“Very pretty well looked after resort”

Pine Cliffs Hotel, a Luxury Collection Resort
Ranked #16 of 154 Hotels in Albufeira
New Forest, England
“Very pretty well looked after resort”
Reviewed 14 July 2007

We too have only just returned from 11 nights at this hotel, and were also wondering what to expect having read others reviews as of late. However we (myself, husband & 3.5 year old son) were actually pleasantly surprised.
Yes there were children running around, but you know, even those who like and can afford the luxury of 5 star hotels have kids. Are we supposed to just go to 2 & 3 star hotels because of them? And there was an adults only section, though the boundary of it is unclear; its up past the pool and into the wooded pine trees area, I think a lot of people just see the sings saying 'adults only area' and dont realise its up away from the pool - and I saw NO kids up there during our stay, as they want to all be near the pool area. So i dont think people can complain about kids 'running riot' because they werent.
The food and drinks were expensive, but its a 5 star hotel for heavens sake. You'd pay exactly the same if not more if you stayed in a 5 star hotel in London. If paying 3EUR50 for a can of coke bothers you, go out to the local supermarket and buy a bottle, the hotel staff are more than happy to give you free glasses of ice. Also the breakfast buffet I could not fault, there were 3 types of juice (apple, orange & tomato) available every day, also champagne, hot choc and the usual selections of teas and coffee. The bread & cakes were fresh and the food plentiful. I cant understand the previous reviewers comments at all.
As for the two evening buffets we ate at, their was a huge range available and they didnt even charge us for our sons (though ours weren't cheap, but that goes back to my previous point). the Piri Piri & O Grill restaurants served excellent food also.

My only gripe is that, enjoying our stay and surroundings so much, we went to look at the apartments for sale (our choice, we weren't pressured to do so), which highlighted just how dated the hotel actually is. Though the hotel is 17 yrs older than the apts so fixtures and fittings are going to look a bit tired. But things like the apts had nice wooden table & chairs on the balconies, and we had like 2 white plastic chairs & table (£4.99 job from B&Q), and the balcony was so high (and brick) we couldnt see out once sat down, they could replace this with pallisade like the apts have on their balconies for example.

There was a super little land train that ferried you around the resort, the beach was lovely, the golfing facilities looked excellent (i dont play golf), lots of tennis courts, spa excellent. No grumbles at all.

• Liked — facilities
  • Disliked — bit dated
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled with family
5 Thank Flubberjub

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
  • Polish first
London
Reviewed 9 July 2007

My girlfriend and I have been back one day after a week in the Sheraton.

After reading all the previous reviews up until the day of departure, I must admit, I was begining to dread how the holiday was going to turn out.

All the negative reports seem to indicate a completly overated resort.

We are seasoned travellers, and as the total cost of the holiday was far from cheap my, expectations, mainly due to the cost, was very high. Therefore I was detemined to arrive with an open mind, but ready to say my piece if things were below the 5 star rating and 5 star cost. (now there's a good positive start to a holiday !! )

Most of my fears were resolved, The hotel and room (deluxe) was spotless, the gardens lush and well kept, the pools very clean. I didnt play golf but walked the course, a perfect 9 hole, Ideal for all comers.

All the staff in were attentive, polite, and consistant with their service and atitude.

I was not pestered with timeshare or sombody trying to sell me a apartment. All the sunbeads were free so were the towels as many as you wanted (as long as you returned them after use)

As a gym enthusiast, the gym was ok far better equipped then other hotels visited, however, it not as secluded as some may wish, other then that, no problem, I visit my gym 7 days a week in England but rearly can you sit on a sandy beach or swim in a clear warm blue sea under blazing sunshine, so you take your choice.

Yes there were kids and the adults only section was not adhered to by the parents, however, the beach elevator was working and the miles of golden sand sparsly populated, this coupled by the magnificent back drop of the cliffs encouraged parents to take their children to the beach which took the strain off the pools.

The hotel laid on a Buffet fit for a King on most nights and if you could eat through that, then , best of luck.

I agree the restaurants were a tad on the expensive side but no more then a good English resturant. The local restaurants were more in keeping with the expected 'holiday cost' and anyway, part of any holiday is to get out and enjoy the local food and atmosphere which we did on 4 evenings.

All in all, I felt the Hotel and Staff were actually going out of their way to create a 5 star feeling which we feel they achieved in all area's.

Would we go back again?, always difficult to answer, as I feel the hotel will be hard pushed to replicate the standards we enjoyed, then i would be very dissapointed.

