All reviewspool areaold townuphill walkup hillcleaned every dayan updatesteep stepslick of paintthe hotel is cleanmain townquiet at nighthotel is situatedquiet locationfresh towelsbit datedrelaxing holidaystayed here for a week
Reviewed 1 October 2013

After reading all these bad reviews, was dreading staying at this hotel, As a young couple we really enjoyed are stay here and was more than pleased for what we paid for. Ok the the most modern and does need updating, but clean, nice food and fantastic views. Great location to the night life for the old town and new. Restaurant staff were a credit it the hotel especially Manuel Garcia, so friendly and helpful. Will be returning next year!!!

1  Thank Kate983
Reviewed 30 September 2013

My partner and i booked a suite at this hotel. We arrived early afternoon to find no room at all booked never mind a suite. After a bit fussing around the lady on reception found our booking. no suite available till next day but hey ....not a problem for one night.
Next day an arrogant young lady told us we could not move as we had not completed a full check out before 12.00 from the temporary room. Grrrr anyway after explaining the situation we were shown to a "suite" 513 on 5th floor. Patio door was all cracked and held together with tape....air con was absolutely useless, one coat hanger, fridge leaking, ants all over sink in area in the bathroom.
We didnt complain just asked for more coat hangers and decided that we would just enjoy our holiday and at least we would know not to book the Boa Vista again.
The balcony was large and the views were great. We went down to breakfast to find that although we found the breakfast totally acceptable and nice, the staff were extremely miserable and straight faced.
The room was never cleaned just the bed made up...usually about 4.30 ish. I had to request clean towels and toilet rolls on numerous occasions. The balcony was never ever swept for the duration of the holiday.
7 days into our holiday we had a full day of rain which resulted in large brown stains appearing on all the walls of the room.....staff were not interested in the least even though I told them that i could hear persistent dripping noises coming from somewhere. We only had that one day of rain and the weather returned to being red hot as it had been the first 6 days. On our 9th day the ceiling of the room caved in and along with half the ceiling down came lashings of water!!!!
The staff efficiently moved us to the executive suite...pleeeeeeese.... executive suite????
I am not even going to comment for fear of sounding like a complete moaner......I am not.....I have stayed in 2* hotels years ago when my children were small, and some of them were potential death threats....but we got what we payed for and as long as the beds were clean and the toilets worked we never ever complained.
The Boa Vista was not cheap but we were not given the service, accomodation or satisfaction that should have matched the price paid. People work hard all the year around for their holidays and that is why I am putting this review on here. I hate to think of people using their hard earned cash for a holiday to be faced with this hotel when they get there.
It is a total shame...the hotel is in a good location with great views but 2* would be a more appropriate rating.

6  Thank Sharon S
Reviewed 28 September 2013 via mobile

Me and my girlfriend stayed in this hotel in early September this year. When we got there at approx 11.30pm after a long flight we were greeted by a man at the reception. I said we had booked the double executive sea view room and he said yes and gave us the keys. Once we got into the "room" we suddenly noticed this was not a room or a executive room or a sea view room. We had a box tv and a box balcony and a very dark prison cell room!
My girlfriend and I went to the receptionist who insisted he didn't do reservations and that we should go to sleep as it was late. To which my girlfriend didn't approve of and complained until he said to her to come back at 9am the next day to talk to the girl who did the reservations. So we didn't unpack and then went to the reception the next day who told us they had no more rooms left for us. To which my girlfriend and I both started to kick up a fuss that we had booked rly far in advance and wanted a sea view room. Eventually after the girl on the reception not speaking and just holding her hands up constantly she said we could have the deluxe room at 2pm the day therefore wasting our first day waiting for our right room!!! Very annoying!
The breakfast was okay and the pool was clean but very cold. Also if you like to listen to the same song every 2 minutes then this hotel is for you. As there was a poolside cd which played the same music all day every day!!
Overall the hotel has a good view and good location but unhelpful and unfriendly staff with no manners and a low level of cleanliness. Will not be returning to this not so good 4* (maybe -4*) hotel!

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Andy B
Reviewed 28 September 2013

This hotel was very disappointing, on checking in we were told rooms were not available until 2p.m. so we left our luggage and went for a walk. On our return they were still trying to sort out a room for us. The receptionist said the room we had been allocated was not very nice and she was trying to change it. As you can see from other reviews we had been given one below the pool area, we were told we could have a look at it but as we had booked a sea view room and I had read some of the previous reviews I refused and told them I would not accept a room downstairs. Eventually they offered us a room on the 4th floor which we accepted. It was okay nothing special other than the view from the very small balcony which wasquite lovely. The bed although alright had two single sheets laid width ways across the mattress - no double sheet!. We were booked in for two weeks and the beds were only changed once. Someone did come in each day but not until about 4.30p.m. so if you wanted to have a rest you couldn't. Some days you got clean towels some days you did n't, some days they didn't leave any. The card key to the room had to be continuously reprogrammed as it wouldn't let you in. The pool area could have been lovely apart from the pool needed a good clean - it had a black tide mark all the way round. We were staying half-board, what a mistake. Breakfast was okay but the evening meal was an absolute disaster. On one night it was a buffet which consisted of salad (fine) soup (cold) main course was usually a couple of meat dishes, fish, pasta and vegetables. They were all tasteless and cold. They were kept in metal containers with candles underneath to try and keep it warm - totally useless. On alternate nights you had a menu to choose from but this was no better. The "chef" didn't seem to have a clue. There were only 2 people in the dining room to oversee things, there was no barman, some nights you couldn't have a drink as they weren't cold enough or were so cold they had frozen. We felt very sorry for the staff as they were doing their best but management didn't seem to care. Would definitely not return to this hotel, what a shame as it could be beautiful. It is very hilly so definitely not good for people who are less able and if you have children don't even consider as there is absolutely nothing for them. In my opinion it needs a total refurbishment.

Room Tip: Room with a sea view a must
Reviewed 28 September 2013

This was an awful hotel I went with my friend and they put us in a room below the pool with a small double bed we complained and they changed us to a room below that again so basically a dungeon decided to wait till the following morning but then discovered cockroaches complained again and they put us in an apartment across the street which wasn't bad but didn't have a pool so moved again to a room on the third floor a bit better but didn't change sheets had to keep asking for towels food was awful staff were nice but would never stay there again

Room Tip: Only if you have a room on floors 4 or 5 and we're not fussy about cleansnes
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends