I have just returned from a weeks break to this hotel. If you decide to book this hotel make sure you book a pool view room, the rooms at the other side are on a very busy road and I thought the moterbikes were in the room with me. I paid extra & room moved on the third night, I was lucky that the hotel was not full. I stayed half board & because I arrived at 11pm, I had emailed to hotel to ask about a light snack on arrival. They were very good & as soon as I had checked in they send a salad, some fruit, bread & water to me. The room was very clean and I paid 15 euro for the safe for the week. There is no kettle in the room but I always bring my travel kettle. I like a cup of peppermint tea before bed.There is a fridge which the hotel will fill for you or there are 2 supermarkets near the hotel. Out of hotel turn left & left again (small one which I liked) turn right out of hotel there is a huge one. As previous reviews have mentioned beautiful pastry shop when you turn right out of hotel.
The food in the hotel is great, something for everyone. On my first day it rained a little & as I had left Ireland to get away from it I was worried it was going to be a wet week. I need not have worried the weather for the rest of the week was fantastic. The day it rained I went to plan B & had an amazing facial & massage in the spa. The hotel does offers every week so keep your eyes peeled for that one.The are loads of beds & umbrellas ( however the Germans are still territorial so watch out.) And there are even lots away from the pool if you want quieter area, however & this is no reflection on the hotel. I got very sick and had to go to the hospidal with breathing difficulties early one morning.The hotel got a taxi for me. My throat was raw, my voice went and my eyes were swolen & closed due to the infection. BIG TIP Make sure you have your E111 card or you will pay. I had forgotton mine. The Dr at hospidal thought it was an allergy I picked up from the trees & shrubs at the hotel & I had been sitting near the same greenery every day. The hospidal only gave me painkillers which numbed the pain in my throat but was not assisting with the healing. I became great friends with the pharmacy across the road ( if you have to go there they operate a ticket system so pull a ticket just inside the door) I tried cough bottles & everything but nothing worked, I have been on antibiotics since I came back. I did not allow this to ruin my holiday but I just want to say sit in another area away from trees at the hotel.( Sorry about this part of the review but I would not like the same thing to happen to antone elce)
The bar in the hotel was were I had most of my conversations, I was travelling solo. Ezequiel & Mario were great & we had good old natters over a Baileys coffee which Tanya made so well. The entertainment at the hotel was dreadful, Parrots & Snakes. They had karoke one night but it was a bit of a flop.
Manuela is an excellent hairdresser and you can book her through reception.
Sergio ( chef ) was always smiling and friendly & very helpful. A few other members of staff who I met & deserve a mention were Pedro Feliz, Emamuel & Paulo. This was my first trip to Portugal & I have to say at first I did not find the staff very friendly but as week went on it seemed to improve.
A few other tips I did Historic Algarve Tour, its a long day.And my experience was you do not get to see enough of the places you visit, its like a whistle stop tour. I really wanted to visit Lagos but all I got there was 30 mins, not enough time to explore. The tour highlight for me was Cape St Vincent, which was like our Cliffs of Moher. I did not even get time to enjoy possibily the best coffee I had on my trip. Lovely coffee dock at Cape St Vincent. If I was to go again I think I would find a way to get to Lagos without the tour bus. I did the hop on off city tour bus & would not recommend it, waste of money & I was sitting at bus stops waiting for it for an eternity. The little blue & yellow train goes from outside the hotel and it will take you to the new town ( Strip ) and the Old Town. You can walk from the hotel to the Old Town, just turn left & its a short walk, however the pavements are narrow and uneven so be careful. A taxi from the Old town to the hotel will cost less the 5 euros. In the Oldtown there is a taxi rank.
The beach is amazing & there are lots of eating places where you can sit & watch the world go by. A coffee for 1.40, peri peri chicken ( traditional hot sauce) with chips & salad, a beer & water for 10.50 with an amazing view!!
I was ill for most of my trip but I still enjoyed my holiday. To the Managment at the hotel I would say sort out better entertainment & well done on excellent & professional & happy staff.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This modern luxury hotel is ideally situated in the tourist centre of Albufeira, just one road from the Fishermen (Pescadores) beach. The lively town centre, which offers a huge variety of shop, restaurants, bars and entertainment venues, are within 500 m of the hotel. Faro airport is the nearest and is approximately 35 km away. Built in 1990, this hotel was completely renovated in 2004. There is a total of 310 rooms spread over 7 floors including 73 rooms with view and 24 junior suites suitable for families. Guests are offered a stylish lobby with lifts and a 24-hour reception desk with a safe. It also has a TV and games room, a newspaper stand, a bar and an English pub, a restaurant with a non-smoking area and highchairs for small children. Business guests may book 2 meeting rooms with Wi-Fi internet connection and media devices. Additional services include a laundry service, garage as well as medical assistance. In addition, a car park as well as children's club and playground are on offer to hotel guests. The modern, stylishly furnished rooms come equipped with air conditioning, electronic safety door look, direct telephone, LCD TV with Cable and Pay TV, Wi-Fi Connection and safe (for and additional cost), Minibar and 24 hour room service, private bathroom with telephone and hair dryer. In the outdoor complex, there is a pool with a children's pool, a pool bar as well as a sun terrace with sun loungers and parasols. In addition, the hotel features a Health Club with indoor heated pool, a gym, sauna, steam room and Jacuzzi. Guest may also take advantage of massages and beauty treatments. All meals may be chosen from a wide buffet. At lunch and dinner guests may choose their meals a la carte. It is possible to book a half-board stay. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, TravelUp, Odigeo, Travel Republic (UK), TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Vila Gale Cerro Alagoa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Vila Gale Cerro Alagoa Hotel Albufeira
- Vila Gale Cerro Alagoa Albufeira, Algarve, Portugal