“Wonderful Sunday Roast”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Dark Horse Inn - CLOSED

Dark Horse Inn
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub, American
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol
Description: 17th century coaching inn, with open fires in the colder days, with a warm welcome every day. Big steak nights every Wednesday, daily chef specials, over 50's Monday and Tuesday, Sunday lunch all day "Sunday".
Ryde, United Kingdom
“Wonderful Sunday Roast”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2013

Hayley is back and the food is great. We ordered the roast and were delighted with our choice. The locally sourced meat was tender, well cooked and lots of it. The well cooked and presented seasonal vegetables were full of flavour, served with a generous portion of crispy roast potatoes and a tasty meaty gravy. Superb and under a tenner. Good to see the pub back to it's original standards. Congratulations, it is good to see you back in charge.

• Visited August 2013

Isle of Wight, United Kingdom
“Back to its best!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2013

I had avoided the Dark Horse for a while as it had gone down hill, but now Hayley is back in charge, the Dark Horse is back to being amazing! After driving round the island trying to decide where to eat we decided to give this another chance (Last time we went several months ago it wasnt as good as I remembered).
We werent disappointed this time! I had the Pork Medallions and my partner had ham, egg and chips. Everything was cooked perfectly.
The only thing we did find was that the place was empty, which was very sad, as the first few times we went it was packed! We are hoping the Dark Horse gets its fantastic reputation back and the customers start filling the place up again :)

• Visited August 2013
2 Thank Rachel A
Salisbury, United Kingdom
“Good, honest pub food, reasonably priced.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2013

First impression was not too good - we came in from the carpark at the rear, where to get to the bar you pass along a corridor where the carpet looks extremely tired and there is a rather damp/musty odour. We were almost on the point of not going any further but decided to see if the bar was better and it was. The decor is pleasant and the bar staff very friendly, plus they allow in dogs which was a definite plus point for us. The place was practically empty at 7.00pm but by 7.30pm people were pouring in and it was soon buzzing. The menu was varied and interesting. My wife had their steak and ale pie, which was superb - made with shortcrust pastry and I chose the chowder, which was nicely presented but could have been a bit bigger and I would have been prepared to pay more for a larger portion. All in all a very enjoyable meal and evening.

Visited June 2013
3 Thank Dave G
Newport isle of wight
“Perfectly cooked steak :)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2013

After reading a review from a friend,I decided to see what all the fuss was about and take my Mum and Sister for dinner.Now,if you're not from the Island you could easily drive past this place,as its on the high street,and has a narrow entrance to the small car park at the rear.(Large public car park less than 30 seconds away if no room at restaurant).
Luckily for myself we chose to eat there on a Wednesday,which turned out to be steak night!.I subsequently had one of the tastiest,and best prepared Rib eye steaks I have ever eaten :).The restaurant takes on a very homely feeling,and there was a lovely atmosphere throughout.Staff were pretty much impeccable,with smiles and laughs everywhere!.Both my Mum and sister had the Mussels and both commented on how good they were,along with their prawn cocktails which looked and smelt beautiful.
Overall- Great service,great food,great atmosphere!.What more do you need? :)

• Visited June 2013
3 Thank Ant S
Lincoln, United Kingdom
“excellent meal for all ages and tastes”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2013

we visited whilst on holiday, attracted by the boards outside. There was a good choice on menu and they did kids meals at a very reasonable price. The staff were very nice and the restaurant itself was very cosy and traditional in keeping with the age of the building. We weren't long waiting for our food which arrived hot, displayed nicely and in large portions, even the kids meal. We had 3 mixed grills, a scampi and a kids meal and along with drinks our bill was just under £80 which I thought was excellent value for such good quality large portions

• Visited June 2013