“very nice hotel”
Review of Hotel do Cerro

Hotel do Cerro
Ranked #48 of 154 Hotels in Albufeira
Reviewed 19 May 2011

We travelled here in May with Thomas cook its a very nice hotel not modern more classic style and the rooms are cosy .
It has a lovely pool area with a great view of Albufeira bay.
We were half board and the restaurant was very good with a varied menu. There was not undersirable clientelle in fact very quiet and civilised all the time we were there.
WE arrived on the Tomas cook transfer but it took so long we booked a private transfer on the return with yellowfish transfers .com very good a lady in the hotel suggested them.Recommended

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 12 May 2011

Arrived at midnight.. Reception not very helpful at all.. We was shown to our rooms which were in the old part that has not been renovated... One word horrible.. They smell of cat pee and damp... Not at all pleasant.. I went back to reception and complained as the room did not have a sea view which we had paid for.. I was told I would have to go back in the morning.. Also asked if we could get something to drink for the kids I was told abruptly ther was a pub at end of street go there. anyway I went back next morning about the room and we was all moved to 2 new rooms in the new part. Alot nicer but not cleaned as should be.. Lovely views though.. Food alot to be desired main meal not too bad but that's about it.. Really rude and miserable staff if you are english with kids be aware you will be made to feel uncomfortable one of them told my son he ate too much and should just eat fruit... He watched him for the rest of the holiday.. Pools outside were freezing but the inside pool was lovely can not fault it at all.. Nothing much round the hotel to do for us or kids... Now for the hills.. Oh my we was expecting the worst but got far worse lol 4 steep hills they are dire especially with a pram ya on ya knees by the time ya reach the top.. But it's the price you pay for views I suppose... I wouldn't return to this hotel nor would I return to albufeira not for me at all... I would only reccomend this hotel to people who can get a very cheap deal and a room in the new part and like animals as there seems to be more animals than humans in the hotel... Otherwise I would stay clear... I don't often moan about things but I had to put my opinion on as I use the reviews on here to choose the hotels I go to we tried it we didn't like it but everyone to there own

• Stayed: April 2011
4  Thank rach26
Reviewed 12 April 2011

After reading mixed reviews we weren't quite sure what to expect. The hotel is clean and very nicely furnished in communal areas. Our room was a little on the small side but more than adequate. We got the double bed as we asked for. Hotel staff were very friendly and accommodating. Nice outdoor pool but not heated. Indoor pool was heated but a little small. As we went out of season the hotel wasn't too busy, also food at hotel cafe half price so a good deal for lunch but may not apply throughout whole year. Breakfast and evening meals were ok, nothing special but certainly had a lot worse at hotels. Hotel is at top of steep hill so some may need taxi/bus into and out of town. Overall really pleasantly surprised and would definitely consider staying here again.

Room Tip: Take a trip to see some more of the Algarve
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank medicdownunder
Reviewed 8 April 2011

My wife and I stayed in Rm 12 which is actually a triple person room. I would say the best and the biggest. I paid 155 euro for 3 nights that included free internet and breakfast, Typical british food but good. Service in the restaurant, bar and front desk was superb. There english was very good. Free car parking very close by. Excellent sea view with balcony. 10 minute walk down to the beach and old town. To me, the hotel was clean convient with quality sleep. Early April brings high 20`s in the days and mid teens at night. .We always bring our little dog every where we go so our choice in hotels in limited. But that was no problem here, Paulo at the front desk is the greatest. Estalagem do Cerro is no doubt the best, what a deal!

