“OK, but not the best piri piri I've had.” 3 of 5 bubbles

O Manel Dos Frangos
Ranked #226 of 769 Restaurants in Albufeira
Price range: US$15 - US$20
Good for: Cheap Eats, Kids, Groups, Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Rainy England
“OK, but not the best piri piri I've had.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

I visited this restaurant on the first night of my recent holiday as my friend had read the positive reviews on trip advisor.

We were aware that the restaurant only did two dishes, prawns and piri piri chicken, but that wasn't a problem.

The restaurant wasn't that busy when we arrived and we ordered our food, both of us ordered chicken, a side salad, and two large beers.

We were given bread, butter and pate, but declined the local cheese.

Despite the restaurant being fairly quiet, we had quite a long wait for our food and noticed that diners arriving after us seemed to get their food first. I always wonder if this is a ploy to get customers to order more drinks.

The chicken arrived with a tasty tomato salad and fresh cooked chips. The food was piping hot, but there wasn't an awful lot of meat on the chicken, it was a bit scrawny, considering it was for two people.

I must admit, it was very tasty, but not the best piri piri I've ever tasted.

We didn't go back during our time there, but I may give this place another go if I visit Albufeira again.

• Visited June 2014

Manchester
“Could do better”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2014 via mobile

I've just returned from the Algarve after a weeks holiday. We went here on our first night after reading recommendations here. Service friendly, but could've been quicker, especially as they only do chicken and prawns. My friend and I asked for mild and hot chicken, but it was brought on the same platter, and we couldn't tell any difference. Chicken was lovely and tasty, although slightly "bitty" pieces. Delicious tomato salad and ample amounts of chips. Nice first evening, but I wouldn't be in a rush to visit again

1 Thank manicManc
Kilmuckridge, Ireland
“Average food at rip off prices”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2014

My husband and I passed this restaurant a few times on our holiday to Portugal and decided to try it (we had also read good reviews about it on Tripadvisor!) The restaurant itself was pleasant and we obtained a window seat. The staff were also friendly and efficient. We ordered house red wine which was very nice and ordered two chicken piri piri (our favourite Portuguese dish and one we had eaten a lot of since we were there). We were asked if we wanted chips and salad with it and of course we said yes as everywhere else we ate gave you chips and salad without asking you. They gave us bread and cheese and sardine paste to start with which we didn't ask for but we always order bread so we ate that anyway. The food was okay. Edible but the portions were only what you could describe as "skimpy" and we left the restaurant still hungry. It was a bit of a shock when we received the bill which was €35. Most places we ate charged around €6-7 for chicken piri piri with chips and salad and no more than €10 for a decent house red wine so we expected to pay no more than €25 including tip. They had charged us extra for the chips and salad and quite a bit more for the bread and cheese. If you are eating here, please be aware that you will be charged for absolutely everything but if you go to any of the many restaurants in the Montechoro area you will receive a very nice chicken piri piri meal with chips and salad for no more than €7.

• Visited May 2014
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Pontefract, United Kingdom
“OMG This is Piri Piri to die for!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2014

We have just returned from a 10 Day SC holiday in Albufeira and ate here twice (Something I have never done before in dozens of holidays) and even contemplated throwing away the food we had bought to cook for our last night and going again, it really is that good!

My wife and I as well as our 13 year old son all really enjoyed the chicken and the tomato salad. Tomato's, onions, oregano and olive oil sounds very basic, but the best food always is. We didn't experience any of the problems other diners have complained about and would go back in a hearbeat, even joking we would pay the flights and go back for dinner 1 night.

Definitely not an up market type restaurant but if you like good local food at a fair price, friendly staff and great service then this place was great

• Visited April 2014
Newcastle upon Tyne
“Simple Food but Excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2014

This restaurant is perfect for anyone who enjoys basic no frills Portuguese cooking. Limited choice with chicken piri piri, or barbecued prawns (huge on a skewer) with chips and tomato & onion salad. Service is excellent and family friendly. Have been here in both peak and off peak times and reassuring to see the local Portuguese families eating here regularly. This speaks for itself, given that the top half of the Strip is dying on its feet and the Hotel Montechoro is clearly not the attraction it once was for bringing people and footfall to the area.

My family and I are regular visitors to this area and were very disappointed to see our other favourite O Poeta has sold out after many years of excellent food. Its a good job that Frangos is still around and please do not relocate as you will be a huge miss.

• Visited April 2014