“Outstanding”

Aqua Pedra dos Bicos Design Beach Hotel
Ranked #9 of 154 Hotels in Albufeira
Reviewed 29 June 2014

My and my partner stayed here for 4 nights and it is truly magnificent. We arrived early hours to be greeted by a cheerful gentleman who gave us a warm welcoming. We had paid extra to have a sea and pool view room and it didn't disappoint. The bed was huge, lovely and clean and the balcony had the most beautiful views when we woke up the next day. You can see all along the coast. The pool was very clean as was all of the hotel. I was a bit shocked to find the pool was salt water but got used to this very quickly. Their is quite a few hen and stag parties but they didn't make more noise than the average person. The walk to the beach is about 1/2 mile down some wooden steps but it's lovely down their and the main nightlife is only about the same distance. I had booked this hotel for my partners birthday but had a little surprise for her as we got engaged. I had liaised with the hotel prior to coming and they where very helpful so thank you to them for that. The only issue we had was that the shower wasn't hot it was luke warm. The breakfast was nice, we didn't eat in the hotel other than this but their is a lot of places to eat out. All in all very good and I will be returning at some point in the near future.

• Stayed: June 2014
5  Thank Ruby_ooo
There are newer reviews for Aqua Pedra dos Bicos Design Beach Hotel

Reviewed 28 June 2014

We have just returned from this hotel it is very modern and contemporary superior rooms a must lovely views and very clean and comfortable pool area is nice lovely clean toilets and showers but food badly let's it down we stayed half board breakfast ok evening meal ok if you like cold food not much selection on meat and vegetables ok if you like salads, Staff are all very pleasant especially Fabio and Jose who were mainly working the lunch times and reception staff are very helpfull also cleaners do a fine job, I don't think we will return as we are a middle aged couple who wants a bit of peace but you cannot get it here as too many hen and stag parties nothing against people enjoying themselves but was a bit too noisy for us. I did find the walk to the beach very hard too many steps and then you have to climb up Cardiac hill fine for the young and fit but all in all we did enjoy our stay but would have stayed Bed and Breakfast not half board too many nice places to eat in the old town.

Room Tip: Superior rooms with a sea view 3rd or 4th Floor do visit the roof terrace
2  Thank Joan M
Reviewed 26 June 2014

Had another great holiday - 2nd one this year and 5th stay in 4 years - the hotel just gets better? Staff are all brilliant and more than willing to help you with anything you need, rooms are great - the deluxe rooms are well worth the extra. Great position with plenty of bars and restaurants but only a €5 ride into the old town - easy stroll if the weather isn't hot. Book you won't regret it.

Room Tip: Deluxe room, the higher the better
2  Thank 3_Pennyp
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Just returned from a week at this hotel. Lovely hotel and excellent staff. Breakfast fine but avoid eveningmeal. For a four star hotel the food leaves a lot to be desired. Lasted two nights and then forced to eat out.

1  Thank lorraine w
Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

My first holiday in 11 years and i stayed here. I cannot fault my stay at all. The staff and overall hotel was brilliant. The local area was perfect and I had a wonderful weeks stay here. Would gladly stay again! The food was delicious too, me and my partner had breakfast in the hotel every morning.

Flawless hotel.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jenna K
Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

Myself and my husband stayed at the hotel for a week in June overall we loved it and would return

The main points to mention -

+great location
+walk to beach was very handy
+restaurant and bar staff were outstanding !
+breakfast and dinner was delicious
+rooms were spacious and spotless
+pool area perfect
+cocktails in the bar were great.
+great value for money
+side view room was amazing
+by far the nicest hotel close to the strip

My only negative was the reception staff. Not very helpful. One day the weather wasn't great so we planned a trip to vilamoura. I went to reception to ask the man behind the desk what bus to get. He was quite rude and told me we had to get a taxi (around €8 euros ) to the main bus station in albuferia in the other direction where we would then get info and catch a bus to vilamoura. I asked if there was a bus stop closer and he said no- he was very blunt and obviously trying to rush me. He seemed angry when I asked for a map. We decided not to take the trip for this reason as he made it out to be a difficult journey to make and to get to the bus station we would be travelling back on ourselves. The following day I heard another guest talk about how they got the bus from the top of the street next a 2 min walk from the hotel. I then decided to ask at reception again without mentioning about the info I heard from another guest and the more helpful girl behind the desk told me yes you can catch a bus from right outside the hotel and kindly printed the times off for me. The fact I had been told something completely different the previous day was not acceptable . We didn't take the trip cause of the info the man at desk gave us and if I hadn't overheard another guest we would have probably not gone to visit vilamoura the following day. This let us down . Luckily one member of reception staff was kind enough to help us and give us realistic info. This incorrect info delayed out trip to vilamoura by a day

However, this was only one negative. Everything else was perfect and the waiting and bar staff could not have been more helpful. Particularly Albert and fabio they are a credit to the hotel.

I would love to return to the hotel one day soon

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank BEXHAM1
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Overall this is a modern and Trendy hotel with lots of positives and only a few negatives

+clean, spacious, modern rooms
+ great location near the beach. Strip a walk away and also close to old town
+ we went half board and found that the food was more than enough and at a high quality - food at night included fresh sea bass, sea bream, lamb chops with plenty of fresh veg and also delicious desserts

- people reserving sunbeds: looking at previous comments it seems that the hotel are aware of this but do not seem to be doing anything about this
- lack of customer service from reception staff. Upon arrival, the reception staff were quick to let us know of the additional services the hotel provide including massages and tours. The day after we arrived we tried to book massages in the morning for 3pm. The reception staff said that they would check availability from the masseuse but to take it as a yes that is it going ahead as the hotel had no bookings for that day. The hotel said to confirm the massage an hour before the massage was going to take place. At 2 we went to the reception and it seemed that it was only then that reception was phoning the masseuse. When I tried to find out what was going on I was given quick answers without having the reception staffs full attention - the person that was dealing with me even checked somebody in whilst I was being served. When I finally had the persons full attention he said that he couldn't get hold of anyone and to come back at 3. After an hour I went down to the reception and was told that only one masseuse was available ( even though my companion and I had requested the massages take place for both of us in the same room) we went ahead but had to have our massages one after another instead of together.

After the third night we realised that the air con was not working correctly - we went down to reception and told them. A member of the reception staff came up to the room and checked..he told us that air cons and room keys were always a problem in Portuguese hotels ( a bit of an excuse we thought) . We knew this was likely but surely if someone is telling u the air con is not working you would try to get it fixed rather then give an excuses?

The following day we tried to book a tour with the hotel. When I went to reception I asked whether it would be possible to know more about the tour we were going on.. The person dealing with me was clueless.. He told me to look at the leaflet that I had read already and then served another person in the queue behind me! He then started to phone the tour company without me saying he could do so to book the tour. At this point I had given up and left the reception. I went to a tour company down the road and they were a lot more friendly, helpful and cheaper!

Overall this hotel was really good apart from the reception staff. Housekeeping and the restaurant staff were outstanding!!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business