“What a quiet place!”

Ranked #3 of 20 Evora B&B and Inns
Walhain, Belgium
“What a quiet place!”
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Stayed in the "wine" room, quite spacious but a bit humid. The farm is located in a very quiet environnement. Good breakfast with home made orange cake. Delicious! Without driving instructions, not easy to find.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

teresa v, Manager at Monte do Serrado de Baixo, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Hi!
I'm so glad you loved the restaurant of Divor! We always send people there and most come back very happy!
I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us and maybe next time you can come for longer!!!
Teresa

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
LONDON
Reviewed 24 May 2014

Our evening at the Quinta was lovely, and we left only wanting to stay more.

I must say that the restaurant Divoor was one of the best meals I had in Portugal. I highly recommend it for the food location, simple ambiance and most definitely the price.

Room Tip: Get one with a nice outdoor space.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Turaventur A, Owner at Monte do Serrado de Baixo, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
HI!

I'm really happy you enjoyed your stay and João's restaurant. I will let him know how happy you were with your meal there!

Regina
Reviewed 14 May 2014

The Monte is a large farm house that has been renovated recently to be a guest house. There is a common area with a huge fireplace, large screen TV, games and WIFI. Individual bedrooms have four piece ensuite bathrooms and a patio with table and chairs. The rooms are themed by the production of the region,. We stayed in the cork room. Stroll the farm site.
The aqueduct runs right past the farm - turn left and walk or ride to Evora, turn right and loop back to the farm. The staff is so friendly and accommodating.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Hi!
Thank you so much for your review! It will always be a pleasure to have guests that fully understand the atmosphere of our house. We hope to see you back one day!

Bern, Switzerland
Reviewed 13 May 2014

The Monte do Serrado de Baixo Team received us very friendly. The property was simply perfect, the breakfast was excellent with a lot of fabulous regional food. The whole house is very comfortable and clean. We`re looking forward to our next trip to Alantejo and Monte do Serrado de Baixo.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Turaventur A, Proprietário at Monte do Serrado de Baixo, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
Hi Michelle!

great to hear from you! Still smiling everytime I rememebr your arrival to the farm!!!:):):) You have a great spirit!

Whitstable, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 May 2014

Beautiful surroundings with nightingales, cuckoos and orange blossom in full swing. Joana was helpful and friendly.
However, we booked this place because of the cycling mentioned on its web site. We attempted to book bikes a couple of times, giving due notice; request was acknowledged but nothing happened. Tours seemed to take place, but no idea where from. We were offered a look at a collection of classic cars in which we had no interest - indeed we were nearly cleaned out by three hurtling down the road.
Worst of all, we booked an evening meal, - turned out to be a takeaway from the restaurant where we'd eaten on our first night. It cost a load - far more than if we'd gone to the restaurant ourselves, so watch out for that: there was never a suggestion of a takeaway until it arrived. Laundry cost 7.50 which we thought excessive, and avoid the ice creams in the freezer until you've checked how long they've been there.
Rooms are very dark, impossible to get sunlight in, though comfortable enough - fine in the height of summer maybe, but not in Spring and not for us as Northern Europeans.

Room Tip: Check carefully. We had the wine room which had a mezzanine with a single bed - difficult for child...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
teresa v, Proprietário at Monte do Serrado de Baixo, responded to this review, 11 May 2014
Dear Barbara,

I'm truly sorry we didn't fulfill your expectations. I have your evaluation form on my desk and was going to e-mail you this week, but obviously not fast enough.

I talked with Joana about the bike's comment, because I was very surprised about it. We have 50 bikes in our garage, and 8 were out when you were here. They are all ready to use and we have all interest in renting them out! We charge for that service, we don't offer them, so there is no reason not to give them to someone that wants to rent them! Joana said you mentioned the bikes and you were informed by her to let her know if you wanted them, and that you never mentioned it again, so she thought you didn't want them. The day after you went walking and she found you on the road and gave you sa lift back, and mentioned the bikes and you said you were going to Monsaraz.

I really think there was some misunderstanding here. I would appreciate if you could tell me if you talked with anyone else about the bikes, or only Joana. I talked with all my staff - not so many - and all say you did not ask them for bikes.

Regarding the tours, we don't "push them". They are available and the flyers are in the house, at the entrance, on the reception desk, on the living room and usually in the rooms. If you wanted to do one you only had to ask for it. We regard the farm and the adventure company as 2 different realities, they complement each other but we don't want our guests to fill they MUST be active to be here. Most people just come to relax.

Evening meal is a home made meal, not done by us but done by another family business nearby. If you add the cost of the meal to the fact you had a person just serving you for 2 or 3 hours plus the cost of getting the meal, you will find out that 24 euros per person is not so expensive. You got more than 2 starters, main course and dessert. And all of good quality. We loose money by serving meals and only do it for the comfort of our guests. Most small places like ours will simply tell you to go out for dinner. We suply the service at the price we consider fair. Most guests that stay for several nights and have one meal end up booking another one, and Joao's food is great, as you probably agree - at least you don't mention the food as being a problem, only the price. It is not possible to do it for a smaller price, unfortunately.

Regarding the ice creams, they are all within date, so I don't know what happened with the one you took. I was not informed about any complaint, and already asked and no one had a complaint. So I suppose you didn't refer it to us. Those things are better mentioned straight a way so that we can see what's the problem, now it's difficult to find out.

I will talk with the staff about the speed on the road and I'm truly sorry that you had meeting with someone driving too fast.

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 April 2014 via mobile

I can't fault my time spent at Monte do Serrado de Baixo, the property was just perfect, all the team were extremely friendly, the food and hospitality were excellent ... you must try the delicious orange cake!! The rooms were clean and equipped with everything you could need. I wouldn't hesitate recommend this guesthouse.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Rachael H
Hi Rachel!

Thanks for your words, I'm really glad you enjoyed! Hope to see you back another time, either at our farm either at another of our cycling routes!

Watford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 March 2014

Had a wonderful 2 day stay in MSB, cannot fault anything. Particularly the friendly and incredibly helpful staff, learning much of local culture. Very comfortable farmhouse and really enjoyed the open fire ( February visit)
Breakfasts where delicious. We hired excellent bikes for one days riding on local EcoPista to Arriaolos, also really enjoyed walking along footpath by aquaduct.
Being keen on wildlife I was really impressed with the abundance of birdlife everywhere we went
Will definitely be back for another visit

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank R0bertH0pkins
Robert,

It's a pleasure to read nice comments like yours, it's all we work for! I hope you do come back and maybe you can teach me something about bird watching as it is my big handicap!