“A welcome break in the sun”

Vila Gale Cerro Alagoa
Ranked #27 of 163 Hotels in Albufeira
Ireland
“A welcome break in the sun”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2013

I have just returned from a weeks break to this hotel. If you decide to book this hotel make sure you book a pool view room, the rooms at the other side are on a very busy road and I thought the moterbikes were in the room with me. I paid extra & room moved on the third night, I was lucky that the hotel was not full. I stayed half board & because I arrived at 11pm, I had emailed to hotel to ask about a light snack on arrival. They were very good & as soon as I had checked in they send a salad, some fruit, bread & water to me. The room was very clean and I paid 15 euro for the safe for the week. There is no kettle in the room but I always bring my travel kettle. I like a cup of peppermint tea before bed.There is a fridge which the hotel will fill for you or there are 2 supermarkets near the hotel. Out of hotel turn left & left again (small one which I liked) turn right out of hotel there is a huge one. As previous reviews have mentioned beautiful pastry shop when you turn right out of hotel.
The food in the hotel is great, something for everyone. On my first day it rained a little & as I had left Ireland to get away from it I was worried it was going to be a wet week. I need not have worried the weather for the rest of the week was fantastic. The day it rained I went to plan B & had an amazing facial & massage in the spa. The hotel does offers every week so keep your eyes peeled for that one.The are loads of beds & umbrellas ( however the Germans are still territorial so watch out.) And there are even lots away from the pool if you want quieter area, however & this is no reflection on the hotel. I got very sick and had to go to the hospidal with breathing difficulties early one morning.The hotel got a taxi for me. My throat was raw, my voice went and my eyes were swolen & closed due to the infection. BIG TIP Make sure you have your E111 card or you will pay. I had forgotton mine. The Dr at hospidal thought it was an allergy I picked up from the trees & shrubs at the hotel & I had been sitting near the same greenery every day. The hospidal only gave me painkillers which numbed the pain in my throat but was not assisting with the healing. I became great friends with the pharmacy across the road ( if you have to go there they operate a ticket system so pull a ticket just inside the door) I tried cough bottles & everything but nothing worked, I have been on antibiotics since I came back. I did not allow this to ruin my holiday but I just want to say sit in another area away from trees at the hotel.( Sorry about this part of the review but I would not like the same thing to happen to antone elce)
The bar in the hotel was were I had most of my conversations, I was travelling solo. Ezequiel & Mario were great & we had good old natters over a Baileys coffee which Tanya made so well. The entertainment at the hotel was dreadful, Parrots & Snakes. They had karoke one night but it was a bit of a flop.
Manuela is an excellent hairdresser and you can book her through reception.
Sergio ( chef ) was always smiling and friendly & very helpful. A few other members of staff who I met & deserve a mention were Pedro Feliz, Emamuel & Paulo. This was my first trip to Portugal & I have to say at first I did not find the staff very friendly but as week went on it seemed to improve.
A few other tips I did Historic Algarve Tour, its a long day.And my experience was you do not get to see enough of the places you visit, its like a whistle stop tour. I really wanted to visit Lagos but all I got there was 30 mins, not enough time to explore. The tour highlight for me was Cape St Vincent, which was like our Cliffs of Moher. I did not even get time to enjoy possibily the best coffee I had on my trip. Lovely coffee dock at Cape St Vincent. If I was to go again I think I would find a way to get to Lagos without the tour bus. I did the hop on off city tour bus & would not recommend it, waste of money & I was sitting at bus stops waiting for it for an eternity. The little blue & yellow train goes from outside the hotel and it will take you to the new town ( Strip ) and the Old Town. You can walk from the hotel to the Old Town, just turn left & its a short walk, however the pavements are narrow and uneven so be careful. A taxi from the Old town to the hotel will cost less the 5 euros. In the Oldtown there is a taxi rank.
The beach is amazing & there are lots of eating places where you can sit & watch the world go by. A coffee for 1.40, peri peri chicken ( traditional hot sauce) with chips & salad, a beer & water for 10.50 with an amazing view!!
I was ill for most of my trip but I still enjoyed my holiday. To the Managment at the hotel I would say sort out better entertainment & well done on excellent & professional & happy staff.

Room Tip: Dont hesitate if you are a light sleeper book a pool view room, its a pain having to move all your s...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
8 Thank bubbles66Ireland
VilaGaleHoteis, General Manager at Vila Gale Cerro Alagoa, responded to this review, 25 June 2013
Dear Guest

First of all we really hope that you are feeling better and have recuperated from the allergy !
Thank you for your lovely comments and these will be passed on to the staff mentioned as it is of great motivation to us to read our guests satisfaction at the end of their holiday.
Thank you for choosing the Cerro Alagoa and hope to welcom you back

Kind regards

Rosario Ribeiro

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (430)
  • Polish first
Manchester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2013

Everything about this hotel is first class. In my opinion it deserves a 5 star rating instead of 4. From the moment you enter the reception area you are made to feel totally at ease by the pleasant and courteous staff. This includes waiters, waitresses, barmen, cleaners. Nothing and nobody to fault. The rooms are extremely clean and spacious with everything you could possibly need for a comfortable holiday. The all inclusive option is well worth it. There is food to cater for every single taste. The salads, fresh fruit and desserts are wonderful. All food is always fresh. The swimming pool is huge and there are always plenty of sunbeds and tables and chairs to relax on. There is also an indoor pool and spa, together with games room, hairdressers and shop. I have nothing but good things to say about this hotel and no doubt will be returning for a 4th visit in the future.

