Things got off to a bad start when I was taken to a small, cramped ground floor room in block 2 - it was so small that you couldn't open the wardrobe doors properly and overlooked a grassy bank. When I complained and said that I had booked a sea-view room I was told that they only had a note of a standard room and this was the only one available unless I wanted to pay another 100 euros. I got the distinct impression that I wasn't the first person to complain about this room as when I mentioned the wardrobe doors they offered to come and remove the bed side table so that they could open properly - they also said all standard rooms were exactly the same size which I later found out wasn't in fact the case (the other rooms I was later moved to had wardrobes in the hall not in the main room). Fair enough it was Jet 2's fault as they had not confirmed this on their booking with the hotel and it took me a day and a half to sort it out however it would have been nice if the hotel could have taken my word for it and moved us to a better room right away - especially as the trip was an early birthday present for my 75 year old mother. When I refused to stay in the ground floor room (even if I had only booked a normal standard room I wouldn't have been happy with this room) they eventually moved us to a slightly larger standard room overlooking the road which we had to stay in for one night before eventually being moved to a sea-view room (the road was surprisingly noisy for such a quiet resort) . It might sound minor but when you are only on a four night break little things matter. The rest of the hotel is nice although very basic and minimal in design (more like a city travel-lodge than a luxury hotel) - there is a great choice of food for breakfast but similar to other reviewers the hot food was never actually hot and the grill for toast took forever to actually brown the bread. The showers were great (though would have been nice to have a bath too). The grounds and swimming pools were lovely and the beach (reached by a wooden walkway) was fantastic. Not many nearby places to eat if you don't want to stay in the hotel (many are 20 minutes walk away which is fine for most people but not great for elderly or less mobile travellers). Also no local bus service into nearby towns (apart from the sight seeing tourist bus which costs the same as a taxi). Didn't eat dinner in the hotel apart from snacks and thought the nightly buffets were a bit expensive at 25 euros per person - all in all I think it is the location and the outdoor areas of this hotel which really sell it - the staff were also very helpful
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Boasting a unique location on the dunes at Salgados beach, close to Albufeira, Salgados Dunas Suites offers guests an authentic oasis atmosphere in lush, extensive gardens, with nine attractive swimming pools nestling amid palm and olive trees. The hotel comprises six adjoining buildings located on the dunes and offering magnificent views over one of the region’s most beautiful beaches from the privacy of your suite’s spacious balcony. Here, you can truly relax and enjoy the wonderful sea view. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Jet2Holidays , TravelUp, Booking.com, LoveHolidays, Expedia, Alpha Holidays Limited, Evoline ltd, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, Hotels.com, HotelsClick, Ebookers, HotelQuickly, 5viajes2012 S.L. and Cancelon so you can book your Salgados Dunas Suites reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Cs Salgados Dunas Hotel Albufeira
- Salgados Dunas Suites Albufeira, Algarve, Portugal