and myself came to attempt their 68 oz steak challenge! All I can say is the steak was cooked to perfection. Not an easy thing considering it was the size of a dinner plate and at least 3" thick! The staff were friendly and polite rewarding my rather full and ill looking sibling a t shirt for completing the challenge. Overall a fun night with great food I will definitely come again although I may restrict myself to a 34 oz one next time!!!

1 Thank Russ H
Gaspode1, Owner at Dark Horse Inn, responded to this review, 10 November 2012
We thank you for attempting the big steak challange. Your brother is now on the wall of fame wearing his T shirt along with a picture of the big steak. Perhaps you would like a go at the Breafast ? The Heart attack. Breafast is served Mon to Sat 08.00 to 12.00, Go on, you know you want to!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Newport Isle of Wight
“The 68 oz Steak challenge”
Reviewed 8 November 2012

A friend at my local rugby club told me of the The Dark Horse after mentioning I had a hankering for a ridiculously sized steak and is own amazing experience there. After booking a table for my brothers and I, we popped along last to see if this 68 oz steak was a reality, I was not disappointed!

The rump steak was immense, the size of a normal dinner plate and over 2 inches thick in places, a true behemoth and tasted delicious, not tough at all. I was pleasantly surprised that it was as per my order, rare but cooked through and hot, while my brothers was slightly less so having ordered a medium-rare, not an easy task when cooking such a large piece of meat. The trimmings were forced down, as I had issued myself a challenge to finish the lot. I achieved my goal and was even given a T-shirt to boot!

The service was impeccable and the price was fantastic, the 64 oz rump steak was just under £30 which I have paid before for a far smaller and inferior steak in more 'classy' restaurants. Having the chef come to our table and tell us that the beef was locally sourced and inquire if we needed anything was a nice touch. The atmosphere was warm and friendly, the restaurant and bar felt authentic with plentiful rustic charm.

Having read the last review I believe this person clearly has an ax to grind or too much time on their hands, while i can't comment on the food he had, my brothers and I had great food and good evening in a warm and welcoming restaurant which I will be recommending to my friends and family.

Gaspode1, Owner at Dark Horse Inn, responded to this review, 14 November 2012
You took on the challenge, well done!!! How the next stage " The man v Food" watch this space.
Sandown, United Kingdom
“Terrible experience”
Reviewed 5 November 2012

Carpet filthy, room smelled of wet dogs. Food was disgusting. Ordered mixed grill and asked for rare steak, but this was well done. Sausage tasted awful, chicken was dry, gammon was salty, mushroom was black, tomato was runny, chop was oily. The meal tasted as though it had been deep fried and then finished under the grill. Could not eat any of it.
Certainly the worst meal I have had on the Isle of Wight. No reduction in price offered. As for recommendation I would strongly advise you to give this a very wide berth.

• Visited October 2012
2 Thank David L
Gaspode1, Owner at Dark Horse Inn, responded to this review, 7 November 2012
As was said the last time this was posted, it is clear that you are achef with a problem or that you work in the catering trade. over dicriptive and to long a list, only people who have work in the lower end end of the industry would even consider deep frying as you would suggest as for being offered any discount, if you had bothered to make the complaint at the time and not, well shall we say run out the door. If as you say the food was that bad and you were not happy as you have said then please come in make your self known and we will feed you free of charge.
“Place to eat!!!!!”
Reviewed 18 October 2012

Myself and my family eats at the dark horse a number of times a month between us we have had almost everything on the menu, we have been very happy each time the food has been excellent value for money it has always been welcoming and satisfactory I would recommend this place to eat any day.

1 Thank Dogsday2