Room Tip: 35 steps up to this room
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Colin F
Reviewed 8 April 2011

Located in the old town section of Albufeira it is better suited to those who like to walk as there are lots of hills on the way to the town centre. The walk to the centre is stunning though given the wonderful beach and attractive rock formations. The food was excellent with plenty of variety. We loved the fresh salads with wonderfully prepared extras made with crab and various fish concoctions. The ONLY aspect of the food we did not think measured up was the hot vegetables which were always overcooked and too mushy for our taste. The pastries were 1st class and the ice creams were delicious. Wine was not too overpriced and we got a 25% discount which may have been due to a slow time of the year. The weather was, for us, perfect at around 19-20 degrees. I would not visit in the summer as we do not like stinking hot weather. The indoor pool was a treat with a "Roman baths" ambiance-a bit small but my wife and I were the only ones using it in the late afternoon. We were looking forward to availing ourselves of the spa's massage service but at 75Euros an hour--forget about it! The outside pool area was pleasant but could get noisy at certain times due to a school next door. A very minor distraction to the overall pleasantness of the hotel. Staff were mostly very friendly--I like the Portuguese! The bar was pleasant also and they had a guitar player who could out-Clapton Eric and out Santana Carlos with great interpretations of Dire Straits thrown in--Helder Rita is his name. The other entertainment we experienced was just "okay." Our room was a bit small with a cramped bathroom that came with an enormous shower that was the BEST my wife and I had ever experienced. Balcony was too small to lie out in the sun but provided a convenient place to dry clothes and sit and enjoy a glass of Portuguese wine which is among the best in the world in my view--try Douro wines--they can compete with anything Spain or France can produce. We both loved the hotel and the overall experience. The location was excellent if you don't mind walking, the ambience was 5 Star in our view because we shy away from cookie-cutter blocks with uniformity. I would highly recommed this hotel for its value, friendliness, excellent food value and Helder Rita's guitar work.

Room Tip: We took our netbook and the internet was free.
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank olympius
Reviewed 2 April 2011

Thought this hotel was closer to the old town but was not let down. High up on the hill with wonderful view. Walked down to town and taxi back each day. All staff were very helpful and friendly and it was lovely to be in a small and friendly environment. 4 rooms booked as a group of friends. Rooms were very clean and modern, there was one room that was a bit damp smelling but had a wonderful view and plenty of room to sleep 3 in. Mentioned this to the staff and they saif they would look into it. Weather fantastic and definately go back again.

Sue and friends

Room Tip: Ideal for all seasons with the spa facilities
  • Stayed: March 2011
Reviewed 25 February 2011

Trip was actually October 2009 but review system doesn't let me go back that far.

Listed as 4* establishment but very firmly in 3* territory. It wasn't cheap either, if memory serves, but the missus booked this one! the outward appearance of the place is pleasant and is actually quite a sprawling establishment - occupying the better part of two cul de sacs! Parking was free and the area felt safe but a primary school is right adjacent so expect plenty of noise from kids and also a bit of traffic mayhem at (odd) school hours (depsite being in a very quiet part of the old(er) town on the hillside). You'll definitely need a car to get here.

Reception staff were professional and adequate. Check in and check out were painless.

Room was miles away from reception via two separate lifts and through a maze of corridors. On the plus side, we were out of season and being further away from reception meant that it was very quiet. Room had a private balcony and a nice view of the town and sea. Although the room appeared visually clean, it became apparent that cleaning staff only bothered with obvious stuff, like making the beds and emptying of bins. Walking around the room in bare feet would rapidly turn soles nice n black! However, room was large and bathroom was adequate. There is no room fridge or kettle.

Stay was fully inclusive but the food is truly dire (that's coming from somebody who's a bit of a dustbin eater!). Most of the mains had enough salt to float a battleship in swimming pool and there was little variety. Restaurant staff were not very personable and clearly made their money by selling alcohol. The restaurant itself was very dimly lit but not done so in an atmospheric way - bascially, felt dark and dingey! I tried to avoid eating there when possible!

Hotel bar is also very uninspiring and there was a bit of entertainment but it was quite dire. Some local teens tried to throw some stones at us while we were seated on the outside terrace of the bar - nice touch!!

There was free wifi in reception area.

At the risk of sounding like a real moaner, the whole experience left much to be desired. It was quiet and having the balcony was lovely in the evening. On the whole, whilst it wasn't actively bad, if given a choice go elsewhere.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple