“Wonderful hotel and staff!”

Areias Village Hotel Apartamento
Reviewed 20 February 2011

Me and my boyfriend (both 23) visited this hotel for our first trip abroad together. On arriving at the hotel we couldn't believe how much nicer it looked from the pictures we had seen on the internet. The reception staff were very friendly and helpful and the bar, internet room, pool and reception were very clean and attractive; if a little empty at this time of year!
The apartments themselves were beautiful and a lovely size. There were good appliances and utensils for people who wanted to cook in the apartments however all the local resteraunts are cheap and delicious so we ate out every night. There is a small shop 2 minutes walk away or a Spar shop about 15 minutes walk away, which was very cheap and had a wide range of food and drink.
The weather in February was quite tempremental and would be brilliant sunshine one minute and hailing (no exxageration!) the next! I would probably reccomend going to Albufeira in April time when it will be warmer but not too busy.
The range of day trips were large and varied, however again these were limited due to the weather: no boat trips, etc. We visited Quateria market, which was a nice way to spend a morning although again it was smaller than usual due to the fact it had been raining a lot that morning. We also went on a half day trip to Silves and Monchique, absolutely beautiful locations and the tour guide was lovely and friendly as well as extremely knowledgable about the local area. Sadly, when we got to the top of Monchique (the highest point in the Algarve) it was pouring down and so foggy we couldn't see any of the view! It is definitely worth doing a lot of the day trips on offer but we were glad we only paid for half day trips as the weather was too bad to commit to a full day's trip. However we were told by other travellers on the tour that they had been to Albufeira at this time of year before and the weather had been beautiful so maybe it was just a one-off.
The local area was beautiful and there are a couple of small beaches about 5 minutes walk from the apartments. There were hardly any people on the beaches and it was the first time I've been to a beach that actually looked like something out of a travel brochure!
Even though many of the resteraunts on the strip were closed due to it being out of season, there was still quite a wide range to chose from. We had some lovely meals, in particular the wonderful 'Donaldos' with it's very friendly staff and delicious food and a lovely resteraunt and bar by the beach where they made a huge effort to make sure everyone had a wonderful valentine's day. I can't remember the name of this resteraunt but if you head down the hill to the sea front, BJ's cafe is on your right and this is on your left, from the roundabout, with tables outside to sit by the sea and enjoy some lovely sangria!
We would both highly reccommend these apartments and this area although maybe a little later in the year!!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank L0u88

Reviewed 14 February 2011

Not at all quaint but very modern and new, a/c in bedroom and sitting area, large private balcony, check your apartment list as many items missing, nice bathroom, all clean and no smells. staff lovely. This area is really nice, well kept and smart. The local beach was shut off !!??? and I had to get to it thru the Aquamar hotel, turn right out of hotel and walk for 5 mins, then along the far side of Aquamar is a beach path, beach is fantastic and you can walk right along to old town, tides allowing. Nearest decent supermarket is up to the strip ( 5 min walk away) to main carriageway, turn left 5 mins Pingdouce over road Mondelo further up on left, takes about 20 mins. The old town along the beach road takes 20 mins walk. Feb weather is like our early summer but you take a chance on rain, which I didnt get.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 February 2011

I stayed at this hotel with my 8yr old in Oct 2010 half term after going to the area for Easter holiday and staying at the Auramar (down the road from Areias) and hating it. On my trip in April I popped in to Areias to check it out as I could tell from the outside alone that it was a better hotel and was impressed with what I saw. Therefore when my son was set on going back to Portugal in October Areias was the only place I was interested in staying.

I could not have been happier with my accomodation! I opted for SC which was a good call as my son is a fussy eater and the local mini mart 2 mins away stocked all the necessities. It being a 5 min walk from the strip meant we could stroll up the road for lunch or dinner whenever we wanted.

The hotel is stunning, very cleaning and impressive. Our apartment was a 1 bedroom corner one which was massive. It was very cosy and felt like home in no time. Our balcony wrapped the side and front of the building and was so big it was a shame we didnt have more people to share it with!! Staff cleaned daily and changed linen twice a week for eco reasons. There is a laundry room in the basement which is easy to use.

I had read some reviews on here regarding the noise from the nightclub across the road, which our room was facing and was dreading to weekend. But to be honest it did not bother me, yes you could hear the noise if you focussed on it, but it wasnt blasting and you could get to sleep.

The only down side was they do not have an indoor pool and at that time of year the outside one can be freezing. To remedy this problem (rightly or wrongly) I packed a bag and took my son to the Auramar to use their indoor pool. A bit cheeky I know but there is no security, no one stops you and asks any questions and I spent enough money on the premises to not feel guilty about it.

My holiday was excellent and I was sorry to have to come home which I've never felt before and would definately go to Areias again without a doubt.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank LondonTasha
Reviewed 13 January 2011

Modern hotel, with no atmosphere or ambience whatsoever. Everyone avoided sitting in the lounge areas, and the bar area was always empty. The reception staff were offhand and particularly unhelpful. The single beds were cheap, nasty and very uncomfortable.The cleaning was cursory and very poor. Cooking facilities were limited, no grill or oven, just a hob and micrwave. Pots/pans and utensils were inadequate. Albufeira itself was grubby, and the 'strip' was a disgusting, worse than Blackpool. The whole resort was dated and depressing. We will definitely not be back to this hotel, or Albufeira.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank aliB50
Reviewed 4 January 2011

Hotel only opened in March 2010 and it met the ground running. Nice modern and airy reception, staff willing to help and food to a very good standard. The rooms were fully equipped and spacious and you only need to bring/buy a few essentials to be set for your holiday. We went half board and loved every minute of it. Security is a priority and outsiders have to be out by 10pm. All in all can't be faulted.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 January 2011

We stayed here for a week from 20-27th December, the weather was ok, rainy n sunny in parts. Now to the Hotel. We were very impressed when we arrived, it was modern, clean and had an electric entry system at the front gate, so we felt very secure. The reception was really modern. Our room was lovely, as you will have seen from the pictures, it's like having a 1 bed apartment on holiday. It has everything you need, fridge, hobs, kettle, toaster, TV (with itv 1, BBC1, Sky News and MTV in English) and leather sofa. The beds were comfortable and bathroom well equipped. The balcony overlooked the pool n was a sun-trap when the clouds parted.
The food in the hotel we found to be excellent, because they weren't full, we had meals made (no buffet) n the quality and service was excellent. Breakfast was everything you would want, fruit, ham, cheese, cereal, yogurt, toast, bacon,egg, beans, sausage, croissants etc, very nice :)
The hotel was located in a good location, 5mins from the beach (one of many) and 3-4 mins to the bottom of the strip. Close to a supermarket, where u can but the food and drink for your room.
Would recommend this hotel.
Tip: if you stay here, bring a tea towel, some tea bags (as they were expensive for English tea) and washing up liquid and sponge/cloth. I know these can be bought locally but saves u the hassle on the 1st day :)
Definitely visit the Old Town Square, nice shops and bars, a lovely walk or about €4 in a taxi :) enjoy!

• Stayed: December 2010
2  Thank fletch_thegr8
Reviewed 31 December 2010

Just recently returned from a lovely trip to the Algarve and decided to stay at the Areias Village Apartamento whilst there. The apartment itself was very spacious, clean, tidy and nicely presented, better than I expected. Staff were polite and I found the receptionist very helpful. The two bar staff ( Pablo and Alphonse, made up names as I didn't get their real ones!!!) were sometimes busy working the bar and dining area but always made time to see that you were seen to and we didn't have to wait too long for anything. Its a good location for exploring Albufeira as its near to the strip and the little train that takes you around but not too close(which was great for us as wanted something slightly away from the hustle and bustle). The only slight negative was the music that I occasionally heard from the nightclub over the road around 5am, I as a very light sleeper awoke once or twice but it wasn't persistent and not too loud. My partner on the other hand didn't wake once so It wasn't really an issue. Breakfast was good with a wide variety including continental, full english etc and the meals were slightly expensive but not bad at all Overall I would definitely stay here again, great location and very nice apartments. Also try one of the Caipirinha's at the bar very tasty indeed!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple