“Fantastic holiday”
Review of Club Med Da Balaia

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Albufeira
Club Med Da Balaia
Ranked #23 of 154 Hotels in Albufeira
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 26 April 2012

I had a wonderful time at Da Balaia and it is the second time that I went. Wonderful GO's and a very sweet and hard working chef de Village. Anyone who does not like it here is spoilt to the bone. It is in french but everybody tries so hard to also explain in english. It was coming like coming home to a warm bath. There is nothing I did not like. A special thanks to the hard working GO's and the local very friendly GE's who are always there and work so extemely hard, I have the deepest respect for them. Will come back.

Room Tip: Hotel Pyramide is a good upgrade with wonderfull vieuws.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo

Reviewed 23 April 2012

We would never recommend this hotel to anybody! We had a terrible experience there last year... From the beginning till the end.
It started with our arrival at Faro airport. Nobody was there to pick us up (of course it was all arranged and paid for). After 3 long calls, they finally agreed to pay for a 'taxi' to take us to the hotel.
Arriving at the hotel, we had our second surprise: nobody spoke English (nor Portuguese)! They all spoke French!
Anyway, we tried to check-in and were informed that our room wasn't available until 15:00h - it was 11:30 by this time. The lady at the reception (very rude) also said that IF we wanted to have lunch in their restaurant, we would have to pay for an extra day! After 30 minutes of arguing with her, she then decided to "give us a meal for free".
Off we go to see the pool. What a disappointment! It was small and terribly cold! Even our 2-year-old boy was freezing... Then the activities at pool start: all in French again... Not even a single word in English. So if you're French - good for you - if you're not, sorry but you will struggle there!
It was 15:00h and our room was finally ready. We were given a terrible room! Old, smelly and very noisy! Of course we called reception to complain about it. We learned that that was "the new" type of room... We tried un upgrade then because it was really shocking. Could we get one? Not even a response from the front desk... They couldn't care less.
Customer service there is absolutely dreadful. From the reception staff to the entertainment ones. Again, if you're French, you'll probably get an answer. If not, you're totally ignored, including children! Our son tried several times to be part of games and paying activities... Of course because he could'd understand what they were saying, he gave up on everything and played by the pool on his own.
Food and wine are ok, considering it's an all inclusive resort. Staff at the restaurant were the only helpful ones.
The hotel facilities are all very old and in desperate need of renovation. This includes guest rooms, pool toilets, theatre, restaurants and the atrocious "crazy-golf" - don't even waste your time going there....
We will NEVER EVER go back to this place! What a complete waste of money.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
12  Thank RaqsB
ClubMedUK_official, Manager at Club Med Da Balaia, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2012

Dear Club Med Customer,

First, we would like to thank you for taking the time to put your comments on Trip Advisor regarding your holiday experience in our Da Balaia Resort. It is only with constructive criticism such as yours that Club Med will be able to monitor and improve if necessary, the standards and quality of services offered in all its Resorts worldwide.

We understand that you encountered some delays with the airport transfer from Faro airport to our Da Balaia Resort. We can assure you that the oversight has been taken most seriously and been reported to our Traffic Manager on site so that it can be addressed in the strongest possible way in order to avoid any further inconvenience.

We understand your disappointment on your arrival at the village, when you were advised that you could not get access to your room prior to 3pm. Please note that it is mentioned in the Terms and Conditions included in our brochure that arrival check-in starts from 3pm. We would like to assure you that the waiting time you faced was in no way due to a delay from the staff on site or a problem with your room.

We felt sorry to read that you found your room unsatisfactory due to problems of smells and noise. Kindly note that the staff has been made fully aware of these issues through detailed feedback. Having checked our records, we would like to mention that Da Balaia Resort was almost full at the time of your stay, consequently limiting the possibility for our team to upgrade your room.

We noticed you had to request your first lunch to the reception after your arrival. Given the information we gathered from your comments, you were indeed eligible for a free meal on site. The inconvenience caused is regretful. Once again we contacted the Resort to ensure all information we provide, regarding the first lunch, is assimilated. This oversight has also been reported to the Reception Manager for his attention.

With regards to the swimming pool temperature that you define as too cold, we can only apologise for the inconvenience caused to you as a result. We can confirm that your comments have been forwarded to the relevant departments in our organisation for their attention and to our Chef de Village for his perusal.

