“Wonderful hotel, but...”

Areias Village Hotel Apartamento
Reviewed 11 September 2011

This was our 5th stay in the Areias Village. We have stayed in other hotels in Albufeira but we preferred the Areias above the others because - among its many attributes - it had a secure entrance gate which you needed your room key to access.

Unfortunately, this gate is now left open day and night allowing anybody access to the complex.
Apart from the obvious security implications, this free access has become noticed by some of the local residents, and also the guests staying at the 3 star Topazio hotel next door, with the consequences that on our last day there were so many Topazio guests using the Areias' pool area, some of the Areias' guests could not get a sunbed.

When I brought this situation to the receptionist's attention, I was told that the Topazio was now under the same management as the Areias, so this was allowed.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank IndieShropshire

Reviewed 29 August 2011

After mostly good reviews my expectations were high for this apartment complex so I will split this review into two.

The good;-

Hotel grounds - Nice landscaping, flowers, palm trees and setting

Location- 5 mins from the strip, 30 min walk from the old town and within 10 mins walk of Fishermans beach and Oura beach. A great central location thats close enough to all the main attractions but in a quiet location which was great

Hotel staff - Always friendly and helpful, can't knock em',

The apartment - Excellent, all you need with tasteful furnishings, 2 air conditioning units, great views of pool. Bathroom with bath and shower. Plenty of plug sockets, lovely bedroom all lit with classy LED lighting as well us the usual standard lighting.

The "Need to do better";-

Bars - The indoor bar never seemed to have any staff to serve you, the Pool bar didnt open till 11am (Although it was nearer 11.30am most days). The bar often had nobody to serve you. It also closed around 7pm, so if you fancied a drink near the pool outside it was a non starter. The bar staff were friendly but sometimes got the drinks and food order wrong due to their lack of English.

Bar Prices - A bottle of beer was 3.50 Euros, the best value drink was freshly squeezed orange at 2 euros. 3.50 For a beer seemed the same throughout the resort which is a bit steep I thought.

Food and Prices - At 13.50 Euros per person for breakfast we never bothered, you could get a full English breakfast over the road for 4.50. It would of cost of 40 Euros just for breakfast which is far too expensive. We did have lunch from the pool bar which was also expensive for the quality (Cheesburger and fries 7.50, Basic pasta 8.50, Toastie 3.50), the food was ok but nothing special and didnt justify the price.

Pool area - It claims to have 3 pools, It has 2, One standard pool which is fairly small but adequate and a childrens pool split into 2 for toddlers and kids. There are quite a lot of tiles missing from around the pool which is dangerous. Also the plastic grids around the pool often come off and nobody bothers to fix them. A lady fell down after falling down one and hurt herself whilst we were there. The sunbeds are too close to the pool which results in getting a soaking when someone jumps in close to you. I only saw the pool get cleaned once in 2 weeks, there was often various oddities at the bottom ranging from half eaten sweets to money!

Pool rules ;- This was a joke!!! There are rules which state - No playing of football in the pool, No Diving in the pool, Children must be accompanied by an adult, Only food and drink purchased from the pool bar can be consumed in the pool area, sunbeds must not be taken from the pool area. Every single one of these rules are ignored by holidaymakers and hotel staff. The most annoying being hit by balls at least 2/3 times a day when your trying to relax.

What is their target holidaymaker?- There was a mix of groups of lads, families, couples etc. The groups of lads could often be intimidating getting drunk and being load, swearing and fooling around. This was not acceptable with young children and families around and only once I heard a group of mid 40's men get told to be quieter. If you were a group of lads/girls out for a good laugh and bars/clubs holiday you would be a bit peeved at tapering your behaviour to suit families and vice versa.

Cleaning / Maids - The maids did a great job of cleaning, In the first week they would clean between 9am-1pm which was ideal. However in week 2, they didnt arrive till after 4pm which was inconvenient if you were getting ready to out for the evening.

Kitchen - This was the apartments only let down. As others have mentioned, No Toaster, We asked for one and got it the 1st day. It states there is a juicer, none present. Not enough glasses, No wine glasses. Only tiny cups and very few cooking utensils.

Toilets - The mens toilets around the pool was always without toilet paper, I was informed by my wife that it was always there in the ladies! They were reasonably clean.

Pillows - The pillows are small and not comfortable at all, but the beds were fine although it was 2 singles pushed together which seems to be standard these days.

Evening activities - Non existent, as mentioned earlier the outside bar closes at 7pm, no entertainment at all (Which we didnt want anyway as more often than not it's poor). However to have an evening drink outside would have been nice.

Money exchange - This is the first hotel I have ever been to that does not change travellers cheques, we had to walk a mile to the nearest one which became a regular journey throughout the 2 weeks

Summary - I am not sure how Portugal rates and stars it's hotels, this was rated four star. At first glance it looks four star, the room decor echoes four star, However the lack of attention to detail and general maintenance lets it down.

Would I visit again ;- If this hotel took more care about the basics I would go back without question as the room and hotel grounds are lovely. But as it stands I wouldnt stay again until they pay attention to the following;-

- Pool safety
- Adequate service from the bars
- Review the prices in line with surrounding cafe's and restaurant's
- Provide sufficient cooking utensils, glasses and a toaster (Without asking)
- Either make this a family friendly and couples hotel or state that large same sex groups are welcome (So I know not to book)
- Enforce the pool rules, or take the signs down to avoid any conflict between holidaymakers when they get regularly hit by balls and other flying objects.

I really wanted to provide a good review for this hotel as it has so much potential, but in the interests of others i've been honest. I myself use these reviews as a guide so believe the more information I can provide, the better informaed choices you can make.

So my final message to the Areias Village - " Clean up your act, take note of the feedback and I will be back, Until then I will be looking at other hotels.

Room Tip: E-mail them first
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
6  Thank KEVIN025
Reviewed 8 August 2011

Stayed one week B&B with family, the hotel itself is good and has excellent staff. We had a second floor appartment number 210 which has two sides to its balcony and evening sun.As previously stated the lighting in bathroom is poor and there is some noise from Kiss Disco, especially at chucking out time. We also had quite bad noise from above, people moving chairs ect late at night. The hotel could minimise this by giving families one side of the hotel and young groups the other side.
Overall a good hotel but not sure if I would stay again because of the noise issue.

Room Tip: Get a 4th floor appartment
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 August 2011

I read a number of reviews prior to booking and nothing was mentioned about the noise from around 2am through to 7.30 am from the club. These were not UK tourists but locals singing to the very loud music,breaking bottles and all things associated with drunken behaviour. I was surprised with the large number of all male groups staying at this supposed family hotel and had too complain on a number of occasions of the noise and behaviour. Hotel staff were very friendly and helpful but this is not a 4 star hotel....
I would not go back and would recommend you review the numerous other hotel options available.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
6  Thank steveg14
Reviewed 24 July 2011

The Hotel was beautiful from the outside and we were pleasantly surprised when we arrived. The view from the balcony was beautiful, and the apartments are very modern and spacious however the practicality of the apartments left a lot to be desired, not only were basics such as clean towels and bin bags missing from the room on occasion but for a couple of days we had to go without hot water as the staff claimed there was a plumbing problem and didn't actually get to speak to the manager at all as he "had no time" to speak to us. We were at one point dealt with by a hostile receptionist but when we finally were able to talk to someone else in charge (not the manager) she was very helpful and we were compensated with free cocktails. I would say the hotel would be best suited to short stay, up and go customers but 4 star... i'm not to sure about

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank sterivo27
Reviewed 19 July 2011

We stayed here for one week beginning 29th April. We had booked two rooms; one for me, hubby and 2 year old and one for my parents. We arrived early and one of the rooms was not ready but reception was very helpful. We were offered a cot even though this wasn't needed and given plenty of information by Marta. The room was spacious with living area, kitchenette and separate bedroom. We were on the third floor overlooking the car park which was absolutely fine for us as we sat on the balcony and watched the sun set every night. The room was very modern and spotlessly clean and our maid came every day. The pool was lovely with a small pool for toddlers which the little one just loved. There was also a small slide and swing which kept him happy. The hotel is just a very short walk away from the strip where there are loads of restuarants and bars and a short walk from the beach. The other direction takes you into old town. This was a further walk - maybe 15/20 minutes - but pleasant in the sunshine. Or, you can take the tourist train.
Our kitchen was well equipped but you do have to ask reception for a toaster.
If I had one complaint it would be about the noise. We often heard others "clip clopping" up and down the corridors late at night. That can't be helped I suppose but the noise from the room above moving around furniture drove us mad. Then, we realised that we were probably doing the same to the room below! Hotel should perhaps consider sound proof pads under the chairs and tables.
We would definately stay at this hotel again due to the price and location.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room which have bigger balconies.
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 July 2011

We have just returned from a couple of weeks in Albufeira staying at this hotel. It was just two of us and we booked a one bedroom apartment. We have previously stayed at the 4 star Pestana Alvor which was also self catering so I tend to compare it with that!

First the good points. The hotel is in a great location, just 5 minutes from the south end of the strip and about a 20 minute walk to the Old Town. There is also a really nice, quiet but small cove beach about 5 minutes away. If that's not your thing, the main Praia de Oura is only about 10 minute walk. The room itself was massive for the two of us. The room was also clean and well maintained, with cleaners coming in 6 days a week. There is a small grocery shop across the road and a supermarket at the end of the street so food is not a problem. The pool area with a poolside bar is also excellent and the bar snacks are actually pretty good too.

Now, the not so good. Perhaps I'm being fussy, but the bed was not a double bed, but 2 single beds pushed together with separate bedclothes. For me, having a double bed in a one bedroom apartment is standard. And the beds were not terribly comfortable. I questioned the receptionist about it and she said all the rooms were like that. I find that very strange, but it might not be a big deal for most people. Secondly, the kitchen is poorly stocked if you are looking to cook anything other than a Pot Noodle. There was a frying pan, saucepan, hob and microwave. No oven, not even a toaster. I found out on the last day that toasters are available on request, but none of the staff told me this. The hotel also has Wi - Fi, but this is only available in the lobby area and I found it very inconsistent. The hotel also charges for the use of the safe in the room, which came to 45euros for the 2 weeks (10euro returned when we checked out). I have never stayed in a 4 star hotel/ apartment and been charged for the use of the safe.

Overall, I would also have to say that the staff at reception are friendly, but not particularly useful. They told me the nearest supermarket was a 20minute walk away (luckily I found the one up the street), gave me incorrect directions to the Old Town and the postcards I sent from there about 2 weeks ago have still not arrived. I also just feel that the hotel doesn't provide some of the basic amenities that a four star hotel should (well stocked kitchen, safe etc). It may look pretty from the outside, but this is a hotel that thinks it's cleverer than it is. I would retun but only if I got a really good deal, as it's not worth paying 4 star prices.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple