“The best piri piri chicken I've ever tasted.”
Review of O Jorge

O Jorge
Ranked #148 of 855 Restaurants in Albufeira
Cuisines: Portuguese
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: This portuguese snack bar/restaurant is behind the Pingo Doce supermarket at the watches roundabout. It is great value for money and the food is lovely. If I want chicken piri piri this is where I go. The pork ribs are lovely as well. The house wine is very good and the staff are fabulous. It gets very busy at lunchtime with the locals eating here which speaks volumes to me. If the locals eat here it must be good. A group of visited last night and the manager sent over a bottle of bubbly as it was my wedding anniversary. I would recommend this place to everyone who likes traditional Portuguese food.
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Don't be put off by the location of O Jorge. The food served is AMAZING. William, our waiter on both evenings that we ate there was lovely, and clearly takes great pride in O Jorge. We were staying 10miles from Albufeira and got a taxi into the town on two separate nights just to dine at O Jorge. Definitely worth the taxi fare!

The piri-piri chicken is to die for!

2  Thank NultyA

Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

I visited this restaurant on a recent trip to Albufeira with my friend who came to O Jorge in May with her husband. I wasn't disappointed. My friend kept saying to me, don't be put off by the location, on the top of Pingo Doce at the watches roundabout or it's appearance. I've been to Albufeira on numerous occasions, but this hidden gem has passed me by. Once inside, it's classic old style Portuguese, with friendly efficient staff. We had couverts to start. My friend had black pork, and when it came, it was huge and I had chicken piri piri. This was delicious, and not too hot for my taste. I assume you could ask for it spicier, if you prefer. We also ordered a mixed salad for two. To drink, we had 2 large beers in the hugest tankard glasses I've ever seen. Everything was lovely, the service was perfect and we weren't rushed at all. We had two further beers, coffees and complimentary shots of port which finished the meal off nicely. It was a shame we were only there for a week as I'd love to have eaten there again. If you're in two minds about going in, you won't regret having a lovely relaxed meal in O Jorge.

3  Thank manicManc
Reviewed 15 June 2014

I first visited O Jorge in April this year after seeing the good reviews on here. I was lucky to be able to re-visit Albufeira in early June and O Jorge was a must on my restaurant list. The food was as good as I remembered the first time. There are usually several Portuguese eating in the restaurant, which speaks volumes. The staff are very friendly and welcoming and can't do enough for you.

We were served couvert as a starter (olives, bread, butter and cheese) and I had the black pork and my friend had the piri piri chicken for the main course. The meal was accompanied with home made fresh cooked chips and salad. The food is served piping hot and there is plenty of it.

A large beer, and it is LARGE, well over the 500ml fill line, costs 1.80 euros, and we joked that you need a block and tackle to lift the glass! The chicken is around 6 euros as was the pork.

My friend ordered a coffee and we were given a complimentary glass of mint liqueur. The meal cost around 23 euros IIRC.

If you are staying in the area around the "watches" roundabout, I urge you to give this place a try as you won't be disappointed. It is a little hard to find, it's located over the Pingo Doce supermarket and you have to go up the steps to the left hand side, it's facing the beach volleyball court (bonus entertainment for the ladies ;-) )

2  Thank tharweb
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Great restaurant with very friendly staff. Got 2 chicken piri piris, 2 cokes and 2 waters and all came to about €17. The chicken was spicy but not overly. Left feeling stuffed for a fraction of what you pay on the strip for other lower quality food. Would definitely return.

2  Thank Brendan1954
Reviewed 10 June 2014

We visited having read positive reviews on Trip Advisor and are glad we did and as others have said do not be put off by first impressions. We arrived by taxi to what is really the rear of the restaurant which is located in shopping centre and did think should we go in, but once you are in you are met by very friendly staff who take you through to the dining area. It is quite rustic and has a welcoming feel about the place. There were various nationalities in the restaurant and some locals. All our food was excellent the Black Pig or Black Pork in particular and the portion sizes were pretty generous. Our waiter was very happy to chat making recommendations on food and drink. We had mains and desert and after our meal the waiter brought out glasses of port for us all. We stayed a little longer and had further drinks as we were made most welcome. The best bit was the bill, just under €100 for seven people including two one litre carafes of wine several beers and some soft drinks. This was the best meal of our holiday and the cheapest so if we return to Albufeira we will definitely be back to O Jorge.