“"Excellent place for a holiday"”

Albufeira Jardim - Apartamentos Turisticos
Ranked #101 of 122 Speciality Lodging in Albufeira
Beverley, United Kingdom
“"Excellent place for a holiday"”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2013

We never been to Portugal and this is the first time we visit Albufeira Jardim and we really like this place,nice apartment,nice food and friendly staff. I will definitely come back again to this beautiful resort and recommend my friend to visit Albufeira in Portugal.

Room Tip: "Rooms on the south side are quieter"
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Robert H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
  • Polish first
Southampton, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2013

What can I say except this is the worst hotel/apartment experience I have ever had. It was a last minute booking, we just wanted a simple, all inclusive weeks break. We arrived 9pm, walked into the apartment and the smell hit us, old, damp and musty!! We were tired so went straight to bed. In the morning, we realised that the apartment was very old and very badly needed attention, but we decided it wasn't the end of the world as we didn't intend to spend much time there.
We showered and decided to have breakfast, then get our bearings. The first shock!! Breakfast was like walking into the worst self service cafe on earth. The choice was (and it didn't ever change) cheese, cold meat (one meat only), croissant, toast, roll, scrambled egg, greasy overcooked bacon, tomato, beans and an inedible pancake. All drinks came from machines, the orange juice was watered down to the point it had no taste. We were starving so ate what we could, sitting on tatty chairs at a tatty table listening to two women have a row!!
Things just continued to get worse, lunch and dinner were disgusting, I actually spat my first mouthful into a napkin. We didn't eat at the hotel again, preferring to eat at restaurants in the town. We had to buy air fresheners and insect killer to make the apartment bearable to sleep in. The bar was so small, 10 people would have filled it, there was no entertainment apart from a barbecue which they expected you to pay 20 euros for.
We were left one day without bath towels and when we asked for some we told to go and wait in our room like naughty children. We waited nearly 2 hours and still didn't have any towels so had to shower and dry ourselves using hand towels.
The pool area was not large enough so unless you got there before 7, you had no chance.
The staff weren't rude, but they were very unhelpful, miserable and curt.
The final straw was when we found small mites crawling on our clothes when we took them out of the wardrobe.
This was in no way an all inclusive holiday for us as we could not eat, drink or even sunbathe on site.
To be honest, if the town and the beach had not been so wonderful, we would have flown home after the first day.
So, if you like crap food, watered down drinks and have a Jeremy Kyle mentality, then this is the holiday for you. Otherwise, avoid this place like the plague.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Theresa D

Travellers are raving about these Albufeira hotels

Wales
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2013

We stayed at The Jardim during October half term with another couple so my friend could 'swim with the dolphins' at the nearby Zoomarine facility. We had a wonderful time - Old town Albufeira is a pretty, quaint place with a great beach (though not for swimming as the seas were too rough for us), lots of shops, restaurants and bars.

While we were there we went on the local sightseeing bus tour (with audio guide), which we enjoyed as we saw the whole area in comfort for just a few euros, a trip to Zoomarine, which was excellent in so many ways, but especially the dolphin and sea lion shows, and a day trip to Lisbon, which was fantastic, especially the Bairro Alto area (best coach I'd ever been on and Lisbon was a treat).

Now to the review of The Jardim itself. OK, I agree that the complex is a bit basic and in need of a coat of paint, the apartments are dated (70's decor and style) though very spacious and a lot of the complex is on quite a steep hill - not great if you're put at the top and have mobility issues as I have - because of my mobility issues, we asked for, and got, apartments in one of the lower blocks (Block B) so I just took my time with the stairs and inclines and cobbles and didn't have a problem (I did know when I booked that Albufeira is a hilly place so I was forewarned).

But, and this is a very big BUT, it is friendly, very clean, well placed for the old town and the all inclusive bit is wonderful. The food was varied, fresh and in plentiful supply, the drinks were either on tap or you could get whatever else you liked at the bar. There was food and drink on offer virtually all day long. We only ate out once and that was to celebrate our friend's birthday.

The pools were cleaned every day and though a bit bracing, we swam most days, and we are in our 60's. The serving staff were friendly and helpful and a team of ladies came to clean our apartment every day (except Sunday) and left fresh towels. There was evening entertainment on a couple of nights (one particularly good singer, Paulo, who we all thought was great deserves a special mention) and this was the right at the end of the season. Most people we spoke to were happy with what the hotel had to offer and were having a good time. There were quite a few of us golden oldies who weren't so fussed on everything being bang up to date and felt that you'd definitely got more than enough for what you'd paid. One or two others, I think, were disappointed it wasn't more modern and lively but you could go into the town or over to the strip if you wanted more modern surroundings and/or night life.

As another poster commented, there were a few cats around, but they really weren't a nuisance; we thought they were rather sweet and added to the casual feel of the place, but we like cats!