We understand that you were not satisfied with the overall aspect of Da Balaia Resort. We would like to mention that it had recently been refurnished, including certain rooms as well as the central shared space, to provide our clients with a better experience. However, your comments have been taken most seriously and forwarded to our Quality department in France for their attention.

We carefully read your comments on the language barriers you faced during your stay at Da Balaia. It is especially regretful for your son who could not totally enjoy the activities or meet kids of his age speaking English. We are fully aware that offering our Anglo-Saxon customers a high quality service in their native language is a priority to make their stay as comfortable as possible.

Whilst it is true that Club Med is a French company, with a majority of French guests and members of staff, it is only fair to say that we aim to do our utmost for our English customers to feel less ‘isolated’ by providing English members of staff wherever possible. On behalf of Club Med, we would like to offer you our sincere apologies if this was not the case during your stay at Da Balaia.

On a more positive note, it was a pleasure for us to note that you were satisfied with Club Med’s food and wine in the Resort, as with its restaurant’s staff service quality. I can assure you that they do their utmost to meet our members’ expectations at all times, and were delighted to receive a positive feedback.

With these positive thoughts in mind, I hope that despite the inconvenience caused to you and your family on this occasion, we will have the opportunity to welcome you to another Club Med Resort in a not too distant future.

Best Regards,

Your Club Med UK team

Reviewed 17 April 2012

Wow - what a week! Second Easter I have stayed here and after last year I really didn't think it could get better - but it did!!! I organised my own flights this time (CM - take note we need flights out of Yorkshire!!) and got the CM transfer without a problem. Got a very warm welcome with many GO's recognising me - I got an amazing room in La Pyramide section that was the best room I've ever had in my 7 years of going there! The English GO's Joshua and Charlotte are particularly helpful. Food is as ever amazing, Pool Clean, and the shows were great particularly the Stavros Flatley tribute with Fred doing his dancing!
Can't wait to go back!!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room in La Pyramide!
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Sara_bal
ClubMedUK_official, Manager at Club Med Da Balaia, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2012

Dear Great Member,

We would like to thank you warmly for being such a loyal customer, and for writing this amazing review on Trip Advisor after your 2nd stay in our Da Balaia Club Med Resort. We are really pleased to read that you enjoyed the comfort of your room, the great food and the Resort facilities –especially the pool.

We are also glad to see that you enjoyed the Resort’s friendly atmosphere and seeing the same GO’s again!

We hope to see you again soon in one of our Resorts.

Reviewed 11 April 2012

We have been to Club Med twice before and have had incredible experience and we have recommended Club Med without hesitation to family, friends and acquaintances over the years. We were so looking forward to our trip (last week) to Club Med in the Algarve (Portugal). We knew the weather would be iffy but with 2 two year olds - weather really doesn't affect us - we just go! We had booked about 2 months before for the resort and we actually called into Club Med reservations to guarantee that we got the room that we wanted - 1 Club 2 bedroom SeaView. Which we understood from their website, the Club Med operator and our experience last year at Club Med Sandpiper in Florida to be a hotel room with two bedrooms.

When we got to the resort on the 1st day of their season, we were greeted by the same friendly staff and brought to our room. Well, our room had two keys - I was handed one key for "you and your husband and here is the key for your sons"... PARDON! My sons are two! It is actually against Club Med (and every other international hotel booking) policy to put anyone under the age of 12 into a room on their own - even if it a connecting room. For anyone with kids aged 2 - 3; even a connecting room is slightly worrying when they can get out of bed on their own,they open doors on their own (there is only a door knob lock that only locks from the outside), they can open the door to the balcony on their own and have even gotten into bathtubs on their own and started them!

When I went directly to the front desk, I was told that is what I booked. Even when I showed them the reservation confirmation from Club Med Rervations that had a Club Room 2 bedroom w/ Sea View Uccupancy 4. The girl at the front desk argued with me - that it was I received... Being "Canadian" I told her that in any form of English - a 2 bedroom Club room with sea view - is ONE hotel room with two bedrooms... She told me she would put my name on a waiting list for their two bedroom and that perhaps my husband could sleep in one of the rooms with one of my twins and that I could sleep in one of the rooms with the other! I politely told her that is not the way that I wanted to spend my vacation with my husband or my two boys!

I returned to the front desk a number of times to complain about the room - leaving after more frustration - "that is what you booked, there is nothing we can do, and we will ask the manager to call you." No offer of how this confusion happened, or even an apology". As my husband kept saying "typical european customer service"...

