“Perfect for families ”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Algarve
Holiday Village Algarve Balaia
Ranked #102 of 522 Hotels in Algarve
Reviewed 16 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the first choice holiday village in Portugal in June for one week. It was myself, my husband and our 1 year old daughter.

It was perfect for children and made our holiday particularly easy, especially at breakfast, lunches and dinners.

The first choice entertainment team were great, the weather was beautiful and there was a huge choice of pools (although they were particularly cold at times).

The hotel has everything you need, we stayed in a family room close to the main pool and restaurant.

I highly recommend HV for families. We would definitely return again.

Stayed: June 2014
8  Thank Kazza9912

Reviewed 16 June 2014

Just got back from a fab holiday here. Just before going we read the bad reviews and was panicking over the trip. This was our 2nd visit and couldn't believe how much the reviews made it sound like it had deteriorated so much! Well don't worry about any of them. The hotel was spotless, constantly seeing maids cleaning. Did not see any mould as described before on any mats or in the rooms. The pools were often cleaned in the am and checked by maintenance daily, and I did not here of anyone with sickness of rashes. Yes the pools were coldish but fine when you got in and kept us refreshed from the heat! Sick of people complaining about this! All the staff were friendly and the entertainment staff were fab, and put a lot of effort into everything. Overall we had a fab holiday, and wish we didn't read the reviews beforehand now. Brilliant place for a holiday especially with kids!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
13  Thank vicky r
Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

Having read some of the reviews on trip advisor I was very dubious about even going to the holiday village algarve. Please can I set the record straight, I have just returned (15th June) and can confirm there is no longer a tummy bug - its gone!
The mats in the restaurant have all been replaced (ikea) and the staff use a weak bleach solution in little orange spray guns to clean tables etc.
The food is of a good quality, it was a bit too 'English' for me but hot food was hot and cold was cold. Plenty to choose from, even my incredibly picky 7 year old ate well. My 1 year old particularly enjoyed the variety of fruit available.
The hotel is very clean and well kept, to those who never saw the pool being cleaned then you need to get up earlier! Everyday at 7.30 ish the pools were cleaned and chlorine levels checked. I didn't see any children with this so called pool rash and both of my children spent considerable time in the water.
By far the best asset to the hotel are the reps. They work tirelessly to ensure you have a good holiday. Yes the entertainment at night is aimed at the kids and my 7 year old loved it. Special mention for xander, polly, adam, miles, Rachel and ben, these guys work so hard, my son will be talking about them for weeks.
My only gripe is the fact that between 5 and 6 you cannot get any food, 6 was a bit late for tea for my 1 year old but the restaurant did not open any earlier, an earlier kids only session might be a good idea for those with very small people.
To sum up we have all had a brilliant holiday, my son cried when we left, PLEASE PLEASE do not let the bad reviews put you off going to a lovely hotel with excellent staff and having a great holiday. I am now actually wondering if some of the reviews are for the same hotel we stayed in! Clearly others have a very different perception of what a family resort is all about.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
33  Thank Belltowers
Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed here at beginning of June travelling with a 3yr old and a 1yr old. First impressions were good hotel is outstandingly clean and tidy considering the amount of glass everywhere and toddlers love of putting grubby hands all over it!
We had a corner sea view apt which meant we were in block 1 and as we were a corner apt we got an extra balcony on the side which was fab.

The apts were lovely and spacious and the kitchen was very well kitted out although we only used the fridge and kettle. Only downside was I felt the bathroom looked a little tired and could do with a refurb. Beds were huge and I thought comfy and the extra bed in the lounge was also comfy. Tv was mostly in Portuguese but we didn't watch it really so no problem for us.

The restaurant was lovely and clean and they always did a good choice of food. It was quite a Britishy menu but then the hotel does cater to mostly uk. kids are well catered for. The snack bar by the splash pool did great lunch time food nothing too exotic just burgers chips hotdogs and toasties and jacket potatoes but good if u didn't want to go back up to the main hotel for lunch.

The pools were great if not a little freezing but I was told the later in the season u go the warmer they get and once you've done a quick swim it warms up fine. The kiddies splash park area was lovely lots of fun looking flumes and slides.

We used the creche for our youngest and the staff were brilliant really friendly and seemed to bond with him straight away all the reps were always very happy and bouncy and the reception staff were really good at giving advice about the local area.

All in all a great holiday. If I went back to Portugal id stay again and I'd recommend this place to any of my friends!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
12  Thank Blueyedgirl19832
Reviewed 15 June 2014

Just got back from a two week holiday with the wife and grandchildren, this is our third stay here and must say it was great, as usual the staff were good and Jo was very helpfull. The only gripe I have is that a lot of the reps activitys (and music) is always at the walkway to the bar and restaurant , and by the seating area, it can sometimes get crowded in that area.It would be better off on the opposite side of the pool. Overall a great place, wonderfull weather.Would highly recommend, and we will return.

Room Tip: High corner rooms offer fab views.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
7  Thank Anton232
Reviewed 14 June 2014

We have just returned from 10 days at the HV Algarve and am so surprised by all the negative comments regarding sickness bugs, food, pools etc!!! Am starting to wonder if we actually stayed at the same place???

We last visited here 2 years ago and have also been to HV Majorca and a few 4 star Thompson family hotels and this is by far the best.

The food was great- always loads of choice, hot, fresh and there were staff regularly cleaning around the areas.

We didn't try the a La Carte or use the snack bar this time as the kids were happy with the restaurant, and so were we.

Our seaview room was again excellent- large,clean, spacious and modern.Yes, the beds weren't changed for 1 week but this appears to be usual in most hotels now. There is also a big environmental emphasis at this hotel- ie automatic lights etc so this ties in with minimising bed changing when not really necessary! I believe the mattresses have been changed since our last visit as before they were noisy but this time were firmer and comfortable.

The pool areas were kept as clean as possible for a family hotel- maybe if people cleared up their empty ice creams pots etc as they went, it would be even cleaner! We didn't hear one comment about skin rashes or sickness the whole time we were here and our kids,aged 5 and 8, spent most of the holiday in the pools.

The evening entertainment is geared mainly towards the kids and the local act ( dancers) were not great but the entertainment team were good dancers, very enthusiastic and kept us entertained most evenings. There is also a separate bar and outdoor area where you can sit, play pool, watch sports etc for older kids and adults.

All of the hotel staff we came across were friendly and helpful and the First Choice Reps were great- my kids took a liking to Adam and Miles and joined in as many activites as possible- archery, aeroball, highropes, walter walker, crossbow, golf etc

Yes the pools are cold but it was only the end of May and it didn't stop all of us going in everyday- both to the splash pool with the slides and the main pool, where most of the daytime entertainment is held.

We had a great time and only left the hotel to walk to the lovely beach one day, as the kids were so happy at the hotel. This is a family hotel, although its a huge complex there are only a few hundred rooms so never any real probs with sunbeds, and so you will get kids and noise and music around the pool. If you are used to a quiet villa holiday then this may not be for you , but if you and your kids like to join in and have loads of fun making friends, then try it!!

Room Tip: Book a seaview room to ensure you are in Block 1 other wise you will have a trek up a hill to get to...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
12  Thank Lian P
Reviewed 13 June 2014

Came back yesterday. 11 of us stayed for 7 nights. 6 adults, 5 children (13, 10, 8, 6 & 10months). The hotel was spotlessly clean, the bar staff, reception staff and reps were all very friendly. The cleaners always said hello with a smile even though they worked tirelessly all day. Not once did the children moan about being bored. Plenty of activities for them. Food was lovely, kids ate so much (they missed a cooked breakfast this morning tho). Pools were fab: cold, but once ur in, it's ok. Snack bars were so useful. Old town is beautiful, defo worth a trip, even just for an ice-cream. Booked excursion to Zoo Marine, defo recommend, had a fab day there. My only issue was that the evening entertainment for the adults was very poor. In the venue, it was generic mediocre holiday park shows and in the Tavern the tv's showed either sport or VH1. Bar closed at 11pm too. Overall, would defo go again :)!!

• Stayed: June 2014