“Really good value”

Cuisines: Portuguese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 2 October 2013

Visited the S Luis recently and I would recommend it to anyone.Very welcoming staff,good choice of starter and excellent steaks.Between the six of us we had a selection of breads and starters,2 bottles of red wine,six steak dinners and six Baileys with Brandies and the total bill was less than €150.The resteraunt does take a bit of finding in the mase of small streets but its worth the search.

1  Thank taxifor4

Reviewed 11 September 2013

We had dinner yesterday evening as recommended by the owner of the Quinta where we stayed in the Restaurante S. Luis. I was not very amazed about the food I (or we) got. The starters (olives, a paste made of braised meat and bread) were really okay. But I've seen better things in other restaurants. My beefsteak was ... not so good. It was quite tender but neither grilled nicely (which brings flavor) nor "medium" as requested. The meat was completely gray. As side dishes you get a spinach puree, which was tasty but not very nice to look at as the greens were in fact more gray than green... And we got fried potatoes, fatty and not very crisp, again...

Apart from the food: the place is very nice. One of the nicest looking restaurants we've been in Portugal so far.

The service could be a little quicker... I guess the paying process took 20 minutes or so..

Reviewed 24 July 2013

The couple running the restaurant was very welcoming, and helpful in choosing a great meal. The beef filets melted in the mouth, the pork was full of flavor. A cauliflour bread bake made for a delicious and uncommon side dish. Incl. wine and bread we paid 33EUR, so great value.

1  Thank chillu23
Reviewed 12 January 2013

I had dinner here with my family and friends on Dec 31 2012 at 40Euro/person.
I have never tested any more terrible than this. Also quantity was poor, but the real problem was the quality of food. As special gift, they presented us as a tray with some piece of different cakes, probably what was left for the day before.
During my holidays in Portugal this is the only bad experience among wonderful dinners everywhere.

2  Thank AndreaDS1967
Reviewed 23 November 2012

Although we were early arriving for our reservation we received a very warm welcome. The restaurant was recommended by the receptionist at our pension, and certainly lived up to his description. The lady who waited on us also did some of the cooking and explained very patiently the sauces which accompanied the meal. The soup was excellent, and the main courses, lamb chops, beef steak, and salmon, were all cooked to perfection, served with a choice of vegetables, and delicious. The only problem was that, with such huge portions, no-one had room for the tempting desserts. The wine was excellent, and with coffees, the bill for four of us came to just over 60 Euros! The menu had a wide choice of local dishes, the room was most comfortable and characterful, and we had a lovely meal

2  Thank skill44