“Excellent hotel”

Aqua Pedra dos Bicos Design Beach Hotel
Ranked #9 of 154 Hotels in Albufeira
Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

My first holiday in 11 years and i stayed here. I cannot fault my stay at all. The staff and overall hotel was brilliant. The local area was perfect and I had a wonderful weeks stay here. Would gladly stay again! The food was delicious too, me and my partner had breakfast in the hotel every morning.

Flawless hotel.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jenna K

Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

Myself and my husband stayed at the hotel for a week in June overall we loved it and would return

The main points to mention -

+great location
+walk to beach was very handy
+restaurant and bar staff were outstanding !
+breakfast and dinner was delicious
+rooms were spacious and spotless
+pool area perfect
+cocktails in the bar were great.
+great value for money
+side view room was amazing
+by far the nicest hotel close to the strip

My only negative was the reception staff. Not very helpful. One day the weather wasn't great so we planned a trip to vilamoura. I went to reception to ask the man behind the desk what bus to get. He was quite rude and told me we had to get a taxi (around €8 euros ) to the main bus station in albuferia in the other direction where we would then get info and catch a bus to vilamoura. I asked if there was a bus stop closer and he said no- he was very blunt and obviously trying to rush me. He seemed angry when I asked for a map. We decided not to take the trip for this reason as he made it out to be a difficult journey to make and to get to the bus station we would be travelling back on ourselves. The following day I heard another guest talk about how they got the bus from the top of the street next a 2 min walk from the hotel. I then decided to ask at reception again without mentioning about the info I heard from another guest and the more helpful girl behind the desk told me yes you can catch a bus from right outside the hotel and kindly printed the times off for me. The fact I had been told something completely different the previous day was not acceptable . We didn't take the trip cause of the info the man at desk gave us and if I hadn't overheard another guest we would have probably not gone to visit vilamoura the following day. This let us down . Luckily one member of reception staff was kind enough to help us and give us realistic info. This incorrect info delayed out trip to vilamoura by a day

However, this was only one negative. Everything else was perfect and the waiting and bar staff could not have been more helpful. Particularly Albert and fabio they are a credit to the hotel.

I would love to return to the hotel one day soon

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank BEXHAM1
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Overall this is a modern and Trendy hotel with lots of positives and only a few negatives

+clean, spacious, modern rooms
+ great location near the beach. Strip a walk away and also close to old town
+ we went half board and found that the food was more than enough and at a high quality - food at night included fresh sea bass, sea bream, lamb chops with plenty of fresh veg and also delicious desserts

- people reserving sunbeds: looking at previous comments it seems that the hotel are aware of this but do not seem to be doing anything about this
- lack of customer service from reception staff. Upon arrival, the reception staff were quick to let us know of the additional services the hotel provide including massages and tours. The day after we arrived we tried to book massages in the morning for 3pm. The reception staff said that they would check availability from the masseuse but to take it as a yes that is it going ahead as the hotel had no bookings for that day. The hotel said to confirm the massage an hour before the massage was going to take place. At 2 we went to the reception and it seemed that it was only then that reception was phoning the masseuse. When I tried to find out what was going on I was given quick answers without having the reception staffs full attention - the person that was dealing with me even checked somebody in whilst I was being served. When I finally had the persons full attention he said that he couldn't get hold of anyone and to come back at 3. After an hour I went down to the reception and was told that only one masseuse was available ( even though my companion and I had requested the massages take place for both of us in the same room) we went ahead but had to have our massages one after another instead of together.

After the third night we realised that the air con was not working correctly - we went down to reception and told them. A member of the reception staff came up to the room and checked..he told us that air cons and room keys were always a problem in Portuguese hotels ( a bit of an excuse we thought) . We knew this was likely but surely if someone is telling u the air con is not working you would try to get it fixed rather then give an excuses?

The following day we tried to book a tour with the hotel. When I went to reception I asked whether it would be possible to know more about the tour we were going on.. The person dealing with me was clueless.. He told me to look at the leaflet that I had read already and then served another person in the queue behind me! He then started to phone the tour company without me saying he could do so to book the tour. At this point I had given up and left the reception. I went to a tour company down the road and they were a lot more friendly, helpful and cheaper!

Overall this hotel was really good apart from the reception staff. Housekeeping and the restaurant staff were outstanding!!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Vanita H
Reviewed 15 June 2014

First time at the hotel. Stunning contemporary appearance. I'll start with the positives, but please read on ...

On the plus side then; the receptionists were superb; very knowledgeable, with some excellent recommendations. Bar/waiting staff were friendly and efficient. The rooms were, aside from the points mentioned later, very well appointed. Air-con was efficient and most welcome. Room safe was large and infinitely changeable. Wi-fi reasonably priced. Pool area beautifully maintained. Not a massive pool, but not a massive hotel. Plenty of options available in our inclusive breakfast. The hotel's "Serenata" restaurant deserves special mention (would rate it as excellent, if it were listed in its own right), for dinner options. We only ate there once (after a long day, and didn't fancy venturing out), but couldn't fault the food in any way (not much atmosphere though, to be truthful). Try it if you go.

Storage space (drawers in particular), was nowhere near adequate. We ended up leaving one suitcase full to pick from; and the backs of chairs came into play. Couldn't get sink plug mechanism to function - bit of a pain when it came to wet shaving (didn't appear broken). We paid extra for a sea view. TV a bit limited, for that pre-evening chill-out period. Being on the lowest floor of the sea-facing rooms (albeit with the bigger balcony), the sea was, technically, in view, but only just. Also; the view to the pool area was blighted by the ugly roof over the terrace below. Mains sockets were few, and pretty inaccessible. The dressing gowns, whilst a nice touch, were for very small people, with very short arms. Roof terrace had stunning views, but the evenings-only bar didn't open, as promised; the night we were there - shame.

On the whole; we'd definitely go back though :)

Room Tip: Get a pool/sea view room. Worth the extra. The rooms on the road have pokey little balconies, with a...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Paul1960_4
Reviewed 15 June 2014

We arrived at the hotel and were checked in by Ludo, he was a very friendly and informative receptionist. The hotel was clean and the breakfast was great. The pool area was quiet but at this time of year the water was ice cold so only a few brave people managed to get in! There's a bar you can order food/drinks from.

The beach is about 10 minute walk and there's lots of steps down to it. There's a nice café down there though.

The room was lovely but when we fancied a lie in you could hear a lot of banging and other guests walking past.

On the whole, I would stay here again!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 June 2014

I booked the hotel as a surprise for my wife to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary and I'm so pleased that I did. It was everything that I wanted our short break to be. The hotel is very modern and the staff were friendly and helpful from checking in to checking ourt. We stayed in one of the delux rooms which was very clean, comfortable with a huge double bed and a fantastic sea view. The hotel is in a great location, it's in a quiet area but is only a short walk from the strip where we had some lively nights out. The fabulous beach where we spent most of our days is a 5 minute walk away and is fairly secluded and very relaxing. The beach cafe serves good food at very reasonable prices. We had a fantastic break, the first we have had abroad without the children for 17 years, and we will defiantly return to the Aqua Pedro Dos Bicos in the future.

Room Tip: If you are looking for a relaxing romantic break with a good nightlife close by then this is the ide...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Steven G
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Just spent a week at the Aqua Pedra dos Bicos hotel with my cousin. When we arrived we were welcomed with a smile and a very helpful young man said as we were early our room would not be ready until 2pm. so recomended we had lunch and enjoy sitting round the pool, also as we were two ladies the request for a twin room had not been received and we had been given a double bedded room , but they said not a problem all would be sorted for us.
Our room was on the second floor with a side sea view and was very well decorated and had a teamaker that was very welcome, the bathroom was lovely, the only sugestion would be a handle or something to support you as you got out of the bath or shower could easily have a slip, so extra care needed. Lots of wardrobe space with plenty of hangers, fully stocked fridge with room to put in your own water or milk, Only CNN and Sky news available with no English channels on the TV, but we don't come away to watch TV. Nice to have a full lenghth mirror. Beds were quite nice if a bit hard for me.
We had Dinner Bed and Breakfast the breakfast was good, dinner was ok lots of salad and choice of a fish dish and a meat dish and pasta dish, only complaint was always chips no potatoes or gravy. but there was always something to fill up on. lots of fresh fruit and the sweets were lovely even though there is no ice cream.
Nothing in the way of entertainment in the hotel only a piano in the lovely sitting area but all the entertainment is on the doorstep.
We loved the decor of the hotel very impressive, all the staff were lovely and very helpfull. I have promised to take my husband to stay in this fine hotel as soon as possible. well done Aqua Pedra dos Bicos and thank you for a lovely stay.

Room Tip: All good. higher sea facing rooms have a wonderful view.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends