“Mixed reviews reflect our experience.”
Review of Mi Sombrero

Mi Sombrero
Ranked #69 of 863 Restaurants in Albufeira
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 12 September 2013

Well, the critics are certainly divided over this one... Even within our group!

My wife and I shared a plate of nachos as a starter, bog standard stuff, bit of salsa, jalapenos, cheese melted on top - at about €9 way overpriced for a plate of crisps and a bit of dollop, although I do appreciate you are paying for the terrific view if you are outside or upstairs. Unfortunately the sloped decking outside and the spiral stair case inside prevented my disabled friend from being able to take advantage of that, so we sat inside. This did have the advantage that we were not rushed out, as seems to have been the experience of others writing on here.

My veggie friends, who recommended the place from a previous visit, once again thoroughly enjoyed their vegetarian fajitas, and Mi Sombrero is to be applauded for offering non-meat eaters a couple of choices beyond salad and omelette (other Albufeira restaurants, please take note!). My wife had ribs, which were falling off the bone and in a decent enough sauce - had better, cheaper nearby - one friend had steak on a stone, which was a decent cut and a great novelty for a first time tourist, expensive for something the chef does not have to touch though (that's a little joke by the way, lest anyone should think I am being serious...).

Now to my main course, and the main reason for the two star rating. Chicken fajita. The chicken was, for want of a better word, watery? Sloppy with no discernible flavour at all, any heat was provided by a couple of whole jalapenos randomly flung in, which on their own were far too hot for my wussy palate. There was no kind of sauce on the chicken at all, it might as well have been a chicken sandwich. The rice was, once again, okay - no flavouring or even colour to it, just rice. The re-fried beans were more like thick gravy than the mushy pea like texture I would expect from re-frieds in a decent restaurant.

Service was good and attentive, wine a little expensive and the décor what you would expect. I think the toilets were up the spiral staircase, so my friend would have found it impossible to use them, but the public loos are only a short walk away, so that is not the end of the world.

This place badly needs some competition.

2  Thank Algarveaddick

Reviewed 11 September 2013

After hearing a few recommendations whilst on holiday and seeing a queue every time we passed this restaurant (plus the fact there is not many Mexican restaurants around this area) me an my partner gave it a go. We waiting around 10 mins in the queue.

Nachos to start were ok, what you would normally expect from any place so a little disappointed it didn't have something extra or something like a good salsa as could get similar nachos anywhere in most pubs.
Had enchiladas for main which was nice and a decent portion but didn't blow me away, I usually prefer a burrito which is not too much different and I get alot better at my local street markets. Partner had veg fajitas which was enjoyed, again nothing amazing.

Certainly not bad food and reasonably priced for that part of town, however i don't know what the fuss is about with some of the other reviewers on here but its personal taste.

I didn't feel rushed to leave like others although I was there quite late and no queue was there by the time we finished.

All in all an acceptable meal in a nice location.

Reviewed 9 September 2013

Be prepared for a bit of a wait but worth it when you try the food. Don't bother with the nachos, they are a little dry but the mains are really good and portions are very big. Great margaritas too!

Reviewed 7 September 2013

My 9 yr old daughter and I holidayed in albufeira july 2013 and visited mi sombrero for a meal one evening , there was a queue yes but we were told 10 min wait and in roughly 10 mins we were shown to our table , we ordered nachos and garlic bread starters ... very good indeed and for mains chicken fajitas and hot dog ...fantastic !!!!! So good we visited again with friends and then we all raved about it , 5***** honestly couldn't say enough about it and just dont know how anyone cannot compliment this place ..... Roll on sept 28th il be back !!!!!!

Reviewed 30 August 2013

Nacho starter very average. Had tacos for main meal which tasted like an old El Paso kit. Fajitas were average. Chilli was a hot cheesey beany mess. Avoid.