Room Tip: Pool/sea view room
5 Thank Mellonie
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2013

We originally booked to stay at a 3 star hotel in Albufeira but after it got wiped out by Norovirus we changed our booking to this hotel. How glad were we! This hotel is really lovely. Our stay was all inclusive. The food was gorgeous - a diverse range to suit different cultures and plenty of choice. I ate 3 x 3 course meals every day!! If you fancy a lighter lunch, you can get snacks at the bar. A range of drinks were available to suit most tastes. The hotel is clean and the staff and the service they provide was superb. The gym and health suite facilities looked great, although we never got to use them! There's loads of sunbeds and the pool was gorgeous. It's in a great location too, close to the old town and the new town....everything within walking distance. I'd definitely go back again...a very enjoyable stay. Highly recommended!

Room Tip: Not sure that the sea view would warrant 16 euros a night
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
7 Thank littlesparkle
Oldham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2013

just arrived back from the cerra alagoa lovely hotel staff are great food very good at breakfast and dinner not so good at lunch but you can always have a very nice sandwich all inc drinks a bit rough but drinkable everything very clean no problem getting a sunbed at any time of day we had room305 on side of hotel very comfortable largest balcony ever had 3sunbeds on one part and still room to hold a dance room kept very clean small niggles we went all inc but had to pay for safety dep box 35euros also only allowed water by the glass if you want a bottle fof room you have to pay for it we bought ours from supermarket no brewing facilities in room we took our own no sign of mosquitoes lovely cake shop next door hotel very handy for every thing we originally booked to go to the auramar hotel but changed because of all the bad reviews it cost us an extra several hundred pounds but it was money well spent i did get a bout of food poisining but i think it was sardines i had in the town because my wife was ok and that was the only thing i had differant to her all in all it was a lovely place and will go back kingsley and pat mills

Room Tip: room305 very quiet large balcony
4 Thank kingsley62
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2013 via mobile

This is our fourth stay at the Vila Gale Cerro Alagoa and sadly will probably be our last. First, the positives - great location, good variety at breakfast, lovely pool (albeit very cold) good facilities such as the gym, jacuzzi, steam room and indoor pool. The negatives - the rooms are dated and the hotel could do with a lick of paint both internally and externally. We stayed in the 2 bedroom Senior Suite and were impressed by the space we got but not by the Suite. The rooms are tired and would benefit from updating to make better use of the incredible space. Also, the base of our beds were grubby and exposed and just didn't look very nice. The balcony is large but because of the way the balcony above is positioned it didn't catch the sun.

In the bathrooms, every time we took a shower, we spent the next 10 minuites mopping up because the water ran down the side of the bath onto the floor!

The staff at the hotel were friendly enough but the same cannot be said for their Central Reservations team with whom we made the booking through. For some reason (which they couldn't explain) they debited us with the full cost of EUR1358.00
5 weeks before our stay, instead of the 10% they should have taken. It then took them a month and only after several phone calls at my expense to get it reimbursed.

For a four star hotel, I would expect extras such as tea/coffee making facilities, free access to the room safe and in room WIFI at no extra cost.

That said, we still love Albufeira and the old town is just fantastic and will probably return next year, but maybe not to this hotel.

Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Petty22
Dear Guest

Thank you for sharing your comments on your stay and do regret you were disappointed on this visit to our hotel.
We have in fact painted and renovated the entrance of the hotel as you may have noticed from the last visit. The reception area in now much brighter with a new entrance.
We will be painting the hotel exterior this winter so this has been taken into consideration. Your comments on the room are welcome and will be dealt with ( room 338 ).
We do apologise for the charge with the Central Reservation system as this is a new automatic system which is being improved.
We hope you may reconsider chosing our hotel again in the future

Kind regards

Rosário Ribeiro
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2013

we have just come back from a 2 weeks stay B&B in may. This hotel was fantastic would recommend anyone to stay here. everything down to the room being clean and the breakfast in the morning was fantastic. all the staff were very friendly and couldn't do enough for you. location was great for both old and new town you could get around by using taxi,bus and the little blue train which you could get right outside the hotel.
the only 2 faults we had which are minor faults was that the pool was FREEZING!! and really would of liked tea and coffee facilities in the room other than this what a great place to stay and hopefully will be back in September.

Room Tip: pool facing rooms are quiet and are a lovely view
5 Thank neil w
Norwich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2013

We have returned today from a weeks all inclusive at this hotel and cannot recommend it highly enough. We arrived well before the 2pm check in due to the 6am flight from Gatwick but our room was ready for us and was exactly as we had requested, pool view, sea view etc. The room was spotless as was the rest of the hotel and was cleaned and fresh towels supplied daily, the sheets were changed 3 times during our stay too. The food was always excellent and very well presented and the staff were always polite and helpful. The evening entertainment was not very inspiring but we didn't mind as we just enjoyed sitting and watching the world go by. Overall we were really pleased with our choice and are planning on going back as soon as possible.

Room Tip: Ask for a pool/sea view as the rooms on the other side look out over a busy road.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple