“extremely poor quality”

Cuisines: Portuguese
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Facing the Casa de Fonte
Reviewed 23 February 2013

We were staying nearby at the sol e mar and were enticed in by a very slick sales pitch by a male touting for business outside, bad move. We decided to go for the meat cataplanas, a portugese stew with a variety of meat pork chicken and beef. This meal was the worst I have ever eaten in a restaurant. The pork(AT LEAST THAT WE WHAT THOUGHT IT WAS) was completely inedible, chewy, tasteless and very poor quality. Whilst waiting for the food I witnessed one waitress and the chef on separate occasions smoking at the front of house at the charcoal grill and flicking their cigarette ash in the coals. Should have left then. Complete waste of money, you can get much better in the vicinity. Avoid!!!!!

Reviewed 5 February 2013

We found this place very close to our hotel (Sol e Mar) while walking back there one afternoon. The boss was standing outside and he had lots of fresh sardines on display, so we decided to go back in the evening and try them. Well, I had the sardines (served with the now familiar salad and chips) and my wife had a mixed kebab which came on a lovely dangling skewer with a flame underneath. All very tasty and large portions (I think there were six large sardines on my plate, I couldn't finish them which is not my style !)
We both enjoyed our meal and the boss was most attentive and friendly to us. January in Albufeira is pretty quiet but he had several tables of clients in that night. We enjoyed it so much that we took our frinds back the next night when we had a selection of meat and fish dishes - all lovely, and again the manager was all over us. Great fun - not as cheap as some but highly recommended.

Reviewed 29 January 2013

Great value lunch menu @ less than £5.00, with choice of chicken or pork or several types of fish. Mario the waiter speaks perfect English and is very obliging.

Reviewed 20 January 2013

"Chicken is very big - so that's why it is bloody" - fantastic explanation from waiter - twice! "Vino de casa" was more expensive than main course - for a small bottle (37.5 cl) Crazy! It's a Tourist trap!

Reviewed 17 September 2012

We ate here twice as we'd really enjoyed our meal here. On our first visit we ordered the Seafood cataplana. It was excellent and at 28 euros for 2 really good value, it was really tasty and plenty of seafood. We returned a couple of nights later and I had the swordfish steak (with potatoes & veg) and hubby had the lamb chops (5 chops!) The portions were very generous and the food nicely cooked and well presented. I thought this was a great little restaurant.....good food at a good price.