“Where to begin...”

Portobello Ristorante Pizzeria
Ranked #209 of 917 Restaurants in Albufeira
Reviewed 25 June 2018 via mobile

So, upon arrival at the restaurant we were faced with several waiters, none of which paying any attention to our arrival whatsoever. After gaining the attention of one of the waitresses we were told to 'sit down in there'. Somewhat bemused, my girlfriend and I sat down and could not get over how manic the place was. Having worked in really busy restaurants before, the most obvious thing that stood out was that there were way too many tables and way too much staff on shift. There were waiters/waitresses running around, completely unsure as to what was going on and still somehow ignoring our existence. Having ordered the food, what came out was massively underwhelming, my girlfriend's spaghetti looked average and my Parma pizza came with what can only be described as a forest dumped on a plate. I get that the pizza is supposed to have vegetables on it, but when you're having to remove clumps in order to eat, there's an issue.
Finally, the portion sizes were crazy. As a 19 stone rugby player, I LOVE food, so being unable to finish something was highlighting the size of the meal.

This is my first ever negative review. As I mentioned, I've worked in restaurants before and understand how hard these people work, but to be made to feel insignificant wasn't really something I want to pay for.

I'd give it a miss.

Reviewed 24 June 2018 via mobile

Pizza was average but the service was shocking I mean so poor to the point we had to cancel our deserts as we waited nearly 30 mins for a bit of cheesecake. Asked for the bill waited another 10 mins. They are only busy due to location in amongst large hotel complexes. Take the time and go into town instead

Reviewed 23 June 2018 via mobile

Called for a quick bite to eat after a busy day out with our family.

On arrival, there were lots of people waiting around near the entrance and no one from the restaurant paying any attention to them. I went inside, finally caught the eye of a waiter and requested a table. Had to wait around 15 mins so not bad, but nowhere to sit or have a drink so just stood about waiting.

The service throughout the meal was very slow and unorganised and really frustrating when you were constantly asking again and again for things.

The food was okay, a bit bland and nothing special. There was no offer of Parmesan, black pepper etc which may have given more flavour to the meals. The pizzas looked nice so perhaps we ordered the wrong things (pasta based food).

All in all it was a disappointing visit which was a shame as it has put us off returning to what is a really local little restaurant for us on this trip.

Reviewed 20 June 2018 via mobile

Arrived at the door to find a family in front of us but decided we would wait. There was no contact with us for about twenty minutes and we were then told there was a table being cleared and it won't be long. After a further 15 minutes and no sign of any staff coming back to us we decided to call it and left frustrated and hungry. This was definitely the correct decision as if the service is like this before we enter , I am quite sure it can't be much better inside. I will stick to the much better and friendlier restaurant across the road.

Reviewed 17 June 2018

Went here on Monday (the other restaurant we wanted to go to was closed) and didnt really want Italian. However, I am so glad we did. Had Focaccia between the two of us and it was delicious. I went for the Seafood Lasagne WOW. It was the most amazing dish I have ever had. Piping Hot, lots of seafood, bechemel sauce light and tasty, great portion. Wasnt able for the desert - all of which looked amazing. Went again on Friday, thought I would check out the menu and yes, I decided to have the Seafood Lasagne again. Another great meal. Didnt bother with a starter as I wanted to have Tirimisu (which for me is better than sex) for dessert. It was fab. The light texture and the taste - heaven on a plate. The owner gave us a port to go with this and that was very nice too. Not a wine drinker, decided to have the house Rose. Well all I can say, if I could have brought that home, alone with the rest of the meal, I would be sorted for life.

All I can say is that if you are in the area - or even if you aren't staying close by, get a taxi - this restaurant is well worth a visit.

It is closed on Saturday just so you know.

1  Thank Ruth D