This is one of the nicest hotels we have ever visited: rather like staying with charming but non-intrusive friends. We stayed in suite 4, which was simple, well-furnished and spacious: shortly after checking in, we extended our stay by another three days, having recognised we had found somewhere special. Breakfast, as commented on in other reviews, is to rave about: perfect poached eggs (free-range); fabulous Brazilian organic coffee; local produce including, when we were there, delicious Evora figs.
The staff are effortlessly helpful and friendly: they organised a car and driver to take us prehistory-spotting, and their restaurant recommendations were spot-on. Rather eccentrically we were travelling round Portugal on public transport, and they printed out for us times of buses we didn't even know existed (as accessible only in Portuguese).
Evora is a lovely, unspoilt, tiny walled city, and authentically Portuguese, unlike the Algarve. We enjoyed so much there: an exhibition of Francis Bacon drawings, tiled churches, atmospheric mediaeval alleyways, adventures with the cuisine and wine (both excellent). We hope to explore a different part of Portugal on another visit, and will build in a trip to this hotel as part of our travels.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Albergaria do Calvario is ideally located within the beautiful city walls of Evora. On the site of a 16th-century olive oil mill, the gated entry leads to a beautiful courtyard creating a centerpiece for the surrounding lobby, guest rooms, and common areas. This unique 4-star hotel provides modern luxury and contemporary styling while preserving its connection to the past and the unique identity of Evora. Each of the 22 guest rooms, including four suites, offer wireless Internet, a flat screen television, and heating and air conditioning. Every room is designed for restful comfort with superior beds, high quality linens, and a pillow menu. Beautiful marble, modern fixtures, and all glass enclosures create a thoroughly modern bath experience. Albergaria do Calvario is very well known for its exceptional all-inclusive breakfast featuring fresh, organic, and locally-grown products in abundant supply. Order from a full bar and a hand-selected menu of homemade tapas that may be enjoyed indoors or in the open courtyard. Twenty-four hours a day no request is too small or unique. Every staff member is eager to arrange services such as; tours and activities, dining reservations, and room service—all included with each stay. Laundry, ironing, and dry cleaning are also available at reasonable rates. A list of non-published services is also available and designed to help the traveler discover the best of local and regional experiences.All of the attractions of Evora are within short walking distance on sidewalks and charming cobblestone streets. Highlights within the city walls include the Se Cathedral and hidden gems like the Igreja dos Loios. Featured day trips include nearby wineries, cork oaks, historic cities, and tours of prehistoric megalithic sites. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Agoda and Odigeo so you can book your Albergaria do Calvario reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Albergaria Do Calvario Évora
- Albergaria Do Calvario Hotel Évora