“Brilliant place to visit, with great staff” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 8 things to do in Brading
Rotherham, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Brilliant place to visit, with great staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014

We have just visited Brading station, on our recent trip to the IOW to see where my ancestor William Wheway was station master for ten years (1912-1922). The staff were so friendly and helpful, we did the tour of the signal box, platforms and station masters office, which was amazing value at a £1 each. But the extra special surprise was seeing photos of William with his two wives, and one of him on the platform. I recommend anyone go and look at the great job the volunteers have done, to preserve such a wonderful place.

Visited July 2014
3 Thank Bevnicholes

Manchester, United Kingdom
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Brading Station”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014

If you are on the IOW take time out to visit Brading Station Visitor Centre and Signal Box. If travelling by train take time to get off and catch the next one, that may be your intention, but when you get chatting time (and trains) just keep on going by! I went there last year and also called in last week and will keep going back when I'm on the island to see what additions have been made. You will not be disappointed and you will be made to feel very welcome by John & Christine who make things run smoothly. However check opening days as some days are closed.
When you look at the condition of the signal box compared with the ivy overgrown mess of a few years ago it really is a credit to ALL involved in its restoration and indeed the whole station.
Just one very slight comment on my part - fetch back the kettle and get rid of that awful coffee 'machine' thing, I hate coffee from those!
I went on my own but I'm sure children would enjoy the signal box visit. .

Visited May 2014
Isle of Wight, United Kingdom
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Trains”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2013

Out of the way, ok if you like trains. The coffee is cheap in the tea room and I don't mean to buy,it like my gran used all chicory and no bean

Visited September 2013
2 Thank Gaspode1
Hertford, United Kingdom
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Brilliant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2013

We called in just as they were closing but the guide was only too happy to show us around. Not bad for only £1! We had a personal guided tour of the station and signal box and nothing was too much trouble. We were a bit late for tea but called in the next day to use the tea room which was very good too. Well worth a visit and easy to get to by train!!

Visited September 2013
1 Thank KEITHandDARREN
Chatham, United Kingdom
143 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 169 helpful votes
“Not Bad.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2013

My wife and I visited Brading station during our recent week on the island and found the experience very enjoyable. I visited as a train enthusiast and my wife as a long suffering wife, but we both agreed afterwards it was worth the visit. The fee on the day was £1 each which seemed exceptional value for money all things considered! You can either make your own way here by car (use the station car park), or travel direct by train.
Our guide was obviously very enthusiastic about the station and signal box and had a lot of information to impart, both about railways in the Isle of Wight and also about signalling,
Both the station and and the signal box are a credit to these people who have lovingly restored them both to a 1950/60s condition which in turn generates its own atmosphere, I even had my picture taken with 'Albert'.
Highlight of the tour is operating some of the old signal box levers though they are now disconnected from any external equipment.
Worth a visit even if you are just curios about what an old signal box was like, if you can catch it on an open day.

Visited August 2013