“Beautiful Hotel - Breakfast only dissappointment”
Review of Salgados Palace

Salgados Palace
Ranked #30 of 154 Hotels in Albufeira
Reviewed 9 May 2014

Me and my boyfriend visited this hotel in September and we couldn't have asked for a better week!

The hotel was imaculate and v.modern. Exactly what a 5* hotel should be. Our rooms were huge and v.clean.

The pool was lovely and peaceful. Most people staying there were Portugese we were one of the only English. The breakfast was the only dissapointment, it was always cold and there wasn't much choice. The lunch was lovely, and dinner was not great either.

The hotel is about a 20 minute walk from the beach i would reccomend walking and not getting a cab as the walk is a lot more enjoyable.

It is about a 20 minute cab ride into town which can be quite costly if you want to get out of the hotel every night.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Anna S

Reviewed 6 May 2014

We had a great experience at the Salgados Grande Hotel. We were 3 couples staying for a long bank holiday weekend:

Pros:

Great value for money
5 minute walk to Salgados and Gale beaches which are both beautiful
Friendly and helpful staff
Generous buffet breakfast included
Comfortable beds and huge rooms
3 lovely pools
Right next to the golf course which was great too
Incredible spa facilities which were free of charge

Cons:

The driving range is located right next to the swimming pools, so it's only open from 8am-10am..bit of a strange design fault.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Richard B
Reviewed 1 May 2014 via mobile

Pool: amazing, lovely natural round stone pools with a dark natural blue water.
Birds surrounding the hotel and on the grounds were lovely.
Food: we only experienced breakfast but probably the biggest selection and best quality breakfast I ever had!
Beds: the most comfortable beds ever, in fact we nearly got one shipped over to the UK!
Location: near a lovely beach and lovely walks.
Spa: beautiful, had a circuit spa and it was just lovely.
I really can rate this hotel as being a dramatic entrance, superior, great views from your amazing room with great food and cleanliness!

• Stayed: October 2013
6  Thank LauraB23
Reviewed 25 April 2014

Just returned from 5 night stay at Salgados grande. Hotel is very modern and the staff are extremely helpful. We were delayed and did not arrive at the hotel until after the restaurant had closed and without asking we were told they had arranged for food to be sent to our room. This is definitely going above and beyond.
The rooms are large and spacious. The wet room is amazing with a drench style shower. There is an indoor pool in the spa but note you have to buy a swimming cap for 5 euros if you have not brought your own.
The food was the only disappointment. It lacked in quality and in choice but there was always something you could find.
There is a supermarket a ten min walk away but there are no other amenities in close walking distance. Gale beach is approx 15mins by foot and has a great beachside cafe.
The algarve sightseeing bus stops right outside the hotel which we used to visit Albuferia. A 24hr ticket cost 13 euros for an adult.
Overall we had a very relaxing and enjoyable stay so if you are looking for a hotel to unwind,away from all the action then this place is ideal.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Lorna S
Reviewed 2 November 2013

We stayed here late October 13.....You really need a car rental here...I dont like relying on buses and cabs...15 minute drive to Albufeira which you must visit the old town...Hotel beautiful grand modern..rooms clean with great wet room and balconey...staff more that helpful..three pools and a spa ...don't go for a hot breakfast cause there aint any..scramble eggs sausages bacon all cold (dont mean cool I mean cold) go for the hams cold meats ..great...tea and coffee also cold so go back to your room and use the kettle, We were on a bed and breakfast break but 2 great restuarants nearbye....not much to do within walking distance except a golf course (I dont play golf) Overall great break but a bit too remote and quiet.

Room Tip: Rooms to the front of the hotel have views over he golf course.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank alastairmckinney
Reviewed 24 October 2013

This is our 2nd visit to this hotel and have to say that the hotel remains a firm favourite of ours. If you like a peaceful location with outstanding views salgados is the place. car hire is needed but then most visitors hire cars. Service and cleanliness in the hotel is superb. We've just had dinner and the standard of food was excellent. A small choice but good value for money. Service from check in, restaurant and bar facilities have been first class. Ignore other reviews and give this hotel a go I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: October 2013
4  Thank G_D_Milne
Reviewed 19 October 2013

Another weekend escape, this time to Algarve, a south region of Portugal very famous as beach destination. After a 2h30 car drive from Lisbon I finally arrived in Albufeira (the nearest big city to the hotel +/- 10km) and then folow the indications to the hotel. The indications until the CS Salgados complex was good but in the complex the indications to the reception didn't exist. After arrival theres anyone to pick up the bagage so I was parked my car (in a outside park in front of the hotel entry and another underground park) and I went to the enormous front desk. The recepcionist well recived me and explained me everithing about the hotel. Then I was folowed to the most remote room of the hotel (579) by a staff that had presented me the hotel but din't carried my luggage. The room was big, well decorated and a bit diferent from the "normal" hotel rooms because have a separated room with the toilet and the bidet and another with a shower (A big disavantage to had a shower instead of a bath or a bath). The sink was behind the main bedroom separated by a wall. The requested king size bed was a 2 single bed together what was very very uncomfortable because when I was in the middle of the bed it separated in 2. The view was pretty good to many palm trees in the front of the hotel. After I was installed I read a welcome letter that was delivered me in check in and saying that I need to pay 10€/person to enter in the SPA... When I read that I was disappointed because in 15 years of travels not only in Portugal but in some destinations in the world, from a 3 stars to a 7 stars hotel never but never charged me to use a inside pool but I think it's just one time. The SPA design was amazing has the all hotel! I went to the pool with hot water that I really like. After some time in the hot water I really want to try the jacuzzi but when I entered I had to leave because the water was very cool and the jacuzzy jet was to weak. Then I went to the sauna that was had a god size. No Turkish bath in the SPA what was a shame! In the other day, after a not very good night because of the "2 single beds together" I went to the breakfast. Another time this breakfast buffet wasn't at the level of a 5 stars hotel because it needs more variaty of options! After breakfast I went to the reception and ask for a late check-in to 2pm to use more the pool I had payed the day before. It was accepted and I went to the pool and then the rude SPA recpetionist (that speaks a very bad english) said me that I need to pay again to use the pool... if I thing that the tax os 10€ isn't logic, the 10€/day tax is shameless for any hotel even more a 5 stars hotel and in the welcome letter the hotel didn't informed me that tax is per day! In summary this hotel is very weel decorated and designed but with a very bad managing because the staff had not sufficent trainning, the question of a king size bed was a 2 single bed together is a solution for a 3 star hotel not a 5 star and also the payed SPA is shameless for any hotel... Just for a 1 night stay I payed 40€... imagine if you gona with your family for a week or two...

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple