“Good holiday overall”

Auramar Beach Resort
Ranked #73 of 154 Hotels in Albufeira
Reviewed 5 January 2014 via mobile

Arrived at the hotel after being the last ones dropped off. We actually passed out hotel twice. We arrived about 9:25pm, didnt take long to check in. I asked about getting some dinner and waa told this had just closed, but we could get burgers and chips from 10-11. So went to our room. This was dated but clean. There was a lack of lights in the main room. Lovely view of the ocean. Overall though it was ok.
Then a sandwich and drink was brought up to the room which was a nice surprise.
We went to get the burgers etc that the reception told us about, but there were no snacks! As we
Had a sandwich we didnt bother asking again.
There was WIFI in the lobby/reception which was good. There was a lobby bar but not
Open, this was a pain as it was a long walk to the bar or pool bar. I heard someone complaining and hey were told it was too noisy to open!
There were a lot of steps at this hotel which was ok for us but i wouldnt suggest going to this hotel if you have difficulty walking.
The food was ok. Ive had better but also had worse. There was always something to eat. And local reataurants were not that expensive if you fancied a change.
Staff were friendly and helpful.
The entertainment was ok. Not always my cup of tea but ive been to other hotels with worse. At least they seemed to make an effort.
Its location is good, about a half hour walk along the beach and you are in the old town. And 10 minutes the other way your in the main strip. Not much open over xmas when we stayed.
Overall was a good hotel. I would maybe try another hotel but if the price was good i would go back again.

• Stayed: December 2013
6  Thank Emily R
There are newer reviews for Auramar Beach Resort

Reviewed 3 January 2014

My wife and I decided this year to have a 3 day break between Christmas and New Year. We had intended to have a break in either the Lake District or the Peak District (Glad we didn't when we saw the weather). But the prices were high. We decided to look abroad and my wife found the Auramar Beach Resort and booked it.

Our trip included flights from Manchester, transfers and hotel. All went well with travelling.
We arrived at the hotel and was booked in within 10 mins. Hotel lobby was pleasant with a lovely Christmas Nativity scene. Christmas lights adorned the front of the hotel.
We were shown to our room (214) in D block. It was an apartment room with cooking facilities, though we didn't use them as we were all-inclusive.
The apartment was very dated. Not attractive at all. Looked like 1970's fittings. Not what we expected. We went down to reception and politely asked if we could be moved. The receptionist, the one who had a smile deficiency, who I think was the boss told us we couldn't move as the hotel was full. This was blatantly untrue. As we were here to relax an unwind we didn't argue the point. I'm glad I didn't as the room wasn't as bad as it looked. It was a large room with a magnificent view of the ocean.
The bed was made on day 2 but no cleaning. Towels were not changed but strangely one bath towel disappeared.
The lighting was a bit dark and the TV was a 12" portable. We had to move it to the middle of the room to view it from the bed.There was BBC channel which switched between BBC 1, BBC 3 and BBC News. There was also CNN in English. I also watched a movie on a foreign channel. The sound was in English with Portuguese subtitles.
Restaurant was self service type but the food was limited but ok. We had to remind ourselves that we had paid really cheap for this holiday so we shouldn't expect top quality food. Restaurant staff were friendly and helpful. Drinks are served at your table. If you ask for wine you get a half-carafe. If you only want one glass of wine you have to make it clear. My wife asked for Sangria. This comes in a small jug. Breakfast finished at 10.00. If you miss breakfast you have to wait till the poolside bar starts serving food at 12:00. Access to it is via a number of steps although there is a slope for wheelchairs and those with walking difficulties.
Poolside bar is a typical cafe style with tables both inside and out. The view from there is fantastic.
The entertainment is in the Dancing Bar. On the first night the entertainment was a parrot show. The entertainer introduced the parrots and one danced to a song. They then took two parrots around to everyone in the room to have their photo taken with them. This is not entertainment. So after 40 minutes waiting for them to return to the stage we got up and walked into the town.
Reception area had a odour problem. It smelled a bit like a dirty mop. It is the only place with WiFi. There was a bar there but it was never open during our stay. I was using WiFi there and asked the receptionist, the one who was smile deficient, if there was coffee available. She said I could buy one out of the machine. I told her I was all-inclusive and her reply was I would have to walk down to the poolside bar if I wanted coffee.
Overall view. Location and view fantastic. Hotel good, but needs refurbishment. Well placed for local bars. Entertainment poor. Old Town gorgeous. Would I go back? At the price we paid, maybe. In a 4 or 5 star hotel nearby, definitely.
If you are used to 4 or 5 star hotels this will disappoint. For a good bargain break it's good value.

4  Thank Whelos
Reviewed 31 December 2013

Haven read some reviews I travelled to Portugal not knowing how my friends and I would find the resort. To my delight, the whole experience, location, food, weather, facilities, staff was well above the standard I was expecting given what the moaners on tripadvisor were writing, I can only guess that the average tripadvisor patron is a 1st class snob. My advice is "GO", fourteen 40 year olds from Derry can't be wrong.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
15  Thank Noka D
Reviewed 30 December 2013

Just as good, and just as friendly as before but with the added attraction of FREE WIFI!!!
Plus the great team in the dining room cooked me my own scrambled eggs without milk, (because of my lactose intolerance).
Again great value for money!

Room Tip: Most rooms overlook the sea so I am sure if you ask for one they will oblige if available.
6  Thank marjoriepeg
Reviewed 23 December 2013

We booked a cheap deal at the Auramar as I had previously used this hotel. Various reviews have been previously put up with negative comments, we did not find anything to complain about, the hotel is very clean, staff friendly, quality and variety of food on offer was very good, to me cleaned every day, fresh towels every day and bed linen changed at least once during the week. Furnishings maybe a bit dated in style but functional and good quality, and fairly new, although the colours a bit brash. As for people commenting on smells in the reception area we did not notice anything untoward. We paid£220 per person, including flights from Glasgow for a week all inclusive, and were not disappointed and would have no hesitation going back or recommending this hotel. On another note we hired a car booked through Economy Hire which was only £57 for a new style Fiat Pinto with aircon which was excellent value. All in all we had a great holiday!

11  Thank hurley27
Reviewed 17 December 2013

Stayed for a long weekend and realised straight away when we arrived it was a very basic 3* hotel (extremely dated and in need of complete modernisation). We had to ask to move rooms as we were not happy with the twin room. This was dealt with straight away and we were moved into a much better room. The facilities were ok with the usual pool, entertainment etc. My biggest problem had to be the food as it was really poor, especially at dinner. It all tasted awful and the best thing was the dessert - which wasn't great either. Portugal is nice and may go back but would rather pay extra and stay in better accommodation.

• Stayed: November 2013
2  Thank Jamting
Reviewed 16 December 2013

I stayed with a friend for a long weekend in December. We were extremely lucky with the weather - not a cloud in the sky on either Saturday or Sunday, and this really showed the hotel's grounds in the best possible way - very pretty gardens and with a stunning sea view from the pool terrace. We booked rooms with seaview and were allocated rooms 304 and 305 in block A (the main building). These rooms looked directly at block B (restaurant block) and would only be classed as seaview if you agree that a tiny amount of water showing above the roof is a view! After explaining the situation to the 2 receptionists on duty, quite strongly in the end, I was eventually offered rooms 424 and 425 again in block A. Although not an unobstructed seaview these rooms were higher up and did have a very nice view. Just to mention though, the attitude of the receptionists changed totally from check-in just minutes earlier when I requested the change.... The rooms were very spacious, with colour TV, telephone, fridge and AC/heating. All linen and towels were very clean on check-in, but despite towels being changed and beds made daily, the service did not appear to include any kind of cleaning - nothing was washed or wiped in the bathroom and the floor was not swept at all during our stay. It was very quiet at the hotel, meaning that the lobby bar was not in use. This would normally be open for all-inclusive guests from 1700-2300 hours daily. Breakfast and Dinner are served in the dining room which has beautiful sea views (a special mention here to waitress Franczeska (sorry if spelt wrong) - she is an absolute delight and a credit to the hotel. Unfailingly pleasant and helpful and she speaks so many languages! Pedro was also very friendly. A good selection of hot and cold food at each meal, but if the hotel was busy I would imagine quite extensive queues as the serveries are not extremely large. The quality of the food was very good, and it was nice to see a microwave for anyone who wanted their food a little warmer. Drinks are included with the meals, with the usual selection of beer, wine or soft drinks (but no hot drinks) with the evening meal. During the day, the Self Service restaurant is open between 1100 and 1700 hours for hot, soft and alcoholic drinks, along with snacks. A good selection again of cold and warm food, as well as salads, fruit and ice cream. As is so common these days the all-inclusive drinks are served in small, disposable plastic cups (including the coffee!) - it would have been so much more civilised to have been allowed to drink from real glass when in the 'Dancing Bar' - I can understand it around the pool, but surely we can be treated like adults when inside, as we were in the restaurant?? There is a very handy supermarket onsite which was open every day (including Sunday) which also had a good selection of souvenirs. There were steps all over the hotel, as it is built on the slope to a cliff - although there were ramps in most areas I would not recommend this hotel to anyone with walking difficulties. The hotel runs a free bus into Albufeira town 3 times a day which is very useful - it leaves at 1000, 1230 and 1600 returning from Albufeira 10 minutes later. If you want to use the bus, make sure that you are ready and waiting and early, as it left both the hotel and town a couple of minutes early on both occasions that we used it. The safe in the room costs €3 per day to rent - this would work out to be over £36 for a fortnight's holiday which to me seems a bit steep. You also only get 1 key tag per room (with a refundable €10 deposit) so take a key ring to keep it on - they don't have key cards like other hotels do. Overall this was an enjoyable short break - just make sure that they allocate you a seaview room if you book one.....

Room Tip: Request a high floor room in block A or block D with full seaview.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends