“'WHAT A RETURN'”

Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Skipton, United Kingdom
“'WHAT A RETURN'”
Reviewed 17 February 2014

I ate at Cepa Velha in Oct 13 and my review expressed my disappointment of the meal I had on that occasion. Wow am I glad I went back, I visited many times during my 6 weeks stay, mainly for drinks and snacks as I was on half board at the nearby Auramar, but on my last evening there the wonderful Olivia and Juan invited me to dine with them as their guest, oh what a treat, the food was fabulous, the wine superb and the company great, tasty tit-bits to start, succulent garlic prawns to follow, then beautiful steak with portuguese potatoes, and even though bursting at the seams we followed all that with a lovely dessert of cake, strawberries, ice cream and cream ! Wow, what an evening, fantastic !
With a friend I also visited 3 times on Thursdays for the Fado nights, though all in Portuguese the night was great entertainment, it was also good to see Juan enjoying himself joining in with his guitar and sometimes the triangle. Overall, the ambience at the Cepa created by the friendliness and attentiveness of the hosts is first class. At this stage I am not sure of my next trip to the Algarve, but, I am sure that when I do go Cepa Velha will be one of the first places I will be visiting, and it will be my intention to dine there more often !

• Visited February 2014
2 Thank BObell_12

• Polish first
Calne, United Kingdom
“Top Quality”
Reviewed 29 January 2014

We visited Cepa Velha on a Thursday evening - live music and it was great. Food was delicious (Chicken Piri Piri 6euros) and the service 2nd to none.
Very friendly staff and relaxed atmosphere. Delicious garlic and coriander carrots served with the bread starter.
A must if staying at the Auramar Resort Hotel.

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank martybearcobner
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Friendly service and great food”
Reviewed 9 January 2014

As previously stated, from the outside it looks a bit cafe like but inside it's absolutely fine. Like most people the two things I look for in a restaurant are service and food and to get excellent standards of both at a great price is an added bonus.

Juan was absolutely excellent and attentive. My wife had the piri piri chicken (just €6!) and I had the portuguese steak, both were delicious.

The whole thing reminded of when the early days of holidaying when you would get friendly staff and good quality food at a bargain price, sadly it's getting harder to come by but certainly in evidence here. Our only regret was that we visited on the last night of our holiday and so were unable to come back again for the Thursday night with traditional Portuguese music but it's on our list of things to do next time we're there.

• Visited January 2014
2 Thank ewerk1
Chertsey, United Kingdom
“Super friendly!”
Reviewed 11 December 2013

A must on a Thursday evening!
"Every" Thursday at around 8p.m. you have the opportunity of listening to quality Portuguese Fado Music whilst enjoying good food with excellent hosts.
During a long break in November we attended on three of the four nights when the entertainment was available.
The local food plus good wines at reasonable prices allowed my wife and myself to enjoy our winter break to the Algarve without breaking the bank!
A pint of lager costs 2 euros (approx. £1.80) - the same brand costs over 3 euros in Spain.

A special thanks to the Cepa Velha customer who drove me to a pharmacy to collect an urgently required prescription.

The Albufeira people are in general very friendly.

My only criticism is that I do not think that the advantages of Portugal during the winter season are given sufficient publicity by the Tourist Office.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank Tom M
Belfast, United Kingdom
“friendly staff nice food”
Reviewed 26 October 2013

This is the first time we have tried here even though we have passed it on many occasions . We were both pleasantly surprised and will definitely return , just sorry we didn't try it sooner .

• Visited October 2013