I finally found the Chef de Village about 4 days in and mentioned our issue... He told me there is a form I should get from the front desk - fill it out, send it to Club Med and I should get a response. Why didn't someone just give me the form... But still NO apology, NO explaination for the mix-up or lack of follow through on the room reservation... Oh did I mention that a 2 bedroom Club Room is more expensive then two rooms!!!!! By about 500(e).

At any rate, it was still a nice experience ( I promised my husband, I wouldn't let it ruin our vacation)... Same great food, same great facilities (minus the gym - HORRIBLE... not what we are use to), and wonderful friendly staff - minus the front desk staff...

We were also a bit disappointed that there seem to be so many things either not up and running or under maintenance - in the 1st week. Isn't everything supposed to be ready to roll and perfect when the doors open to their 1st customers - pool was under some sort of maintenance, the beach was not set up for use (no chairs, no towel service, no bar)... Though we were probably the only family that used the beach everyday - we did expect the service... and it wasn't there -though it was promised on the website! A little disappointing.

Will we not return to Club Med again - NO... we made the room work after lots of re-arranging and trial and error from the boys, and the 1st week jitters didn't ruin it for us - 2 two year olds really don't need much to amuse themselves afterall - and if they are happy, we are happy!

So it was a nice vacation but just a little disappointing!

Room Tip: WE didn't get the room we wanted even after calling Club Med directly! So, I am not sure what to...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank Robin R
Reviewed 29 March 2012

I have booked to go to Da Balaia in June and only noticed after the confirmation came through that 2 rooms had been booked for myself, husband and three year old daughter. After numerous attempts to get this resolved and holding for ages, I was told I would have to pay a supplement of over £1000 to get the two rooms to be inter-connecting and £170 to only be in 1 room. When I asked why 1 room was more expensive than 2 I was told because we had automatically been booked into two rooms in part of the hotel which was smelly and noisy...honestly you could not make this up! I did point out that this was not mentioned on the website but they were only interested in asking for more money or cancel the holiday with no refund. So, we have been forced to pay the extra rather than have our holiday ruined. It is an appalling example of customer service and I now note from other reviews that other couples with young families have been misled this way. The numerous people I had to speak to in the call centre knew exactly what I was talking about so I know I cannot have been the first to bring this up. No one could explain to me why a resort that encourage families have an online booking process that automatically defaults couples with young children to be in two rooms that are noisy and smelly. It is completely ridiculous. I don't usually write reviews but I really wanted to make sure that no one else falls prey to this dreadful ploy to help them get rid of rooms that no one else would want to be in and ruin someone's holiday by making the parents sleep in separate rooms!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
6  Thank Fiona C
Reviewed 26 March 2012

I went to this Club med in April 211 with my mum, and we had a fantastic time. this is my first club med experince and I loved it !I love dteh fact that all is being organisez for you and all you have to do is take your flight...dn decide what you wnat to eat or want to do...or not:)
All went perfectly as as advertised., pick up from the aiport was n time and direct.The welcoming was great too, we got explained all then, and how all works. The room was in teh main building, but sadly in same building as a night club, whihc means you acn hear the music( a bit) but more importantlyteh people hanging out after and them smoking and laughing out loud( dont balem them, but i need to sleep at 4 am!), so if you can, ask not to be there. It is not terrible(we didnot ask to change room) but this coudl be avoided:)
The fodo was magnificent...totally blown away, a 1*Michelin , seriously,there is fresh everything, too much choice in fact, and too good not to eat. The dessert buffet is overwhelming!The wine whihc is included is perfectly adequate and we only bought a bottle at the end of the stay to celebrate and thank on of the GO who was so great always with us.
You actually dont need to spend anythinga at all there!
I'm not a big fan of the theathre thing they do, but it is nice to go at least once to see:)
The golf lessons (free) were great and the instructors very good, it was really helpful and enjoyable! teh Tai-chi outside under tree shaddow is great experince, really amazing eo to this with breeze in your air.
There was quite a few kids as it was Easter holidays, but somehow, they were all very well behaved and parents always telling them off as soon as they were too noisy or bothering other people, it looks lile Club med Clientele is quite welle ducated in general, proffesional people and upper market...which is lovely. We were not bothered in the slightest by the kids.
the weaher was very godo for teh first half of teh week and raining teh second half, but in April, you can expect this. On raininy days, there is a large room with TV and board game, bridge club etc...we relaxed, read , play card etc...we actually did not got bored at all.
The room was very clean, very new, and big enough for 2 with Balcony. The internet is only available in ahllways(sofas are installed on pupuse), tat is, i was told to help people to have a real break...it works i ahve to say, and really if needed , you go in those are to connect and check your emails.
the GO were all great, a few in particular( i wish i remenber the name of that young Norwegian guy!!) and cooks and staff absolutely lovely too, they woudl do anything to please you.
One thing to know: there is no news paper or magazines in the club, but there is a local shop 5 min walk in whihc you can find what you want along witha few things to eat :)
All in all , a great and very relaxing experience, top quality service, food and room and activities...all i really want is going back......:) in June tho!

Room Tip: the quietest would be with view on golf club, but at the time, they were due for renovation, so chec...
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family

Dear Great Member,

Thank you very much for writing this very great review on Trip Advisor after your 1st stay with Club Med in our Da Balaia Resort. We are really pleased to see you and your mother had a good time and that you enjoyed the amazing food –especially the desserts!- the cleanliness of your new room, and practising golf and Tai Chi with our well trained G.O.s.

We are also glad to read that you appreciated the friendliness and dedication of our staff, and that you are now a Club Med convert!

We now look forward to see you again in one of our Resorts in June!

Reviewed 11 February 2012

Only writing a review now, although it was last May 2011 we stayed here on a family holiday for 10 days. This was our second trip to Club Med Da Balaia.
Our room was in the golf hotel which was great and we had a free interconnecting room for our two kids (2 1/2yrs & 10mths), which was super, as we had lots of space for all the things that go with a baby and a toddler !
The food was great in the buffet restaraunt, huge choice and no problem at lunch time when I put together bowls of food for my kids to have later, the chef wrapped them in foil happily. There is a childrens eating time at 6.30pm (i think it was), but for my two that was a bit late.
I had a HUGE issue in the other restaurant, the one you have to book. My parents & brother came on holiday with us and offered to babysit for us to go to this restaurant. So off we went, on arrival the Maitre De greeted us and pointed at my belly and asked was I pregnant !! I was mortified (I am usually a size uk 12 and am 5ft 9"), I guess I still had a bit of a belly since my baby was born, along with the lovely food in Club Med. This ruined my night and I blushed, said "NO", my husband glared at him. We were shown to our table and the Maitre D did not come near us again. I actually cried, I was devastated and I did not enjoy my meal at all. Luckily this was near the end of our holiday as I was so self conscious for the remaining time, especially at the pool and at meal times. We should have made a complaint at the time, and my husband wanted to, but I was just too embarrassed. But, my god, is it not common sense, you never ask a women if she is pregnant unless you 100% sure of the answer ! I should add, I had a bit of a belly, not huge at all !
Moving on from that. I had a golf lesson most days, which was great.The instructor was lovely, cant remember his name, but he had dark hair, tanned, 30's Id say. He was particularly helpful to my brother who has a slight disability and took an interest in him, which was very nice. 10/10 for the golf instructor :-)
My hubby enjoyed the archery and went most days for an hour or so.
The Baby Club Med was very good, we had the kids booked in for the 10 days, so I really hoping it would work out. My baby daughter settled well in the baby room and the girls embraced her each day with kisses and hugs. Great.
Petite Club Med, not so good. There was two girls with fluent English (one was english), but if I could not find one of them on arrival each day I did not leave my son until they arrived, as although the others had some English, they continued to either speak French to my son or say things like "aw stop crying", which did not help ! With most parents arriving at the same time and alot of kids crying at first, there seemed to be nobody taking control. I would stand there consoling my son, and nobody one come near me, and there was no way I was going to walk away unless somebody took him under their wing, so usually I had to ask.
Once I was gone, he was fine, as I would spy to make sure :-)
My other gripe with the childrens clubs is this. I feel if you pay for full days, you should be able to drop off and collect whenever it suits you (within reason), as you are on holiday afterall. We did not want to leave our kids in all day, just a couple of hours in the morning and afternoon, as we wanted to bring them to the pool and eat lunch with them etc, especially as my daughter is a picky eater. I collected my daughter on one occasion to feed her myself and when my husband dropped her back an hour later, he was told by the baby manager, the "second session" didnt start for another hour (cant remember exact times), he said but shes booked in for the whole day and he was told that there is specific drop off times regardless, to which he nicely pointed out, no, im paying extra for full days and I am going to drop her off now. Done. We got an attitiude most days from both the baby and petit clubs about the dropping off times. I can understands there is routines etc and kids coming going could be messy, but I think kids that are pre booked should be catered for whenever they arrive as of course parents will be wanting to come and go to bring them swimming etc.
On our last day in the kids clubs, there was a big whiteboard asking us to rate different areas of their service. We gave excellent for most things, but rated low for one or two things, which the girls were shocked about and more so that we were not shy to put it on the board in front of them. I think they thought getting people to do it this way and in front of them, that poeple would only rate very well. Anyway, this is the best part, that night in the bar, the blonde english girl from the petite club confronted us about the low grade we gave for one thing ! She said "nobody ever gives us a low mark", and that they could get in trouble. I couldnt beleive the cheek !
So all that aside, it sounds like alot of complaints, but I would still go back. They just need to train their staff better in some areas.
The bar staff/GO's were great. Food again, great, bedrooms great, pools great, playground great.

Room Tip: The Golf Hotel is great if you have kids, lovely big interconnecting rooms.
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
6  Thank Wheretonext3

Dear Club Med Customer,

Thank you very much for writing those comments on Trip Advisor after your stay in our Da Balaia Resort. It is only with constructive criticism such as yours that Club Med will be able to monitor and improve its offer in all its Resorts worldwide.

We understand that you felt concerned with the attitude of the staff on site, and we regret to notice that you reported an inconvenient behaviour from some of them.

We understand you were shocked when the restaurant’s “maître d’” asked you if you were pregnant. We acknowledged with regret your devastation and self consciousness after this incident. We can confirm that this incident has been reported to the Restaurant Manager on site for his attention so that such incident does not occur again in the future.

We read carefully your comments regarding the Petit Club Med. We noted your anxiety at times when you brought your elder child to the Petit Club Med and no English speaker was around to welcome him, so you had to stay and ask for the staff to take care of him.

In reference to the above, please note that as a matter of policy, all the GOs in charge of childcare within our Resorts have extensive experience within this area and are extremely motivated to work with children. The supervisors and some of the GOs are NNEB qualified or equivalent. However, the adaptation of children to a collective childcare environment abroad is sometimes difficult and may take a few days for the children to feel comfortable within this new environment.

We have noted your comments regarding the lack of spoken English at the Petit Club Med: please be assured that we do not offer a better standard of service to guests according to their nationality and our staff do their utmost to make all the children comfortable. On behalf of Club Med, we would like to offer our sincerest apologies if this was not the case. Your comments have been forwarded to our Chef de Village and to our Petit Club Med Manager on site for their attention so that improvements can be made where necessary.

We understand you wanted to make the most of your holiday and share this fantastic experience with your two kids. This implied for you picking them up and dropping them back at the Kids’ Club at the time you desired. Please note that whilst Club Med’s intention is to let parents and children enjoy their stay together when they want to, the Kids’ Clubs drop off times have to be respected for the wellness of all. Indeed, supervisors specifically design activities, which sometimes imply constraints of time and location.

We noted your enthusiasm regarding the establishment of a whiteboard to give your feedback on the Kids’ Clubs on the last day. However, you wrote that you received incomprehensible comments later from a Petit Club Med’s supervisor, following a low grade. On behalf of Club Med, please accept our sincerest apologies for the inconvenience caused by the above incidents. We can assure you that your comments have been forwarded to the Senior Management of our Da Balaia Resort in order to avoid any other occurrence of this nature, indeed staff must embody the values of Club Med, thus being friendly and open-minded.

Lastly, we were pleased to read all the good comments you wrote about your overall experience. It is rewarding for Club Med to notice that you enjoyed your accommodation, sports lessons, relationship with GOs, on site facilities and the ability you were given for providing your own feedback to the village.

We also noted that you came to Da Balaia along with your brother and parents. It is always a pleasure to welcome relatives enjoying exclusive holidays in the same Resort, as we aim to offer experiences adapted to the whole family, in a friendly atmosphere.

We appreciate your constructive feedback and we now hope that despite the issues that you have raised we will have the opportunity to restore your faith in our company by welcoming you and your family again in one of our Club Med Resorts in the not too distant future.