“Perfect stay in Evora.”

Albergaria do Calvario
Ranked #1 of 26 Hotels in Evora
Reviewed 24 May 2014

Upon arriving at the hotel, I was greeted by someone parking my car and taking my luggage for me. As I was checking in, I was offered a welcome drink. I chose a glass of white wine which was delicious. As I sipped my wine, someone from the hotel sat down with me to show me a map of Evora and point out all of the cultural spots as well as restaurants. They had a list of which monuments were open and times, a list of recommended restaurants, and suggestions.

The room was well appointed with a comfortable bed, nice shower, refrigerator, and hair dryer. A bottle of water was left in the room as well. I slept well because the bed was comfortable and the hotel was quiet.

For breakfast, I was pleasantly surprised by the organic buffet. This wasn't an ordinary buffet! There were 4 different types of fresh squeezed juices, fresh fruit salad, yogurt with a variety of toppings like hemp seed, bee pollen, and granola, and cakes. In addition to the buffet, you could order off of their menu such as pancakes, french toast, or eggs. Incredible service too.

What I like most about the hotel staff was the service. The staff truly made me feel like it was their pleasure to help me. My reservations in Faro got changed at the last minute and they helped me rebook my entire stay!!! They called places for me, cancelled reservations, and made recommendations. They recommended another hotel in Vila Nova Milfontes that was amazing as well. I honestly couldn't have asked for friendlier, more helpful service with a smile. They are the best.

I would go back to Evora purely to stay at this hotel! Amazing place.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Write a ReviewReviews (1,875)

Reviewed 20 May 2014

The room size is standard European style. But this is more than made up by the exemplary service by each and every staff member we encountered. Owners have empowered their staff to do whatever is necessary to ensure guests totally enjoy their stay at this hotel. This was such a refreshing, positive experience. Breakfast served was very good and options plentiful on the buffet plus a menu to order made-to-order items. The chef even made me French toast with egg whites only (allergic to yolks). We highly recommend this hotel to anyone visiting the lovely town of Evora.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade if you have booked a standard room. The extra bit of space is worth it.
Reviewed 19 May 2014

This is from now on my favourite hotel. It doesn't have a wellness, there's no swimming pool, there is no animation crew, there is no starstruck restaurant simply because it doesn't need it. This hotel is great, warm and welcoming, simply outstanding. The staff seems sincerely happy to have you as a guest. Our room was perfect, the breakfast (with organic food) just superb with all the care one reserves for one's best friends, the service impeccable ... Their small and very nicely made up booklet with tips for visiting the town, the countryside and the staff's favourite restuarants is perfect. What can I say? From all the 4 and 5-star hotels we've been to, this is certainly the most charming, simply the best.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank eddiegul
Reviewed 18 May 2014

We do not give 5 stars often. The hotel is relatively small, and the room we had was pleasant, well appointed, and offered all we needed. There are nice sitting areas, both inside and out. Parking as available, and your car will be parked for you. What makes this hotel special are the kitchen and the staff. Our breakfast was excellent. But most of all, the staff were the best trained, friendliest and most personable staff we have met to date in our 3 months in Spain and Portugal. The moment we drove in, a friendly young man welcomed us, opened our car door, told us we just needed to walk into the hotel, took our car to its parking area, and delivered our bags to our room. We were welcomed by the desk staff, who offered us a refreshing drink while we booked in. They explained what the town offered, where the best restaurants were, and gave us a local map. The hotel was in a great spot, so we could just leave our car and walk everywhere. Evora is beautiful. We really regretted only having one night there.

Reviewed 18 May 2014

The staff were wonderful. Our room was a downstairs suite with a kitchen and a sitting room. Very cosy and beautifully decorated. We loved the inn. Truly the best breakfast we have ever had! I dream about the almond tart. I wish I could get the recipe!

Reviewed 16 May 2014

Excellent hotel with outstanding service from all the staff. Michelle greeted us on arrival with a very warm welcome. Went through all the hotel had to offer along with places to visit in Evora. Provided us with a list of restaurants that the staff frequent with descriptions of what type of food they offer and price. Booked a table at a restaurant that served the local blackened pork which was excellent. Had a complimentary drink outside in the patio area and then she showed us to our room. Breakfast was buffet style but was excellent and there was also a choice of hot food as well. Would highly recommend this hotel, they have exceptional staff working for them and it was a pleasure to stay there.

Reviewed 13 May 2014

This hotel is lovely spot within the walls of Evora. The rooms are spotless, breakfast is fantastic, and I can't begin to say enough nice things about the staff! They are a remarkable bunch of people. Truly.

Unlike many hotels, the food they serve here is delicous. Fresh soups, salads, sandwiches, and cheese and meat platters large enough to share. Light, healthy meals are not that easy to find in Portugal, and these fit the bill perfectly.

Their list of restaurant recommendations were fantastic. Give them a try, and let them make reservations for you. Most of the restaurants are very small.

There is private parking, a bar, and a staff that will help you any way they can. The rates are very reasonable, and their food is also very reasonably priced. A great place in every way.

1  Thank FoodFan1966