“Pre Christmas break”

Auramar Beach Resort
Ranked #72 of 154 Hotels in Albufeira
Reviewed 4 December 2013

We have just returned from auramar beach resort after a 3 night pre Christmas break with a group of friends. The hotel was fantastic, for the price we paid, granted the surroundings were a bit tired looking , but everything was clean and the staff were very friendly and helpful.

Given the recent bad press they had received about the Niro virus outbreak I was encouraged to see plenty of hand sanitiser sprays located at the toilets swimming pool and restaurants , even saw cleaners going around spraying all handles and light switches with sanitiser spray.

Overall it was a great weekend in a beautiful part of the world.

See you again next year for sure!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
7  Thank Jim S
Write a ReviewReviews (3,038)

Reviewed 4 December 2013

Just back from a weeks break at the Auramar and I have nothing but praise for this resort.

My partner and I travelled with a group of friends. After reading some of the reviews and as we booked all-inclusive we were concerned about this resort but truly I could not see how people could find fault here?

As we arrived on my birthday my partner hinted this to the receptionist and could we please have a room with a view, when we got to our room we found it clean, bright and airy with a spotless bathroom fresh bed linen and towels, rooms our cleaned every day and fresh towels are given. Yes the décor was a bit dated but my main priority was that IT WAS CLEAN! Our room was on the top floor with a great view of the beach, ocean and old town (thank you)
Later that evening there was a bottle of sparkling wine left in the room to help celebrate my birthday (thanks again.)

The public areas, poolside, restaurants and bars where all clean and tidy we didn't find it to be "run-down" at all and come on its not the Burj al Arab it was more than good for what it was!

I found all staff friendly, helpful and many went out of their way to make our stay a good one especially a short dark haired waitress who was just exceptional.
The choice of food was really good and the options for lunch and dinner never repeated during the times we dined at the resort which was the majority of the week as the food was yummy.

Me and most of the people I travelled with are from a hospitality/catering background and we all know and recognise a good thing when we see it but we are more than aware that there is some miserable moaning people who are never happy and will complain no matte what but our stay was excellent and would recommend the Auramar and would differently return.

There were 7 of us and not one of us fell ill nor anyone we meet during the stay.

Room Tip: All rooms I think has a pool/seaview but the higher floors have better views
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
5  Thank gcreighton
Reviewed 2 December 2013 via mobile

Had a week break booked at last minute. Firstly to put things in perspective when flights , transfers , cases were stripped out we paid £23 a night all inclusive. This makes it a budget hotel not 5 star! Hotel is in a fantastic location . Despite some comments reception was clean and and smells of Zoflora disenfectant . Rooms dated but cleaned daily, towels changed daily as well. BEWARE there is lots of steps so not for the less mobile. You will not go hungry or thirsty . However food is served buffet style not a problem with that but it needs to be hot. There was issues with that and sticking a microwave at the end does not solve the issue. Most of the time it was acceptable , but when you have a manager go behind the counter with no protective clothing or uniform and use his hands to try a couple of chips you have to question how serious they are solving issues some people have raised ! Out of our party of 4 , three came down with some sort of stomach upset which was quickly resolved with a trip to the chemist ! However one maybe due to much drinkies, but the others well..... we have travelled widely and not had an issue.Talking to others we were probably unlucky. Lastly people have raised issue of wasps, seagulls by the pool area, i was disgusted how people left food/ drink in the open when bins are placed every few metres and emptied reguarly. People need to take some responsability! Finally we would not rule out going back but you do get what you pay for!

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
11  Thank Stephen A
Reviewed 30 November 2013 via mobile

This hotel is very dated that the retro look is coming back in dont think its been decorated since the 70's. Stayed here from 23 November to 30 November. Room ok but not cleaned!!!! Never got sickness bug but was very careful of what we ate!!! Food was not good!!!! Noticed in the resturant that table clothes are not changed from breakfast just wiped off with a napkin!!!!! So much for infection control!!!!!! . Deffo will never be back.

• Stayed: November 2013
2  Thank bedybaws
Reviewed 28 November 2013

We booked this one weeks holiday as it was extremely reasonably priced and for what we paid it was very good value for money. The hotel was very clean with friendly, helpful staff. The bedroom pleasant and of a decent size. Again this was kept very clean although it and the bathroom are looking a bit 'tired' The reason we have given it only a score of three is because of the food. Not that it was bad it wasn't but it was so so boring. What there was was well cooked and well presented it just uninteresting. We would certainly go back to this hotel again because of its location but at best. bed and breakfast or preferably room only.

2  Thank lbould
Reviewed 27 November 2013

Just returned from 4 nights at Auramar and I can honestly say its a nice place . Having read the reviews before we went I was dreading it . Room was nice views were fantastic food was very nice lots of variety and very we'll cooked . I can only assume they have made some improvements as I didn't feel like I was in the same hotel as I had previously read about.

Room Tip: Block d top floor
Reviewed 27 November 2013

Stayed her from 16th until 24th of Nov. If I could of cut the holiday short I would have.
First impressions were great...nice hotel, great location, however things soon turned, noticed on our first day that they were lot of flys in the lunch area, along with wasps and seagulls seemed to be guests. The room was cleaned once whilst we were there, the beds were never made, all we got was new towels when we didn't hang them back up.
The food on an evening was basic, very little choice and you would often find empty food trays and it is while before they are filled, as well as waiting ages to get a drink as there is no self serve.

On our 3rd night my girlfriend was suddenly sick in the hotel, I informed the waiter who rang through for cleaners, but 10-15 mins had gone by and still no cleaner. That same night I myself came down with V&D, was room bound for 2 days. We asked for clean towels and toilet rolls, and after asking twice 6 hours later we received them.

After asking around we found out a lot of people in the hotel had the same sickness as ourselves, Clearly something isn't right. Was glad when our last day came and we could leave.

Overall, what seemed was going to be a great holiday turned into a nightmare. A nice hotel in a great location but bad service, a dirty hotel and terrible entertainment spoilt it. Will never return.

1  Thank collins-1988