Sorry to read about the other experiences, however, having stayed at many 5 Star hotels before (thats not meant to read how it sounds) We cannot really say a bad word other then
I seems we were lucky and our holiday was just perfect with the right balance of everything you would expect.

We are always of the opionion that a holiday is what you make of it, therefore how could we be dissapointed.

Stayed July 2007
6 Thank Nick89
Stockport, Cheshire
Reviewed 25 June 2007

Just returned from an 8 night stay in the Sheraton. Had read the reviews and generally agree with most of the comments.

Though I admit it is pretty subjective thing and people look for different qualities when selecting a holiday........all we (my husband and I) were really hoping for, was a relaxing break with lots of peace and quiet. Unfortunately, everywhere you turn, there are babies and kids and noise. It is certainly far from peaceful. If you stay around the pool areas, there is a constancy of screaming, shouting and jumping in the poole....No peace and quiet.

As far as the food was concerned......it was pretty disappointing.
The breakfast choice was not brilliant and the cereals and bread
were stale and there was only one choice of juice - orange....- no smoothies or anything a bit special.

The food was highly overpriced in the restaurants and not of a very good standard. I really don't mind paying alot if you get good quality but in fact, one meal we had in the "Corda cafe" was dreadful...food was not even cooked properly and was inedible - yet still cost 70 euros. Was definitely not impressed and would suggest that people generally don't eat at the Sheraton restaurants but choose to go out to other local restaurants or slightly further afield (i.e. Val de Lobo, Vilamoura).

The biggest disappointment for me was the gym. I had been told such good things about it. I am the sad type who does like to take time out on holiday to go for a run and wind down in the gym. It was seriously like a sauna...so hot. - No air conditioning
and a major thoroughfare for kids coming in and out of the indoor pool. - Nightmare! You certainly can't chill out in that environment. - 5 star leisure facilities in this respect it does NOT have! Clearly, the leisure budget had been blown on the golf course and driving range (which were good if you are into golf I suppose)!

You can certainly get better quality at other hotels elsewhere and for a far better price! Would not return to this Sheraton.

• Liked — The golfing facilities were good
  • Disliked — The expensive food and drinks
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled as a couple
7 Thank JacquiStockport
london
Reviewed 17 June 2007

Just spent a week at the Sheraton and overall a very good experience. The resort is very well maintained, plenty of entertainment for our toddler and the room (a golf villa) was spotless and had an excellent daily maid service. Highly recommend it for a family holiday. Reasonably priced once inside

The few points of improvement would be:

More traffic calming. This is a big resort with quite a lot of traffic at times that on occassion was going too fast. Really only a big deal if you leave the resort on foot to go to the supermarket
A few more high chairs - they were in very high demand
Baby purees at breakfast - there is enough demand
A few more staff at peak diner times - ie 6 o'clock for us!
The cot we had in room was not great. Easy to fix so not sure why places like this skimp on such items.

• Stayed June 2007, travelled with family
3 Thank blackheathfamily
London
Reviewed 8 June 2007

My parents are mebers of the vacation club at The Sheraton Algarve and I have been visiting every year since 2001. I concur with most of the comments on this site regarding the price and standard of the hotel food. When we stay we have a car and visit other restaurants in the local area (Restaurant Van gogh is excellent) but even if you don't have a car the restaurants just outside the hotel are very good indeed.

Stayed September 2006
4 Thank JamesFagan
Borgloon, Belgium
Reviewed 15 May 2007

This is the most astonishing resort I ever stayed in Europe. Beautiful architecture respecting the fabulous natural setting. Very well equipped rooms, good restaurants and fantastic service. Pools ok. Very quit although rather great hotel.

• Liked — landscape architecture
  • Disliked — greater surroundings are to heavy build
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank tripperBelgium
Evergreen, Colorado
Reviewed 6 May 2007

We have traveled to many hotels, and often with our two year old daughter, and this was one of the most delightful experiences we've had. Wonderful food, beautiful surroundings, EXCELLENT children's facilities and some of the most friendly staff we've encountered anywhere. It was one of those vacations where you truly wanted to figure out a way to stay "just one more day"!

• Stayed April 2007, travelled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Albufeira
Pine Cliffs Residence, a Luxury Collection Resort
Salgados Dunas Suites
Salgados Dunas Suites
#20 of 154 in Albufeira
Vila Vita Parc Resort & Spa

Been to Pine Cliffs Hotel, a Luxury Collection Resort? Share your experiences!