“A few changes could make this hotel much better”

Vila Gale Cerro Alagoa
Ranked #26 of 154 Hotels in Albufeira
Reviewed 28 July 2014

We stayed for 11 nights on a B/B basis. The hotel is clean and reception were polite and quick when booking in. The room is a nice size with good size beds. Our room overlooked the busy road so try to get a pool facing room if possible. Rooms are cleaned everyday to a good standard.
You are given a piece of paper on arrival informing guests not to reserve sun beds and that is as far as they go with enforcing that rule! On the first morning we came down around 8 to find most beds reserved with towels and only about 2 people on them! Im afraid if you want a bed you have to do the same as everyone else and get up early and lay claim with your towels. I was out most mornings at 7.30 and apart from the towels their was nobody else there, which was nice and relaxing. I found it fascinating to see people coming down still in their pyjamas putting towels out then watching them turn up as late as 2.00!
The breakfast was very good with a good selection of hot food (bacon, sausage, egg, mushroom beans etc`) as well as cereals, pastries, fruit, cold meats and cheese as well as hot and cold drinks.
The entertainment at the hotel was awful at night and there was none in the day, unless you count the dressed up person walking round the pool for a couple of minutes! At night the entertainment consisted of a singer playing and singing along to an electric piano which was like butlins circa 1960s. This isnt a massive problem for us as we only had one drink here before heading off out but we may have stayed for more if the entertainment was decent. There was a man singing on one night who was good, and got the audience involved with his humour, this was the only night that when we came back the tables outside were packed (says it all really)
The drinks are expensive at the pool bar with two small cokes costing over 5 euros and water over 3 euros. Get your water at the supermarket just down the road as it is alot cheaper.
At nights we walked down to the Old town which we just loved. Lots of places to eat (try the all you can eat pork ribs, they were amazing), and drink with some really good street acts in the central part. After 11 the side streets come alive with music and party people. We stayed until the early hours a few times and really loved it.
I wouldn't go back to this hotel, although nice as we flt it lacked any atmosphere at all.

Room Tip: choose a pool facing room unless you dont mind having a busy road as your view
2  Thank springergirl
VilaGaleHoteis, General Manager at Vila Gale Cerro Alagoa, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. While I wish you had a better experience, it is feedback like this that we learn from and use to improve. Regarding the entertainment we will take in to consideration your comments which are welcome.
Thank you for choosing the Vila Galé Hotels

Rosário Ribeiro

Write a ReviewReviews (1,737)

Reviewed 28 July 2014

Did read previous reviews before booking and as always tend to think one hotel can't make everyone happy so bit the bullet and booked it. We checked in early thanks to private transfer, room not available till after 2 which was not a problem as changing facilities provided as well as storage for luggage. We were told upon check in not to reserve sunbeds, in a manor of teacher to a child by the quite fierce lady on reception. After being told off I cheekily requested a pool view room of which I was told off again as I had not paid extra for this privilege. Left scary lady to no doubt check me in to the worst room she could and went into town for a spot of lunch. Returned at one in the hope my broom cupboard was ready and to my delight scary had given me a pool room.
The rooms are very modern and as is the rest of the hotel, very clean. No kettle in room booh, no ashtray booh and a fridge that keeps everything nice and warm. Went back to scary lady to ask for an ashtray, after giving me the death stare and trying to control her temper, I was told not to smoke in the room. I whispered that I had no intention of doing this as I don't smoke in my own bedroom but please miss I want an ashtray for the balcony. After leaving empty handed I spotted the one ashtray that the hotel possess and proceeded to carry this with me the whole week. You may find this act sad , but hubby and I have never made so many friends on holiday before thanks to one little ashtray. Following morning woke very early, nipped down to breakfast to get two coffees, Sat on balcony with our little friend ashtray. Looked out onto the pool and almost every sunbed was
Reserved. I looked at hubby in horror, were we the only people terrified by scary lady. Be warned that unless you get up at stupid o clock you will not get a Sun bed. Do not reserve one with the hotel towel, ours were stolen and although it had the thread of a tea towel you will be charged as though it was made from Egyptian cotton. All of this has made for an entertaining holiday and we did have a nice break. Choice at breakfast is very good, location for us was great, the hotel itself is very clean bright and modern. They need to provide more sunbeds and send scary lady on a customer service course or enlist her in the army she'd make an excellent commander. To any smokers who will soon be visiting do take care of my little ashtray, grew quite attached to him over that week so much so that hubby had put him in the case on our last morning but I persuaded him that he would have more fun staying where he will be forever in demand.

9  Thank grumpyLeicester
Reviewed 26 July 2014

We stayed at the Vila Gale in Albufeira in July 20114.

The 4* hotel lives up to its status. It is very clean, tidy and a joy to stay there.

We have a 5 year old daughter, so the advertised 'Kids Club' was something our daughter was excited about. Unfortunately the club was none existent. There was a lovely club house, and a couple of staff that occasionally showed up. But no activities arranged for the children. Children were just left to roam around and do as they wished. Very, very disappointed.

The pool was lovely, sunbeds as seems to be the norm anywhere you go these days, are taken as early as 7am by people who place a towel on sunbeds and then turn up at around 11am, even though there is a notice saying 'no sunbeds to be taken before 9am.'

There is a snack bar by the pool for most things you wish for. Service was somewhat slow, but food was worth waiting for. We were all inclusive, so ice creams were plentiful.

Lunch can also be taken in the restaurant from 12:30 to 14:00. And a great selection of food is available.

Food in the restaurant is of a high standard, and pretty much a different variety of most items each night. Plenty of fruit and vegetables on offer, cheese board, ice creams. Although we were all inclusive, we did intend on eating out some nights, but the food was so lovely at the hotel, and different theme nights (Italian, Spanish, Mexican etc) and barbeques outside by the pool, we stayed at the hotel for our meals.

Rooms are very nice, clean and tidy. Rooms are cleaned everyday and beds made. No complaints at all there.

Trips can be arranged from the reception. We would recommend going to see the dolphins and caves trip. Great to see dolphins in their natural habitat.

We also went to the 'Zoo Marine' water park. Great day, and well worth a visit. When there, pay a visit to the 4D cinema, well worth it. Water rides are great fun. We enjoyed the lazy river and giant water slides.

OLD TOWN IS BRILLIANT. There are several different street entertainers each evening that are great fun. There is one in particular, a chap who paints his face white, like a mime artist. At first you think to yourself, 'oh, no, boring' but give it five minutes and you will be splitting your sides with laughter. He takes the micky out of passing holiday makers (Not offensive in anyway) and has children join in. He was so popular, holiday makers were queuing up outside the bars to get the best seats to watch his act. We don't normally give big tips to street entertainers, but this chap must of had 10 to 12 euros from us.

There are plenty of bars and restaurant to choose from.

A really great atmosphere and almost a nightly visit paid by us.

There is a 'land train' every 20 minutes that stops outside the next hotel, that takes you to both Old and New towns for a minimal fee. I think we paid 5 euros for two adults and one child. Worth catching land train as the walk is hilly on way back to hotel. Last train from Old town is 00:30.

There are a couple of leisurely walks to the Old town, one 25 minute walk worth taking, you turn left, then left again on exit from hotel, which once on the promenade, there are some stunning views.

There are welcomed escalators to take you from the cliffs to the town. At the end of the escalators there are activities for young and old, ranging from electric children's 4 wheel motorbikes of varying speed to Segway bikes.

We spent 10 day on our holidays and never got bored of paying the Old town a visit.

The old town suits people of all ages, young, old, family's couples etc.

NEW TOWN (STRIP AS IS SOMETIMES CALLED) IS OK FOR YOUNG. We went through on a land train, so would be unfair to give a proper report on it. But from first impressions, I would say more for the twenty something.

Would we go back? Yes, most definitely. We had a wonderful time! 8/10.

Room Tip: One overlooking the pool. We stayed in room 104 at the end of the hotel, but still had a good view o...
3  Thank Lets_Fly_Away_Again
VilaGaleHoteis, General Manager at Vila Gale Cerro Alagoa, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your review on our hotel and Albufeira as it will be very helpful for other guests visiting us.
We are really pleased to find you have enjoyed your stay at the Cerro Alagoa and we hope to welcome you again in one of our Vila Galé Hotels on a future holiday.

Reviewed 23 July 2014

Excellent all round. Could not say a bad word about the whole set up here, just an EXCELLENT hotel. Management and staff are second to none. Food is exceptional, rooms are exceptional, all round exceptional.

George & Helen Monks.

Room Tip: Like I said its just excellent all round.
1  Thank George M

Dear Guest

Thank you for sharing your review and are really pleased to find you have enjoyed your stay at the Cerro Alagoa.
We hope to welcome you again in one of our Vila Galé Hotels on a future holiday.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

Have just returned from an 11 night stay at this hotel, on arrival and booking in at reception, we were down as H/B when infact we were A/I this was sorted out in minutes, not the hotels fault, we had booked H/B but changed our minds and upgraded to A/I unfortunately this had not been passed onto the hotel.We were on the first floor room 172 on the corner. A lovely large room,very modern, with a comfortable bed, and exceptionally comfy pillows.The room was kept spotlessly clean every day.The food was very good, and always hot, as the chefs didn't cook vast amounts and leave it uncovered.It was always covered and this certainly made a difference.The only critisime l have with A/I is you are only allowed certain drinks, certain ice creams and if you take the water out of the fridge in your room, you have to pay for it.Which to me is not A/I but this is how it is. All the staff are good at their jobs and are very pleasant.When you arrive you are given a letter stating that you must not put towells on the sunbeds, it is a complete waste of paper and ink, as sun beds were full of towells at 8am.What they need is someone on duty so that this does not happen.The location to the old town is great a 10minute walk, but ladies do not take heels of any kind,it is small cobbled streets, which are very shiny and slipply.(B Warned). I had visions of the old town being very quaint and quiet,as never been to portugal before, I certainly got a shock, but it was a lovely shock, the old town bounces, and is a great atmosphere.We went to the strip at the other end of town,not for us im afraid, the old town beats it hands down.I would definately recommend this hotel for any age group, as for the entertainment, what can l say, for a four star it was rubbish, only saturday is a decent night, but if we go back to portugal, we would stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: rooms with even numbers are on the pool side.
2  Thank pat186411

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your review and for taking the time to give us your opinion regarding your stay at the Cerro Alagoa.
Your opinion and suggestions are very important and help us to improve our service and standards.
We hope that the recent renovations made in our hotel are of your approval and serve to improve our guests comfort.
We were pleased to find you have enjoyed your holiday at the Cerro Alagoa and hope to welcome you back in a near future to a Vila Galé Hotel.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

just back from 2 weeks at this hotel.Good location, good breakfast, very good housekeeping good pool.Poor service, staff unfriendly and or uninterested, pool toilets constantly smelt like bad public toilets. pub outdated, no aircon used in the hotel outside of your room which were good size but again a bit dated, no pool service, saw coffee cups left in same place for 2 days. Only had 1 evening meal which was poor.The hotel has a lot going for it but falls down on a lot of points aswell.One other thing, there was Stag and Hen parties staying at the weekends, not what you'd expect for a family/couples hotel.

2  Thank irishtraveller50

Dear Guest,

Your opinion and suggestions are welcome and very important and help us to improve our service and standards.
Thank you fpr choosing the Vila Galé Hotels

Reviewed 19 July 2014

Although we are 19, my friend and I had booked our trip to Portugal with the aim to relax and enjoy some beautiful seafood with the added extra of bars and a strip if we fancied it. Vila Gale was a very large contributing factor to what turned out to be the perfect holiday.

Our transfer to the hotel was seamless, and upon checking in we were handed numerous leaflets for excursions and a complimentary voucher for a free bottle of wine when we ate in the restaurant. We were in room 206 which had a lovely view of the pool and the air conditioning in the room was fantastic. I would just like to thank all of the maids for their fantastic service, as our room was cleaned every day without fail to an impeccable standard even when my friend and I were late in leaving our room they would always come back and clean it for us.

We had the B&B option and breakfast was brilliant with lots of choice. We were always shown to our table shortly after entering the restaurant, and the night we ate there for dinner the service was faultless. The staff were all massively friendly and genuinely happy to help, with one of the guys behind reception (Joao, I think) giving us some excellent recommendations of restaurants to try. We also received a voucher with offers of a massage and facials, and the massages were lovely. Both the indoor and outdoor pool were spotless, however the steps in the indoor pool were quite loose which may be a slight hazard to children. We also received a letter in our room from Edwardo inviting us for drinks on our final night, however we were sadly late getting in and saw the letter too late to join them - our apologies!

The reviews are true regarding the sunbeds, however we personally didn't mind the short walk to the beautiful beach or the old town to sun ourselves down there.

Overall, our stay was fantastic at Vila Gale and should I ever return to the area I would definitely book to stay here again.

Old town was fantastic for food, and as mentioned above we were recommended the beautiful seafood restaurant 'A Ruina' by reception. All restaurants surrounding that general area were lovely. I would also recommend a day trip to Villa Moura (roughly 25 euros in a taxi) and a walk down to the marina to visit the mayflower restaurant overlooking the marina which was fantastic. We did use the strip over the weekend and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. We have been to previous holidays such as Zante and the strip here was much more quiet (which is what we wanted) but still provided a good night out. All ages attended the strip, including families, and fun was had by all.

Thoroughly enjoyed our time in Portugal, and please excuse this final declaration of pure youth but in the words of my friend, it must be said that Pedro who was on reception is ' a complete Penghead' and was always happy to assist us with booking taxis and the such.

Room Tip: A room facing the pool was definitely lovely and quiet. If you attend the local markets, don't b...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Kelly S

Dear Guest

Thank you so much for your lovely review as it is really pleasing to find you enjoyed your first visit to Portugal and to the Cerro Alagoa.
We will pass on your review to our staff and thank you for choosing the Vila Gale Hotels.
We hope to welcome you back !