“Enjoyable Visit 18/6/16”

Chesterfield, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Enjoyable Visit 18/6/16”
Reviewed 26 June 2014

Had a nice meal there late afternoon. Bowl of bread, olives, 2 x soups. 2 x small fillet steaks (with egg, chips and rice) plus 2 x small beers. 31 euros. Will be visiting again in Jan 15...

1 Thank Dave W

• Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Blackburn, United Kingdom
“Great restaurant”
Reviewed 26 June 2014

WHat a great restaurant, food really good and reasonably priced the waiter was excellent would go again

1 Thank christiner R
London, United Kingdom
“Good quality home cooked food at ridiculously low prices too.”
Reviewed 25 June 2014

We'd done our usual research before venturing into the old town and looked at 3 restaurants before this one. First was too pompous, the other two already fully booked. This, I therefore admit, was not first choice, however, we thoroughly enjoyed our meals.
Complaint- we got given bread, olives and dips before we'd ordered anything, and we had already decided on what we did want!! We sent them back!! Desserts, out of three, two were gone!! Sack the quartermaster!
Rant over, the food was of good quality and plentiful. My girlfriend left a considerable amount of her main course, only due to volume issues. (Although Piri Piri sauce in my book is not chillies in chilli oil but something altogether different, maybe I'm wrong?!!)
My thoughts on this establishment are they are hard working, excellent chefs with waiter staff who try extremely hard to keep their customers happy, but maybe they should broaden their horizons a little and look for even more ways to provide authentic Portuguese food to predominantly English tourists!! ( however, one good thing, there were plenty of locals there too, which is always a great sign.)
Massive meal, sangria and alcoholic coffee, only Euros46!! An absolute bargain in anyone's language.

Rainy England
“Recommended by a local”
Reviewed 24 June 2014 via mobile

My husband and I visited O Manjar at the beginning of April this year following a recommendation by the owner of the small bar on the front called Bizarro. She told us it was the only place she liked to eat in Albufeira and their rib eye steak came highly recommended.

It turned out that we had walked past the restaurant every time we had walked down into the Old Town. When she mentioned it was across from the Cavern Club, we knew exactly where it was.

As it was early season we had no problem getting a table.

We were served couvert (olives, bread, cheese and pâté) to start. I asked for the sardines at first, but the waiter said they weren't in season yet and recommended the rib eye steak, so I settled for that. My husband ordered the piri piri chicken for his main course.

The kitchen is open and clean, and you can see the chef preparing your meal. When the rib eye came, it was HUGE, and was served with chips and side salad. My husband's piri piri chicken was off the bone and there was an ample portion of that too.

We were offered desserts but although they looked very tempting, we declined due to the quantity of food we'd eaten. The waiter was not pushy and came back to us with two glasses of port on the house, which was a nice touch.

The meal itself was reasonably priced I thought, for what we had.

When we visited, the weather wasn't good and it was cold and wet outside, so we were glad to be seated indoors. O Manjar doesn't have any outdoor seating and that's my only concern. I'm not sure if I'd want to dine indoors during the high season. That's just my opinion though.

3 Thank tharweb
“Great restaurant!”
Reviewed 23 June 2014 via mobile

What an amazing little place. It's a bit tucked away so you'd need to know about it to nip in.
The service was very attentive, we couldn't catch up to finish our glasses at any point.
I had the grilled bass which was so very tender and fragrant and my husband had the mixed skewered kebab which he liked a lot (it also had chorizo so even more of a hit!)
For dessert we had the cherry tart, fresh! It was also all very big.
The portions were generous and we'd recommend it to anyone, especially seen that you can easily go wrong in the main street eateries.