All this, including our flights and all transfers, and for a very reasonable £400 per person. We thought that it was excellent value for money and I would definitely recommend it to my friends and family. It's not a 5 star place but it's not charging 5 star prices either. If you're looking for a cheap all inclusive short break to a lovely country and you're not expecting a 4 or 5 star palace, then you won't go far wrong with the Albufeira Jardim.

Room Tip: Lower blocks (B and C) are better for people with walking difficulties.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Cymru-Bagpuss
Leeds, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2013

If youre not feline friendly this hotel is not for you, due to the uncomfortable amounts of stray scavenging cats.

However...if you like consistency, the food is consistently poor. It never fails to disappoint. Every meal was cold, dry and on occassion with hair- explaination from management the chefs were all bald so it couldnt be from them, which could only leave the problematic cats!

A very very small silver lining, the rooms were clean although dated. Its a cheap hotel, take it for what it is and embrace fawlty towers!

• Stayed October 2013
2 Thank newgirljo
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2013 via mobile

Well, just take a look at my photos.
I am still pissed with this holiday.
I was taking my wife for our 25 year silver wedding anniversary.
The hotel is understaffed , they walk away from the bar when they maa have a Que. there is no fly cachers, so when you are eating , flys are trying your dinner too.
I upgraded my room to have a garden view,
I was on the second floor with a view off trees,
Rubbish holiday, wife hated it, it was the worst holiday ever,
There was spider webs in the room,
Dirt everywere, took a lot off photos,
I have been on many holidays but never one as dirty as this one and no help from the staff. Uf you complained they seemed to love it more.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jazzy B
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2013

Im here and arrived thurs for 7 nights. My rm as requested low floor in block a as asked also requested extra pillows we got no grumbles. Most staff try there best to assist. My room is dated but adequate n clean bedding changed twice already and towels provided also as toilet rolls often and bins emptied in rooms. No problems,yes bed is a little hard and is two single sofa type made into double but I can cope. Food and drink constant and staff will help to provide you and meet your requests if asked. Entertainment so far been on most nights and fair. Pool cleaned ive seen twice not perfect but seems ok. Hills not too bad neither im getting used to them paths a little cobbled so best to walk in doubt on road. Not far from bars and restaurants to walk. Beach also not too far furthur. Based on the experience so far for what I paid for the hotel alone around £22 a day for rm food and drink I think its a good deal and certain things can be better but material wise people moan and exagerate alot and these apartments deserve more praise. Id deffo return n I am a awkward fussy person with high standards but im realistic and positive and feel alot of critisism is unfair so dont go off all the negatives these cant be trusted and we all have our own minds to make a opinion.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Kirstymallinson
Shepton Mallet, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2013

Stayed AI between 16th and 24th October. Having been here I'm fed up of people over exaggerating the bad points, so here's my review.

Cost: Myself, my wife, daughter and her boyfriend paid around £300 each for eight nights AI through On The Beach. Excellent value.

Reception: Staff friendly and helpful at all times. Be polite to people and you'll get the same back.

1 bed apartment: Huge. Yes they're dated. Louvre doors painted brown on all cupboards. But EVERYTHING WORKED. Heaters, phone, lights, sockets, everything. Balcony doors lock by turning the handle. Shower was superb. Beds hard but comfortable. Towels changed as often as you wanted them changed. Kept spotless by the cleaners which is as much as I ask. I'm sleeping there, that's all.

Hotel: Yes, it's on a hill and yes, it's steep. You should know this before you even book. Walk into town and get a taxi back up. Easy. Whole area was kept extremely clean and tidy.

Food: Without doubt the best AI food I've ever had. Usual breakfast (Continental and English). Lunch and dinner consisted over the eight nights of veal, chicken fillets, pork and lamb chops, lasagne, bolognese, goulash, tuna, cod, swordfish, stew plus the normal pasta and various sauces (and that's only what I can remember). Desserts the normal cakes, fruit and ice cream etc. Hot food kept hot, cold food kept chilled. Spot on. Self service beer, sangria, red/white wine, proper pepsi and the usual juices/coffee's during restaurant opening times.

Bar: Service very good but sometimes a slight wait due to staff doing more than one job. Cant comment on the spirits but my daughter had no complaints and the beer was as good as you'd get anywhere.

Pool area: Water cold but you soon get used to it. Cleaned every day. Bar not open but then it is out of season. Plenty of sun beds but this would be different in peak season. Views over Albufeira wonderful.

Entertainment: To be honest, karaoke twice a week and a singer/musician twice a week. Can't comment as didn't see any of it.

Albufeira: Lovely town, beautiful beach, wonderful, friendly people. Will definitely return.

Overall: Would have easily been 5/5 if only for small niggles such as a loose cupboard door and the odd bulb not working. Things like this don't bother me but obviously some people think the kitchens unsafe or the place is going to burn down because there's a light not working. Sleep in your room, ignore any minor problems and enjoy the rest of what the Jardim has to offer.

Room Tip: We were in apt's 200 and 201 in B3. Reasonable view and lovely and quiet.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family