“Peace, history and atmosphere”

Convento do Espinheiro, A Luxury Collection Hotel & Spa
Ranked #2 of 26 Hotels in Evora
Reviewed 24 November 2013

This is a tribute to a man who had the audacity to recover an old ruin of a convent to become a luxury boutique hotel.
Everything is beautifully restored to its formal glory and still offers you a unique experience.
Rooms are large and well equipped with a very good toilet, not mentioning the excellent bed and sleep quality.
The service is 100% professional and attentive even when one travels in large groups like I did.
The only letdown was the breakfast since some of the products displayed are of low to average quality, like the jams, choice of bread, hams and cheese.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
dinipir, General Manager at Convento do Espinheiro, A Luxury Collection Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for your preference for Convento do Espinheiro, A Luxury Collection Hotel & Spa and for taking the time to share your opinion through Trip Advisor.
The owning family'a first contact with this magnificent convent was in 1999, and was undoubtedly a case of love at first sight... the building was in need of intensiver refurbishment, but is grandeur, its uniqueness and the fact that it played such an important roll in the history of our small country during the 15th and 16th centuries, were enough to convince them that this convent deserved to be placed back in the limelight.
And thus, after 3 years of intensive refurbishment Convento do Espinheiro was ready to welcome its guests and it is a pleasure for our team to share its magic with those who chose to visit us.
Thank you so much for your kind feedback and we sincerely hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the future, and hopefully that this time, every detail (including breakfast) will be up to your just expectations.

Reviewed 23 November 2013

The minute we arrived at this boutique hotel (formerly a convent), I got excited. The property's uniqueness and tranquil beauty transports even the most weary traveler into a spiritual state. When one enters the cozy lobby area the very professional staff immediate greets you (we were presented with a little cordial). As others have stated in their review, the tour of the property is ell worth it. The chapel area is absolutely gorgeous, and a historical masterpiece. The upstairs library, outdoor courtyard, dining room, chic wine cellar, and communal lounge areas are original to the monestary and have been converted to fit the needs of the hotel, yet the designers/architects have brilliantly kept the integrity of the original use and structure despite the modern use. The rooms are fabulously cozy, and modern, and the most thrilling feature is the ultra modern bidet (motorized for a custom "aim, shoot, fire"...lol) We had a gorgeous view of the outdoor pool area and vineyards that wind around the property. The outdoor pool is not heated, but refreshing and it is "infinity style" with a sleek water fall. There is also a nice indoor pool. I would say the only "disappointment" is the very small workout space that houses a couple of decent treadmills, and little else. Then again, this place is about beauty, tranquility and meditative states...Certainly book this place if you will be visiting beautiful Evora and you want to really feel the spiritual and renewed.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cyclechick62

Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for having chosen Convento do Espinheiro, A Luxury Collection hotel & Spa and for taking the time to share your comments through Trip Advisor.
It was indeed a pleasure to read your kind words and to learn that you enjoyed a relaxing stay at our unique convent, which we are indeed so proud of. I am also very satisfied to read that the services provided by our young team were up to your expectations, and we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you again in the near future.

Reviewed 18 November 2013

My husband and I spent a long weekend here and loved every moment. This converted monastery has been beautifully restored making full use of the wonderful architecture. The staff, as well as being helpful, friendly and efficient, were rightly proud of their hotel. We actually joined a guided tour to find out more about the history of the building.
Breakfast was excellent and we ate two nights in the wonderfully atmospheric dining room in the old cellars. The meals included lots of fresh, local seasonal food beautifully presented. Free wine tastings are also held every evening in the ancient converted cisterna.
Our room was in a newer purpose built wing which is very comfortable if not as authentic. Our balcony had a lovely view over the outdoor pool and gardens.
I completely struggle to recognise some of the recent reviews on this site. Our experience was great and I would happily return to Convento do Espinheiro.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jackie D
dinipir, General Manager at Convento do Espinheiro, A Luxury Collection Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 26 November 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for having chosen Convento do Espinheiro, A Luxury Collection Hotel & Spa and also for taking the time to share your opinion through Trip Advisor.
It was a pleasure to read your kind words and to learn that you enjoyed your stay at "our" Convent which we are indeed so proud of. Most of our young team has been with us since our opening in 2005, and as well as the impressive refurbishment of this unique building, I truly believe that our team is our greatest asset. We are also very happy that you enjoyed your meals as we do our best to promote the delicious ingredients that this wonderful region of Portugal has to offer.
We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Évora in the near future.

