“Luxury in a historic city”

M'Ar De Ar Aqueduto
Ranked #4 of 24 Hotels in Evora
Fortaleza
“Luxury in a historic city”
Reviewed 11 October 2013

Great place to stay in this city that dates back to the Romans. Rooms are spacious and comfortable. Great breakfast and service. Staff was very fast and helpfull. Walking distance to main sites of interest. Excellent experience!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Czech first
Lisbon, Portugal
Reviewed 7 October 2013

That's what it felt like to be in M'ar de Ar. Relaxing from the first until the last second. The staff was very helpful, the room was very confortable and quiet with a very nice balcony. When you enter the spa, time stops and 60 min in the spa staff feel like 5min. Totally recommend the sushi bar, the ham / cheese toast and the Gin’s selection.

Room Tip: Jacuzzi rooms totally worth the price.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank antbri
Lisbon, Portugal
Reviewed 28 September 2013

This is a modern hotel with a taste of tradition. The building combines old recovered areas with modern construction providing an interesting experience. The scenery is quit nice with well maintained gardens.
The service and food were good as expected for such a hotel, apart from some occasional let downs (I had several meals at the hotel).
The rooms are great, spacious and well equipped.
Overall I was very happy with this choice.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the swimming pool.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 September 2013

It is a design hotel, and so should not be criticized for not being really in keeping with old world Evora. So as long as you know what to expect this is a great hotel. If not, try a Pousada.

We did not try the restaurant as we were only there one night, but assume it is up to the standard of everything else. Parking under the hotel, efficient check-in, and excellent location in walking distance from all the sights.

We had the suite, which was huge. (And hence not bad value, considering) The the hotel is low level (and I'm sure they cannot build upwards inside the town walls) so although the room had a great terrace (suntrap in the morning) it does not really have a view.

Nice pool, We stayed in second half of September, so cannot comment on whether it is crowded at peak times.

Room Tip: If you have money to splash, the suite 214 is great and has a terrace.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Scotland
Reviewed 19 September 2013

Very good hotel, lovely rooms, and great staff. We were unfortunate enough to have booked our accommodation through Clever Hotels, they had gone into receivership the week before we arrived, and unknown to us had cancelled our hotel and run away with our money. (nice of them!) However the staff were very good and tried to do the best for us and managed to let us stay for three nights with them.
The location is very good and the breakfast is excellent. The only downside was the internet never being accessible other than in the main reception area. This would not have bothered us normally, but due to us having to look for alternative accommodation, it became a big issue for us.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Prague, Czech Republic
Reviewed 15 September 2013

I visited this hotel only for one night in 2011 due the fact that we were visiting our friends in Lagos on Algarve coast, so not so much time. We were extremely happy with the room and small terrace leading to the pool and garden. Great beds!!!!!!! We had a great food in the evening - sushi and fusion cuisine was excellent. The only downside was the low knowledge about wines and wine service in the bar, but everything else was amazing.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Lancashire, UK
Reviewed 8 September 2013

Let me start the review with a disclaimer. My review reflects my experience at the hotel. I do not doubt that others have had better experiences. Just mine wasn't so great. The hotel is in an excellent location in the wonderful city of Evora. You can walk all around the old part and the various attractions. It also has a spa and swimming pool and the views of the aqueduct are nice (my room overlooked the aqueduct). The staff were generally helpful and courteous (but see below). So why the 3 stars you ask. Firstly, I was expecting better from the hotel. The rooms are nice but that's about all I can say about it. There was some sort of attempt at art deco styling but it lacked the finesse. Overall, the room was nice and spacious but lacked real character. The bathroom was also nice and spacious. I would have rated the hotel better but it failed my fundamental test of clean bed and clean bathroom. When I arrived in the room I found hair in the hand towels and ants crawling on some of the other towels. When I called reception they were quite apologetic and sent someone over straight away. The person who arrived was rather stand-offish to the point that I ended up apologising for raising the issue. Once they had seen the towels they did apologise and changed them. However, no notice was taken of my comment that some ants seem to be around the floor too. I discovered later that there were a few and that's how they were getting to the towels (perhaps the sweet smell of the soap). The shower tiles lower down had mould and needed better cleaning. And, the shower though nice and big (in a separate cubicle from the bath I should add) leaked water through its screen all over the floor.

And I agree with the other comments - the Internet is rather poor. One would expect much better from a hotel of this standard.

Would I stay here again? Perhaps not. The hotel is nice but that's all. I'd prefer to stay at another hotel in the area.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with the garden view. It is nice and quiet and you get to look out over the aqueduct.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business