“A Great Time”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Algarve
Holiday Village Algarve Balaia
Ranked #108 of 520 Hotels in Algarve
Reviewed 22 October 2012

Having made a late booking for my wife son (11) and myself we were pleased when we arrived. Having booked 11nights, from the 24th September to the 4th October, we are all really looking forward to a well-earned break. At this point I would say rest; although this was the plan this never actually happened.

Everything from the flight, transfer and checking in was simple, We were told that the room might not be ready until 4pm but when we arrived at the hotel at 1030am our room was ready. We stayed in block 1 in room 404 and paid an extra £22 for a sea view and this was a well spent £22 it was great having a bird’s eye view of the complex.

The food is buffet with a choice or Portuguese or Italian once a week in the restaurant in block two. I have read a few comments on here about the poor food, I have travelled to many places and the food here is of a very good standard. Food is refreshed if it has been sitting under the hot lamps for too long and if something is running out it is quickly replaced if it gets missed then there are plenty of staff to ask and they get it sorted quickly. Generally we found everything in the hotel to a very good standard

A small complaint would be the maids, they failed to change our bed sheets during our stay, I am happy to wash up any cups we may have used but did find that if we had left any they would still be on the bedside cabinet after they had been around. Was this a big headache for me, not really? I am sure I could mention plenty of other little things that are not quite right and maybe need a little attention but sometimes things get broken and take time to replace or repair.
Now The holiday Reps!! (Day Time)

Where do I start? Most of them are bonkers but are a great bunch of people who really made our holiday, all of them remained professional yet still able to have a good laugh with the holiday makers. It was nice to see their ability to judge people and tailor their own attitude to suit the variety of personalities around the complex. I found myself taking part in just about everything that was on offer, I am not normally the sporty type person but am finding that having a eleven year old son I am becoming so. There are plenty of activities to get involved in you can pick and choose what you like, some are family events and some adult or child only so a great mix. We really enjoyed the volley ball, climbing (mini go ape) thing which Frankie broke her existing record with a time of 1min 16secs, I made a challenge for this record and achieved a 2min 28secs which resulted in some stick. However with some coaching from Frankie I achieved a respectable time of 1min 53secs so a big thank you Frankie. They also made up a number of events including gladiator (Jen – AKA Davina) which was all a bit of fun however some people take things a little too seriously – Trampoline instructor you really need to lay off the pressure your putting on your family, it’s a holiday it’s fun you’re not at the Olympics!!! Archery was another thing we all tried and actually really liked it, maybe that’s because it’s less energetic.
The Kids club was really well organised and this has to be the first holiday my son has ever wanted to go to a kids club, normally he finds the age groups are too broad and the activities are boring and catered for the young children but here they age ranges were narrower and the activities were enjoyed with some nights they offered the kids club between 9pm and 11pm which gave us a nice break to sit and chat with people we had met. A Big thank you the Frankie and Mark for introducing us to Texas Holdem.

My son also signed up for the rookie life guard course and some additional swimming lessons which he really loved. Carolyn you’re a great instructor thank you.
The Evening Reps and Entertainment

Sorry not my cup of tea, everything was toooooooo loud and pretty much the same every night some of the best nights were when the day time reps put on a show. I’m afraid the evening part of the holiday was disappointing. First Choice if you’re reading this then I would suggest you really look at this side of your holiday offering. You may want to look at bringing in some local entertainment, having your own entertainment that do nothing but sing was pretty poor IMHO.

So a big thank you to
Frankie, Mark, Jen, Terry, Josh, Jordan, Carolyn, Dee and everyone else I might have forgot you all made our holiday great and hope to bump into you in the future.

2  Thank Darren B
There are newer reviews for Holiday Village Algarve Balaia

Reviewed 21 October 2012

I went with my children aged 15,10,6 and the holiday reps didn't even acknowledge them once they were very ignorant. The waitress's were also very ignorant and only spoke to the young children overall It was crap we had more fun going to the old and new town. I wouldn't go back and I wouldn't recommend it.. always the same music played 24/7 making it feel like ground hog day

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank Boo197
Reviewed 20 October 2012

Just arrived home from a week All-inc at this resort in Portugal with my partner and two girls (age 13 & 7).We all had a fantastic time, We are well rested while the girls had non-stop fun.
The accommodation itself is very clean and well equipped. Our room was huge (family apartment which sleeps 4)in block 2, though I heard from other guests that some other rooms are slightly on the small side, but still functional for the time you spend in the room, The food, well, what can I say, I have no idea why people are complaining about it. The buffet choice was always fab and food is plentiful, There is something for even the fussiest of eaters. The Al a carte restaurants are good too. The snack bars are fine for when you don't want a big meal.
Drinks are reasonable, cocktails aren't amazing but everything else is the same standard you expect at home,
The thing that makes this hotel special for families are the First Choice Reps.....the entire team are AMAZING. How they remember everyones names I will never know. My kids loved the I Five Live show every night (so did we to be honest). Big thank-you to James, Jason, Adele, Eleanor, Tom, Mark, Frankie and Jordan (to name but a few!) for making the kids holiday so special.

Room Tip: Hotel is split into two parts, block 2 is situated down a steep hill but is definitely quieter if yo...
3  Thank Lisa S
Reviewed 19 October 2012

We came back from a weeks holiday here at the beginning of October & we had an amazing time!
Travelled with my partner, 3 year old daughter and 1 1/2 year old son.
The food is great! A good selection for everyone.

The only thing I wasn't too keen on was the daytime snacks, which consisted of toasted sandwiches and chips......crisps etc. where chargeable. Also, if you were at the main pool, you would need to take a little walk to the quieter pool (where the slides are) to order you food (& ice cream!).
I reckon if we had gone in holiday time, heat of the Summer - the hotel would be pretty busy!

Before we went, I requested a room in Block 1 (the main building), and I'm so glad I did!
Block 2 is based down a hill, with a much quieter pool and the supermarket! But I do have to say that the steps (approx 30) or the slope, could be quiet tiring some days.
The entertainment team were fab and my daughter loved the dressed up characters - Shrek! She also loved the kids evening entertainment - so much energy by all the staff = well done!

Nothing much close to the hotel in terms of shopping or bars etc. but we did get a taxi into the Old Town which I'm glad we did and was easy to do, no problems!

Swimming pools are very cold!! But you slowly get use to them?!

Overall - a wonderful holiday, perfect weather, ideal hotel for you & your children.

Now looking for our next holiday village hotel!

Room Tip: Request a room in the main building - block 1! Or upgrade for a sea view room.
1  Thank Lucy1002
Reviewed 19 October 2012

We returned to the HV after having such a fantastic 2 weeks there earlier in the summer.From arrival the atmosphere was welcoming and friendly.Staying in Block 1 we benefited from fantastic views of the complex and stunning views of the Ocean,so nice to wake up and step on those massive balconies and take in the morning sun.
The bar staff and restuarant staff were so good,and it was nice to be welcomed back from Fredy with a handshake and saying welcome back Sir,not needed but really nice to hear.
The First Choice staff were outsanding in all their roles,so energetic,not pushy and had time for all holidaymakers.
I must highlight and praise the work/commitment and all round enthusiasm of Marc Hatton,but he is a northern lad so I didnt expect anything less really.
Nightime entertainment was superb for the kids early doors.My three year old daughter could not contain her excitement during her evening meal,she could not wait to get to High Five Live each evening.
Adele,Eleanor,John and James were all outstanding and energetic in what must be a long and tiring day,but each night they treated it like it was brand new.
My little daughter only three completely fell in love with Jason earlier in the summer,and her love for him has only deepened.Her highlight of being presented with a certificate on stage completley made her holiday,and we have had to replay/act out the moment 3 times today for her granparents.
Also thanks to the Highland Fox who helped me look for my little girls comforter when she dropped it from the top floor of the apartment block.
Be proud of yourselves everybody who worked this summer,your a credit to everyone who knows you.

2  Thank chrisandcharlotte
Reviewed 19 October 2012

We returned yesterday after a week here! I was there with my mum, dad and two sisters(im 15).
Ill start by saying dont listen to the bad reviews, i dont know where they where but the definately werent here!
Food- I dont know why some people are complaining about it, it was really good! im such a fussy eater and i was still able to find something to eat every time! There is also food available at the pool side bar at the splash pool which is nice!
Accomidation- i was in block 2 and the steps up to block 1 where all the activity is, really arent that bad unless you have mobility problems or health problems your fine! The location of the hotel is good, its only about 10 minutes away from the shops in albufeira and a 15 minute walk to the beach! Block 1 does have an amazing view though but it would be noisy at night with the people at the bar underneath the rooms all night!
Reps- I loved the reps!! they were amazing and always happy to help! I had my favourites dont get me wrong but they where all brilliant! If you are here in the next 2 weeks make sure you talk to Jen, Hollie, Jason, Josh, jordan and Frankie :)(especially jen and hollie) they are amazing and they never failed to make me laugh once!
Would i go back? anytime!! was absolutely amazing and id recommend it to anyone! From, lauren :)x

2  Thank lauren j
Reviewed 17 October 2012

went here first week of oct and will be going back again, fantastic holiday with hubby and 2 children aged 14 and 12, lots to do for them even though it was oct,weather was great and we all got a nice tan one regret i didnt book for 2 weeks

Room Tip: would pick block one again
2  Thank marie h