Reviewed 13 November 2013

I struggle to understand the recent less than stellar reviews here of the Convento do Espinheiro. My recent three night stay was nearly perfect, and provided a great long weekend of relaxation, beauty, and exemplary service after a rough work week nearby.

Pros:

Enthusiastically friendly reception staff, in particular Patrick (I think), as well as other staff throughout the hotel.

Beautiful landscaped gardens, orchards, and other outdoor spaces.

Amazing indoor spaces from the historic chapel and monastery to the almost seamlessly added modern wings, was beautiful throughout.

Restaurant was top-notch, featuring delicious local inspired modern cuisine and an interesting local wine list.

Many more...

Cons:

Biggest one - There were flys in my room upon check in, at least ten, as well as several mosquitos. I managed to kill a few but they persisted throughout my stay.

As others suggest, the TV was wonky. I didn't even bother after the first couple attempts.

Modern wing has cracks in the paint and doors that don't join properly, not features you'd expect to see from a three year old building. This isn't really a detractor from the hotel experience, but it makes me wonder if the proprietor is doing things on the cheap?

I checked out at 05:30, and the cobblestone path to the carpark, which includes dozens of steps, was completely unlit - pitch dark! It took me ten minutes to navigate the 200 feet from the hotel entrance to my car, shuffling one foot unsurely in front of the other. I was of course offered assistance, but declined not realising the monumental task ahead of me! (I am 35 and in quite a healthy state)

In conclusion, you might be thinking that my "cons" should subtract a star or two from my overall rating, but the "pros" so hugely outweigh them that I am willing to overlook a fault or two and enthusiastically recommend Convento do Espinheiro to anyone staying in the Evora area.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank btbx11
dinipir, General Manager at Convento do Espinheiro, A Luxury Collection Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for having chosen Convento do Espinheiro, A Luxury Collection Hotel & Spa and for taking the time to share your opinion through Trip Advisor.
It is indeed a pleasure to read that in general, you enjoyed the hotel and the service provided by our young team, and I have taken the liberty to share with them your kind words.
I am sorry however for the shorfalls that you encountered during your stay and for the fact that they made for a less than perfect stay with us.
Regarding the TVs, unfortunately the bad signal has been caused by the fact that we are changing the TVs in the older wing for new ones, and only just recently have we been able to solve this problem.
During the past months we have had a team in-house doing paint work in all the older wing but indeed, as you say, the modern wing, which was built in 2008, also has several areas in need of maintenance, and we shall hopefully adress these during the coming months.
I sincerely apologize for the fact that our staff did not provide a complete service, and that you had to struggle with luggage after check out. Thank you however for your understanding and all your kind and constructive feedback. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to "our" convent, and if I may be of any assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Reviewed 13 November 2013

The management and staff of this hotel clearly love this place. It is an amazing hotel with a rich history. Take the 5 pm tour hosted by the manager. He has dedicated his life to this place. The wine bar is unique and great. The entire experience is the best we had in Portugal.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for having chosen Convento do Espinheiro and for having taken the time to share your opinion throught Trip Advisor.
i am grateful also for your kind words; this property is indeed a unique and magical place which myself and this fantastic young team are fortunate enough to work in every day. We have been captivated by its beauty and the richness of its history and it is undoubtedly a pleasure to share this with our guests.
It makes us very happy to learn that you enjoyed "our" convent and I sincerely hope that we may have the pleasure of welcoming you again to Convento do Espinheiro in the near future.
Kindest regards,

Reviewed 6 November 2013

How can any hotel owners have possession of such a splendid convent with all the potential and forget to train the staff. Fortunately there are a few good restaurants in the area so we did not need to eat in the hotel. At breakfast,the first morning the service was lamentable, the tablecloth filthy and the food scrappy. The staff did not seem to know the first thing about service. At this point we decided NOT to eat in the hotel.
Just to add; the rooms were large and airy but the soundproofing left a lot to be desired.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Patricia R
dinipir, General Manager at Convento do Espinheiro, A Luxury Collection Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 14 November 2013

Dear Guest,
I am sorry however that your food & beverage experience was not up to your expectations and I may assure you that I have personally adressed the points you mentioned with our Restaurant Supervisor so as to avoid similar unacceptable situations in the future.
Thank you again for your feedback and if I may be of any further assistance in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Reviewed 4 November 2013

This hotel have all the potential to be a perfect romantic spot. Spacious and comfortable rooms, nice weather around the year, beautiful "Disney style castle" experience, the most amazing church inside, the most friendly staff....

It is very disappointing to see some "amateur" faults to destroy all that potential... Some of those, not even acceptable on a 3 star hotel...

1) no TV signal on the room
We stayed on the "new" building of the hotel. When zapping the TV Channels we could not found one with good image... It seams a detail but it ruins part of the experience. You don't want to spend all the time in the room, but "no TV" room is like a 2 star hotel.

2) No receptionist on the Spa
Seams like the hotel doesn't have enough money to keep a receptionist on the SPA. There is no support at all if you want to use that infra-structure... Not even on the weekend, with a lot of guests... Unacceptable.
There is a policy that no children allowed after 3pm... At 6pm the place was full of children screaming around, opening the sauna doors, etc... If you make a rule, you better keep it... But there's no one to avoid rules to be broken... Not even a receptionist!
Overall the Spa is weak, not deserving the "& Spa" in the name... Unless there are hidden infrastructures and services... But again, no receptionist to explain...

3) where is breakfast?
This hotel is a labyrinth... That is part of it's magic... But there should be signs to the most basic places. The restaurant is not in a obvious place and there is no directions...

4) Am I a Starwood preferred Guest?
Sending an email message right after your stay seams a good idea.... Unless you mess up with the customer's name. This is he perfect case where doing nothing is better than doing it wrong!

In short,
on the pros: big 'enough' comfortable rooms, nice staff, nice historic building, breakfast product quality...

On the cons: no TV signal on the rooms, poor Spa, very expensive restaurant (not justified by the quality provided), small breakfast area and options (but good quality).

It would be a "perfect" for a 3 star, a "very good" for a 4 star and a "regular" for a 5 star... But it is a "poor" taking in consideration the expectations raised for a 5 star with "luxury collection" brand...

Hope this helps them to improve and correct the issues that ruined our expectations...

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Pedro C
dinipir, General Manager at Convento do Espinheiro, A Luxury Collection Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2013

Dear Guest,
Firstly, we would like to thank you for having chosen Convento do Espinheiro, A Luxury Collection Hotel & Spa and also for taking the time to share your opinion through Trip Advisor.
Regarding the TV signal, we are sincerely sorry for the inconvenience caused. We have recently been receiving new TVs for the rooms in our older wing, and unfortunately, the set up of these new equipments has caused an interference in the signal of all the TVs in the hotel, which only this week we were able to solve.
Your feedback regarding the spa experience is of utmost importance as this is definitely not the type of experience we want to offer our guests. Thank you for the detailed facts and please be assured that I have personally addressed this situation with our Spa Supervisor in order to avoid similar events in the future.
On a positive note, I was happy to read that you found our staff friendly , and I believe that apart from this magnificent historic building, they our definitely our most valuable asset, extremely committed to their work and to improving the quality of the service, with the help of the priceless input from our guests.
We hope that we may have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the future, and if I may be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.