“Absolutely great holiday”

Aqua Pedra dos Bicos Design Beach Hotel
Ranked #9 of 154 Hotels in Albufeira
Reviewed 24 July 2014

My wife and i stayed here in July for 10 nights. The hotel is superb, rooms immaculate, and linen and towels changed every day. Excellent choices for breakfast. Never had dinner in hotel as there are plenty of places to eat (which we prefer). Pool area is nice and quiet due to it being adults only. The staff were very friendly and helpful. Will be returning next and will be upgrading to room with a pool view.
I cannot understand how people complain about the breakfast or staff amazes me.

Room Tip: If possible book a pool view for great views
3  Thank Ian B

Reviewed 23 July 2014

This is a relatively new, small , adult only hotel in a good location for bars, restaurants and the beach. We went on a golfing holiday in a party of 12, couples, singles etc. the rooms were immaculate, beautiful bed linens, towels etc and a well stocked fridge. We were on,y in B&B because of our golf times and wanting to experience various cuisines. Breakfast was very good with the usual choice of fruits, cereal, cooked breakfasts etc. everywhere is very clean. The staff are friendly, courteous, and very helpful at all times. I was running late and the young man in reception offered to post a birthday card to a room on the 4th floor for me so I would not be late. The pool area is peaceful and relaxing, probably as there were no children. ( we love our own grandchildren but do like not having everyone else's when on holiday) . All in all a lovely holiday in a lovely hotel.

Room Tip: You pay more for a sea view on the front, we had a side sea view which had a small balcony
4  Thank Shand37
Reviewed 21 July 2014

I stayed at the hotel last June 2013 and am looking to go back in September this year 2014. The hotel rooms are lovely and clean, beds are big and comfortable. Breakfast in the morning was lovely and had a good choice. The only downfall was you struggled to find a sun lounger around the pool. How anyone can say this hotel is horrible is beyond me. I would def recommend this hotel to family and friends.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Sam C
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Lets keep it simple. You wont have to read another review.
Good points far outweigh the negatives.
Hotel really clean, top marks to the cleaning staff.
Rooms good size, beds really comfy and big.
All staff, dining room and reception were very pleasant and polite, not over intrusive.
How anyone can complain about the breakfast is beyond me, everything you could want and more.
The pool area is very nice.
Location is perfect.
It is also a quiet peaceful hotel for the main. (read the end bit)
Now the negatives, there are quite a few when I list them but most are very minor and made very little impact on the quality of the holiday. Easily sorted (pay attention management)
Pool, it was Baltic, get it heated up a degree or 5.
Sunbeds, need a lot of new ones, to many broken.
Dinner, Decent but not 4 star, I appreciate having to cater for different tastes and Nationalities but make sure it's hot. (Cook less at the one time, I would much rather wait 5 minutes for hot food)
Food and drink a bit pricey. Knock down the price and more people would eat and drink at the hotel.
Shower, was a bit cold, heard someone complain, next day put it to the setting I had been using, It burnt the backside off me. At least they sorted it.
On the whole no real complaints about the hotel that couldn't be fixed.
First 4 days were bliss, lying by the pool the lapping of the water was the only thing we could hear. I'm thinking, I did well here great choice of hotel plenty brownie point from the wife.
hen it happened, An influx of large parties for the weekend. Golfers, wedding parties, oh my! peace shattered.
Now I appreciate that people on holiday can be a bit excitable and noisier than normal but PEOPLE, have some respect for other guests especially at the dinner table.
Just beware, the hotel is promoted as a relaxing couples hotel (main reason we picked) but I guess we just got unlucky for that week.
If I had to go to Albuferia again, then I would stay at this Hotel.

Room Tip: Higher the better
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
11  Thank Thefoxhat
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed a week from July 1st. We found the hotel to be a little far from the old town and took a taxi most days to the old town beach, as the beach by the hotel was down a lot of steps and steep hill which was not easy for my elderly mother. Taxi to the old town cost 5euro each way. Rooms were lovely very clean and modern. Food not a huge choice but good quality restaurant we found to be stress free no queing and staff very polite and helpful.. Would i return. Yes had a very relaxing holiday.

• Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank Tjhworc
Reviewed 13 July 2014

We have just returned from ten nights at the Aqua Pedra Dos Bicos hotel.

Rooms - We opted for a side sea view room and found the room to be very clean and very modern , the only downside to this room was the size of the balcony , it was the smallest balcony we've ever had in the last 23 years of travelling abroad , that said , it wasn't a massive problem as we very rarely stay in the room and so the balcony isn't a focal point to us , but it may be to others who do use their balconies. If you are a balcony user , opt for a deluxe room as these had great views and good sized balconies

Food - Breakfast at the hotel was good and had lots of choice , as did the pool bar menu. Drinks were slightly pricey and there is a sign saying you couldn't bring your own drinks or food in from outside of the hotel , although we did see people doing this .

Pool area - Plenty of sunbeds that seemed to be available at all times of the day and a very helpful pool team who would happily move beds and parasols if needed.

Hotel staff - The reception team were the friendliest team I've come across in a long time , nothing was too much trouble and they were always welcoming and were very knowledgeable of the area

Nightlife - The Strip is about a five/ten minute walk away and is great for choice of restaurants , it does however get very busy over the weekend with lots of stag and hen parties . Restaurant Doris is worth a visit , Steak on the Stone was beautiful . We visited the old town too and this was lovely , we ate in a restaurant called Flavours , that had been recommended to us by reception staff and I must say it was a great recommendation.

All in all we had a great time and would definitely go back to this hotel .

Room Tip: Standard rooms are at the front of the hotel with a view of the street , Superior are at the side of...
1  Thank jen37
Reviewed 11 July 2014

For me it is really difficult to rank this hotel.

(6 nights in June. I wrote a lot of text, so at the end the shorter version;) )

The design of the hotel and the rooms is very nice.
What I liked a lot is the fact that the hotel and the rooms are extremely clean. The cleaning ladies are fast and paying attention to the details. They are also very friendly.

I also appreciate very good service at the reception.

In the room you have everything what you need. The hair conditioner is very good:). The tea and coffee maker are in the room.

BUT there is one thing that makes me feel like never coming back to this hotel - it is a noise.
This is not a fault of the personnel, but the architect who designed this hotel. The rooms are built on kind of circle, so in the middle you have a huge space which starts at the first floor (with a bar) and ends at the last floor. Starting on the evening till around 24.00 hrs. - they play the music from the CD, twice also they had a pianist and the Portuguese singer. All this would be great, if they would separate this part; they could build a glass roof to avoid echo. We were truly “pissed off” when we tried to sleep after a long trip. It was not possible till 24.00 hrs. Also not everybody wants to listen music (especially if every day they play the same CD). It should be a free choice. I wanted to go to the bed earlier, especially that we were traveleling during the day to the other places in the coast, so we were tired, but the only solution were ear-plugs. And after not being able to go to the bed ealier, on the morning we felt that we have to hurry up with eating our breakfest, becouse they were taking the food around 10.20 (breakfest till 10.30). Not realxing at all (at least for us). The plus - fresh fruits.

For me it was not very important, but the internet connection was tragic. Very, very slow. You have free WiFi for 12 hours, if you forget log out and you leave the phone in the room you have no connection after you are back. You can also buy a faster connection which is not faster at all. We couldn’t watch a movie, and even checking e-mail was not easy. So if you need to work in the hotel from time to time, forget it.

I also think that this hotel is only adult-hotel. Might be useful for some of you, you should check it.

We preferred much more other cities on the cost and if we would go to Portugal again we would not choose Albufeira for sure. This hotel and the area (which is a village in fact) is good but maybe for very young people who did not get tired while working all year long, so I would not recommend this hotel to anyone who likes peace and quiet hotels. If you do not mind noise then it is perfect.

In short words:
1. Clean
2. Friendly and helpful stuff
3. Nice pools (small and big one)
4. Nice rooms
5. Close to the beach (5 minutes walking)
6. Very nice ocean view
7. Car rental companies around (I recommend the one just across the street; they are honest; I did not like the company that the hotel recommends – they hide the final price, I started to ask, and then we realized that the price is not lower at all than in the other place; you have to add extra insurance, medical, assistance, tax, etc. In other company we had all included, plus GPS for 5 EUR per day).
8. Italian Restaurant close by (you can take a car or taxi – worth to try) - Il Vesuvio

1. Noise/really loud - till at least 24.00 hrs. – Inside (music) and outside (when drunk tourists sitting in front of the poolm, but then at least you can close the balcony; you cannot avoid the music from CD).
2. Slow Internet connection.
3. Far away from a “real” city. We preferred Lagos much more. You do not need a car there and have all in one – night life, pubs, more restaurants, nice small streets, beach, ocean, etc.
4. Dinner – we tried once (and once the room service) – the menu is very poor. Nothing special to choose. For room service I took Cesar salad which was… a green salad with bread and one small tomato (no chicken), very disappointing.

Conclusion : if you do not mind the noise the hotel is ok.

Room Tip: I recommend the room with the sea view. The view is like on the pictures which you can find on the h...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple