“Almost perfect...”

Rocamar Exclusive Hotel & Spa
Ranked #45 of 154 Hotels in Albufeira
Reviewed 19 July 2013

Just returned from the rocamar after a week staying there, we were in room 513 view from balcony was out on to the road no problem with this as we didn't pay extra for sea view room. I think your better staying on the 5th floor less noise from the road and probably better from the sea view side also with the noise from the pool on the 3rd floor and people walking past at night on the promenade.

I would probably avoid getting a room on the 3rd floor where the pool is unless you want a view of other guests getting tanned out your window. Of course if your the type to be lounging by the pool all day then its probably ideal as you can probably reserve a bed early. As others have said previously you have to be up at daft o'clock to reserve a place on the pool deck. What we tended to do was go the beach first thing then have a dip in the pool after 3pm where there seemed to be a few spare seats. The infinity pool itself was great with stunning views on to the beach.

All rooms have a hairdryer (if you were wondering ladies) a safe where you pay to use about 10 euros for the week, tv has itv/bbc1/e4 also. My only gripe was the issue we had with the air conditioning it started to leak during our first night, we reported it the following morning at reception. It was attended to but the only way to prevent it occurring again was to empty an overflow bottle each night, which became somewhat of an evening ritual.

The resort of albuferia itself is superb all sorts to do to for all ages, the hotel is in a prime location for the old town, not too far to the marina etc. Excursions can be booked via the front desk,pick up is normally via bus stop near statue of monk about 250 yards from hotel. We would definitely considering returning again to the rocamar more so if the air con is sorted :-)

Room Tip: Avoid the 3rd floor
3  Thank KK10
hugoabreurodrigues, Director of Sales at Rocamar Exclusive Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2013

Thank you very much for your review.

Regarding the rooms on the third floor, this type of rooms are sold as Promo Rooms which means that they are a cheapest that we have available, so if you book Land or sea View Rooms you won´t be in front of the poll looking to the other guests..

Regarding the beach towels on the sunbeds our colleagues from the Bar in the pool have orders to take them out 40mnts after nobody use them.....

The problem with the air condition is now fixed ;)

Hope to see you soon

Hugo

Write a ReviewReviews (1,116)

Reviewed 17 July 2013 via mobile

I stayed at the Rocamar Hotel with my best friend for 4 nights from 5th-9th July 2013. We had the most amazing holiday and this gem of a hotel played a big part in that!

We loved everything about it from the minute we arrived to the minute we left! We arrived at the hotel at 11am and check in wasn't until 2pm but they checked us in straight away which was fantastic! First impressions of the hotel was very impressive! The reception staff were very friendly and helpful!

Our room was 508, I definitely recommend that you pay extra for a sea view room! The view from our balcony was out of this world! I was speechless! Our room was ideal, 2 single beds pushed together, loads of wardrobe space and the bathroom was nice! The shower was powerful and the hair dryer was powerful too! The balcony was a great size! The air con worked a treat which was needed as it was so hot when we were there!

The pool was small ish but gorgeous! We didn't sit round there as we are beach people but we did go up to the pool for an afternoon dip to cool off! It is an infinity pool and the views over the beach are priceless! They also provide a few lilos which was nice!

The restaurant was also lovely, we stayed bed and breakfast and the breakfast was everything you would want! Hot buffet, toast, pastries, cereal etc! We didn't have lunch or dinner there so can't comment on this! There is a lovely outside seating area on the terrace!

It's all about the location though...the hotel is on the cliff face overlooking the beach! Only a couple of minutes walk down to the beach!! We went to the beach every day! Just a tip for you....there is a drinks hut on the beach and you get men walking round with ice cold drinks but they are quite expensive but there is a little supermarket right near the hotel so we went there in the morning to get our water to last us until lunch as it was so much cheaper! On the beach It cost 15 euros for 2 sun beds and an umbrella!

The hotel is right on top of the old town where there is such a fantastic atmosphere!! Loads of lovely restaurants, bars and shops!! The locals and staff in Albufeira are so lovely and friendly!! We had 4 amazing meals when we were here!! I would like to recommend somewhere!! If you like steak go to El Rancho which is located on the front near to the escalators!! I had steak on a stone and the waiters showed us what to do and we cooked it ourselves and it was a lot of fun!! The staff were brilliant in this restaurant and the food was very good and had a beautiful view of the beach!!

We had a night out in the new town 'strip' and you must go to Wild & Co for dinner which is above the bar at the beginning of the strip! The service was second to none and the food was outstanding and not too expensive!

All in all Albufeira is a fantastic place to go on holiday, gorgeous beaches, lovely weather and so much to see and do!!

I am going to go back to the Rocamar Hotel next year with my Fiancé!! This hotel definitely deserves more than 3 stars! Thank you so much for making our holiday so special!

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Kristy0808
hugoabreurodrigues, Director of Sales at Rocamar Exclusive Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2013

Dear Krysty

Thank you very much for your review.
We will keep the good work and hope that you visit us again soon

Reviewed 16 July 2013

Recently returned from a week's break at Hotel Rocamar with my boyfriend and another couple. We are all in our mid 20's and found the hotel a lovely place to stay.

Our room was located on the 5th floor, and although we didn't pay extra (as advised) for a sea view room, the view was still pleasant (especially as, if you craned your neck to the left you could see the sea anyway!). The room was very nice (although I've stayed in some absolute holes when travelling with friends, so if you're used to staying in luxurious hotels, this review might not be for you!) It had satellite TV, air conditioning and a hair dryer (so I had no need to use some of my minimal Ryanair luggage allowance on bringing my own!)

The views from the swimming pool were lovely it looks out right onto the beach. My only teeny annoyance was the size of the pool which was small, and from what I gathered pool activities are not exactly embraced. Cue my boyfriend and his friend being glared at my two leather handbags for the rest of the afternoon after they accidentally splashed them.

Another point to note is the sunbed situation, by 9am the majority of the sunbeds had towels down (pool opens at 8am). Now I'm not saying I wasn't guilty of a mad dash down to the pool at 8am on the last few days to get in some last minute sun, bundle of towels in tow, but it's just so you readers are aware.

Also, if you want sun all day the best sunbeds are at the back of the pool where the shower is, as the sunbeds around the side go into shade around 1pm. I did feel sorry for the people on the 3rd floor whose rooms faced the swimming pools. I imagine their windows had a daily parade of people's pale (I'll speak for myself on the pale front) torso's rolling on and off their sunbeds.

Anyway, that's probably enough about the sunbeds, the food was good I couldn't really fault the breakfast had traditional English and Continental, we never had any issues with queues etc. It does get busier around 9:30am. I found all the staff very accommodating and friendly enough, especially the reception staff who must have activated my key cards at least 100 times.

The location of the hotel was ideal, on a cliff top looking out onto the beach (very picturesque) and a lift (yes a LIFT!) down to the beach which is a 2 minute walk away. Though be aware that the lift is only open 8am until 8pm. We made this mistake after taking a walk along the beach after our evening meal and what was a romantic meal ended up one of the sweatiest of my life.

The hotel is situated right near Old Town Albufeira, which was a 5 minute walk away. The Old Town has your usual tourist stores, and plenty of varied restaurants and a lively strip of bars. Overall, I had a wonderful trip to Albufeira and I can't recommend this hotel enough!! Hope you manage to endure this waffling review and actually book to go to Hotel Rocamar! You wouldn't be disappointed!

1  Thank CozzyOzzy

Dear Guest

Thank you for your first review, and for choosing us....
My only words for now is ....... come back again, we are expecting you!!!
;)

Reviewed 15 July 2013

Just recently returned from a seven at the lovely quaint Hotel Rocamar with my girlfriend.

Upon arrival we found check in to be fairly straightforward and we were fortunate enough to be able to enter our rooms straight away (usually you have to wait until 2pm).

The hotel is perfectly located on the sea front offering fabulous views of the beach. The old town is also only a 5-10 minute walk away. However, be warned there are steep hills to be tackled en route to the center which may not be for the less mobile of people.

On the whole we found all of the hotel staff to be very polite and friendly from the reception staff, to the restaurant staff through to the cleaners. We particularly found the reception staff very helpful with providing tips on other beaches to visit as my girlfriend and I found Albufeira beach rather pebbly.

We were given a sea view room on the third floor(320) which offered beautiful views of the beach and the old town at night. Although the room was not that large, it was nicely decorated to make it feel spacious. However, there were a few niggles with the room which were:

You had to rent a fridge for €2 a day- Although this is not a lot of money, if you are staying longer than a week it starts to add up. Also for a 3* hotel that is practically a 4* this is something I would have expected to find in a room.

One of the walls looked like it could do with painting- again this is not a biggie, however it is a minor detail and first impressions I thought the hotel would have taken in to consideration.

There was no where to hang your washing outside- again this is not a big issue, but I thought most hotels had a clothes rack.

There was no light on the balcony- which made it hard to sit outside and read.

On the whole it the Rocamar is a lovely hotel, however the few niggles mentioned is what is preventing me from giving it a 5/5.

1  Thank dd2060

Thank you very much for your review.

We´re happy that you had a nice stay with us regardless you have a few complains.
Let me please explain some of them

The paint job will be done at the end of the Season (is impossible to do it now)
The light on the balcony is impossible to have as the City Hall doesn´t let us put it .
Regarding the fridge we think that €2 a day it´s a fair price.

Despite everything we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 7 July 2013

Visited Hotel Rocamar in june for 10 days, at first was a little worried that we had been sent to a Saga hotel ! but we found that there were some under 40s. We had a sea view on the second floor with lovely views however it did mean that you heard the clubbers heading home at 4 am so i would ask for a room on a higher floor. The food was acceptable and not as bad as i expected having read reviews, we always found something and the bread, salads and puddings were very good. The staff work hard and some never seemed to have any time off so maybe this is why some reviewers found them grumpy. The drinks at the hotel were a good price as were the snacks and meals available during the day. Outside of the hotel there are tables and chairs under canopies where it was nice to sit and have a snack or drink, there is also a ice cream stall where they also have salads and fruit boxes for sale at a good price ideal for the beach. there was lots to do in the area, a short stroll to the old town, we used the little train to go and have a look at the strip and we glad we wernt staying there.
The rooms were cleaned daily and towels replaced when you wanted, leave them in bath if you want new or hang them up if you can use again. The only issue we had was the pool area is far too small for the size of the hotel once you have 8-10 guests on sunbeds around the edge thats it no more room; and as usual there is always someone bagigng the best spot day after day ( Yes, scottish couple you !!) the sun is above the hotel from midday so the outer beds are best although we never got a bed around the pool and used the lift just to the right of the hotel to get to the beach. We would visit Rocamar again and talking to other guests many of them were on their 4th or 5th stay so that says a lot.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on higher floor to avoid being woken by clubbers heading home in early hours ( not to...
1  Thank ylaid

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review.
Reagrding the age of the people at our Hotel you´ll find that it´s very miscellany, and you will find that the younger couples/people normally leave the Hotel earlier and come back later, so it´s normal to have older people at the Hotel.
Everybody is welcome and we found extraordinary that after a few days (because we´re not a big Hotel) eveybody knows everybody.....
Hope to see you soon back at the Rocamar....

Reviewed 1 July 2013

We can honestly say you couldn't really fault the location and the view from our 4th floor sea view room. The air-conditioned room was great and the view from the spacious balcony was practically 180 degrees so we could see the sea and inland too, most of the rooms from the 2nd floor upwards had mega views. Access to the beach was great, the lift nearby was an absolute bonus (though it stopped at 8pm so not much good if you wanted the easy was back from the town centre). There were a few downsides though - as already mentioned, the food was rubbish. Breakfast was the same every day, and the 'sausages' were actually hot dogs (proper sausages would have been better) and more choice would have been gratefully received. The evening meal was a little better but not much, however, as it's a small hotel the food was of a limited choice because there are probably around 100 rooms in total and we accepted this. The other big downside was that the hotel was positioned at the top of a steep hill from the town and this did cause problems for the less mobile and those using wheelchairs or mobility scooters. Perhaps a minibus to the town and back would be a good idea. There was no airer outside to hang towels or small items of washing on, even though the balcony could more than accommodate one. My final gripe is there is no lighting on the balcony at all so we found wanting to sit out and read at night was impossible. The Atlantic Ocean hits the beach with a fury and sounds very noisy at night but you can hardly hear the noise when the patio door is closed so full marks for the double glazing. The cleaner came every day and nothing was too much trouble, and she was a really lovely lady. All the staff work really hard to make your stay as good as it can be and we give full marks to them for their effort and friendliness.

Room Tip: If you're booking a seaview room, ask for a room on a high floor otherwise you may get one on th...
1  Thank StorminNorma

Dear Norma

Thank you very much for your review.
We notice that you have a few repairs regarding the function of the Hotel.
We will discuss on our weekly meeting to see if it´s possible to change some details that you refers.

Reviewed 1 July 2013

Had a great week in the sun with the boyfriend. Loved this hotel even though we were definitely the youngest people there. We were only B&B as wanted to find our own dinners every day but we got a 20% off voucher on check in for a buffet dinner at the hotel. Food and service at the hotel were great however bacon for breakfast was very fatty but that's a minor niggle as the rest was great. we loved being so close to the beach and the old town, and ate there most evenings. One day we got the tourist train from the other end of the beach to the new town which is €4 each all day, however this is pretty much a younger version of the old town with all the restaurants selling pretty much the same thing. Something we found in the old town as well, pretty much everywhere sold the same: grilled/piri piri chicken, pizzas, steak, gammon steak, fish
We went on a quad biking trip one day which was great and got free pick up from the hotel and recommend 1 quad for 2 people as allows more photo taking opportunities and someone to talk to all the time, but be prepared there's a definite increase in temperature once you go inland away from the shore, it got up to 38 when we went and that was in JUNE! We also went on a boat trip from the marina, we went for the beach bbq which was €45 each but was well worth is as got a nice secluded beach with boat access only and a catamaran with about 40 people on it and a bar on board if you wanted a drink. Also a net on the front of the boat which is nice to relax on, but plenty of shade as well for when it got really hot!
Would definitely recommend as close to all you need and very nice staff in the hotel :)

Room Tip: sea view is definitely a must! ideally try and get 4th or 5th floor as third floor terrace opens out...
1  Thank rebeccapickford

Dear Rebecca

Thank you for your review.

I will pass your very kind review to all our staff, we all hope to see you soon