“stomach bug”

Ranked #71 of 154 Hotels in Albufeira
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“stomach bug”
Reviewed 11 November 2013

stayed here for the second time from 29th October to 5th November the hotel was fully booked so was very busy. Like a lot of other Guests I came down with vomiting and diarrhoea on the third day. My husband reported to reception but they said there was not a problem. Nearly all the people at some point were coming down with it.The restaurant manager was very helpful and did show some concern.2 days staying in our room and I felt better although I was careful what I ate and drank. Maybe the hotel should try and confine the bug or try and find the cause.The hotel is dated but the rooms are clean the staff all work very hard .you can always find something to eat and the drinks are good quality .the setting is second to none if you are lucky enough to have a sea view you can easily get to the beach and visiting the strip is close by.I would of returned to this hotel because it does offer good value for money but sadly the dreaded bug has put me off.

Room Tip: we requested high floor sea view but were given the opposite moved rooms on 3rd day to block D on 3r...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (783)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Reviewed 9 November 2013

Stayed here from 28th oct to 4th nov location is very good did not find walk to beach that bad saw dolphins jumping in the sea . Did not notice bad smell in reception however our room stunk cleaners left a can of insect killer in the room room very dated and in need of updating . Have stayed in 3star all invlusive in other countries but this has to be the worst food prety bad left overs from day /night before was there for breakfast lunch dinner snaks were the leftovers to thats if there was any . I cant say i caught the d and v bug from hotel but 2 of our party of 4 became unwell i would return to the resort but never to the hotel i no you get what you pay for but its out of season and cost not much less than other places in season .
we could not coment on the pool as when we tried chilling out there was a lot of wasps good luck if you have booked a holiday in this hotel but saying that you might enjoy if you dont become ill. The old town is very nice 15 min walk down the lovley beach enjoy:)

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank dawnkitch
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 November 2013

Went on holiday from 27/10/2013 - 03/11/2013. Had seen reports about the bug before we went so took antibacterial wipes and we were always using the hand sanitizers around the hotel and washing our hands. We ate in the hotel the first two days and then on the third day my husband had terrible gripping pains and started with the diarrhea. Next morning I started vomiting , a doctor was called gave me an injection for the sickness and 4 lots of tables for my husband and myself, later I nearly fainted then the diarrhea started. The doctors and prescription bill came to 173 euros. The hotel paid the bill have NEVER heard of this before so they must be admitting there is serious problem at the Auramar. We later heard of loads of people who had also been ill with it. This hotel needs closing and a good deep clean and refurbishment. The food well!!! not a lot we can say about it just cold and horrible. Our bedroom was also dirty our rep had a right good old time taking samples of dust and dirt from it. The thing is this hotel stands in the most amazing spot and has beautiful gardens around it. It could be made fabulous. We are not snobs and have stayed in 2* A/I, 3* and 4* h/b accommodation over the last 30 years. The thing we do expect is clean rooms and food that we can eat and not to be ill. We loved the Algarve and shall certainly be back. NOT TO THE AURAMAR BEACH HOTEL.

1 Thank Christine H H

Travellers are raving about these Albufeira hotels

London
Reviewed 8 November 2013

I went and booked this hotel 3 weeks ago with my boyfriend. I read the reviews AFTER booking the holiday and I dreaded going as people were claiming they had the dreadful S+D bug.

I thought well too late it's already been paid for. So me and the boyfriend arrived 02-11-13 and I thought it looked okay. waited an hour for the room to be ready as we got to the hotel at 13:00pm and you cannot check in till 14:00pm.

Anyway, the hour past and we got to our room and it was one of the most breath taking rooms ever. (B102) Although room was dated but who goes on holiday to stay in the hotel room most of the time? If you're one of these snobby types then I wouldn't recommend this hotel.(I've stayed in 4 + 5 star hotels with the parents when I were younger so I do know a difference) But I just guess I'm easily pleased.

Now for the food. Yes It's repetitive but I'm an fussy eater which is my fault and not theirs. My boyfriend isn't a fussy eater and he thoroughly enjoyed his meals each time.

As for the S+D bug, how the hell can you pin point it's actually the hotel's fault? I saw another guest coughing all over the food one morning, so obviously people spreading germs around! There's plenty of sanitary cleaner for your hands. So use your common sense and use it before and after your meals.

Swimming Pool was lovely and quite spacious, although pretty damn cold! Not the hotel's fault because I decided to go at a colder month than normal.(May-Aug) There is a heated indoor pool if anyone wishes to use it.

Yes there's flies and wasps about, but the wasps were actually harmless! If they land near you, just ignore them and they'll leave you alone. Much friendlier than the British wasps lulz.

The "dreadful" smell in the reception area? Ah yeah that's called DISINFECTING SPRAY, you know...to make the place clean and hygienic?

All in all, not too bad of a hotel, you get what you pay for. People complain just for the hell of it.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank ArsenalAngel
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 November 2013

We originally book to stay at this hotel from the 31st Nov – 7th Dec, but having read some appalling reviews we decided to change hotels last minute and booked the Vila Gale, which is located in the same area, about 7 min drive away.
We spoke with our Jet2 rep at our hotel regarding our concerns at the Auramar, she did confirm that there had been a problem back in May 2013 when the hotel was struck with the Norovirus, and was shut down for 2 week for a deep clean, however since then Jet2 have confirmed they have pulled out of there on three separate ocassions, which leads me to believe there is still an ongoing problem, Jet2 will have you believe they haven’t had a single complaint this year about the Auramar, well they would say that, wouldn’t they ???

We decided to book a taxi and go to the Auramar to see what all the fuss was about. First impression upon arrival was the obvious sewer smell in the main reception area. We had a walk round the grounds and down to the main pool, and were pleasantly surprised at the lovely views from the pool area. From there we went into the buffet area which was lovely and clean and being prepared for lunch. We then approached reception and asked to be shown a room, which was a little outdated, not spotlessly clean, and was well overdue a modern makeover. A sandwich gift bag had been left in the room for a guest, who should have checked in late the previous night, obviously didn’t think it would have been better in the fridge!

In summary, a quite dated hotel in need of a makeover to bring it up to scratch, a decent pool with outstanding views, but not very much in the way of local amenities. I’m glad we took the time to visit this hotel, because this is somewhere I will not be booking to stay in the future.

Room Tip: If I were going to stay here, I’d request a front pool view overlooking the sea, trust me it would b...
1 Thank Paul S
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 November 2013 via mobile

We just returned from a week all inc at this hotel. I really don't know how people can moan But some will always just sit in their room and find fault! The staff work very long hours but still are polite and efficient. The food was ok, breakfast was great loads of choice, lunch was average but then we were out most days but what we did have was nice enough. Dinner was fine too. The location is great an easy walk to the old town and new town. The room was just what I expected from a 3* abroad, cleaned everyday, yes could do with a lick of paint but again nothing to complain about. The drinks are served in plastic cups but all you have to do is ask for a glass (in the evening bar) and they will happily give you one. The evening entertainment was good albeit the typical parrot shows, karaoke, and quiz (which we won!!) then the lovely Douglas! Yes it's a bit cheesy but how many complainers can play the keyboard and sing well in 2 languages!! This place really is what u make of it, sit there moaning and picking at every detail and you won't enjoy it.. Relax, have fun and enjoy having to do nothing for yourself and this can b a fab holiday. We certainly thought so. If u want British food, British drinks, people constantly speaking fluent English then stay at home!! I really don't understand the moaners on here. There were 4 of us and noone was ill, perhaps that's because we wash our hands after the loo! Unlike alot of folks I saw who then go and touch everything in the dining room. We had a great holiday and for what we paid I think we had more than our share of food, service and booze and coffee (really nice). Happy holidays guys

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank lnixon04
Conwy, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 November 2013

A group of 4 of us stayed at this hotel for 4 nights from the 2nd til the 6th of November!I am so glad it wasn't any longer!I had read the reviews before going and tried to change the hotel but the company we booked with said it was too late!We were all dreading catching the illness that was going round,on arrival we spoke to many guests who had been ill,we used hand sanitisers that we brought with us all the time!
We paid 10 euros for the key on arrival which is refundable when you give the key back!The reception smelt awful like a wet dog!We were given our room which was block d 219,it was so dated it was unbeleivable,im no snob but i expect better than this,the tiles in the bathroom were cracked,the floor was filthy,the balcony was so dirty if you could call it a balcony!
The food was awful ,,we basically lived off chips,cheese,ham and bread for the 4 days.We tried the burgers at lunch time which were ok,but when we seen them there every lunch time we thought they has been re heated,there were flies landing on the food ,disgusting!!
The pool area and the hotel grounds were lovely kept clean in my opinion!We were disappointed with the limited drinks available on the allinclusive,every 1 ive been to over the years done local malibu and peach schnapps,but not here!I WOULD NOT RETURN TO THIS HOTEL!!!!!On return to the uk 1 of us has been violently sick all day and had diarrohea !I would advise everybody to stay away from this hotel,don't waste you're money pay a little extra to stay somewhere better!!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family