“Relaxing spring break”

Ranked #4 of 163 Hotels in Albufeira
Barrow-in-Furness, United Kingdom
“Relaxing spring break”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2014

Great hotel, low key but fun activities, good entertainment and very good food. Nice walk to beach through hotel next door, with glass lift down most of the way. Honey farm down the road is well worth a visit for a meal or afternoon tea.

Room Tip: Pool views are good but so are gardens. The only negative you have to hire safe, fridge and kettle...
4 Thank Donny33

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (649)
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

We spent a week at the Falesia in May. This was our first visit but will not be the last.
Our room was spacious and very comfortable. The dining room was beautifully laid out and although the food was superb we always found a table without difficulty. The facilities were excellent and the pool and garden areas were well above the hotel rating. Nothing appeared to much trouble for the staff and their general good humour seemed to rub off on the guests who all had a smile and a greeting for each other. All in all, a great week.

Room Tip: We had a pool view. Smashing. Friends we made had one on the other side and also loved it???
1 Thank WilliamPool
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

I've just returned from my one-week trip to Portugal, and was so impressed and overwhelmed by the experience that I felt obliged to write a review about this great hotel. First impressions of the hotel were great: great area, clean, and the first member of staff we met at the reception desk was friendly, helpful and had a good sense of humour too.

We arrived to the hotel about 10 o'clock after about a half-hour's transfer from Faro airport, and we knew the buffet would be closed, but had spotted a few restaurants on the way to the hotel, however when we got to our rooms, they had provided a plate of food for us each- hot food may I add- and a huge bottle of water for us which was a great touch I thought.

The rooms were fantastic; we'd read some reviews before travelling that said the rooms were in need of being redecorated, but I couldn't disagree more. There wasn't an inch of paint out of place and the room had clearly been cleaned within an inch of it's life before we arrived. I liked that we had a really good safe with plenty of space in the wardrobe too, it made it a lot easier to safely store things like passports etc. The bed was incredibly comfy and I slept well every night. The curtains worked pretty much like blackout curtains so there was no waking up at 6 in the morning every day! Bathroom was fine, shower was basic but worked no problem, plenty of towels are provided e.g. hand towels, floor towels and large towels, but they do leave a little reminder asking to consider the environment and only leave towels in the tub if they need washing or place them back on the rack if you intend to reuse them. They make a great point, it's such a big hotel and such a waste of water if they are unnecessarily washed everyday. There was so much space for clothes, if I had bothered to unpack (I'm incredibly lazy of just leaving everything in the suitcase so there's less to pack back in on the way home) I would have been able to fit everything in the three draws, leaving one draw, one cupboard and one HUGE wardrobe free!

Being an adult-only hotel meant that it truly was a relaxing holiday- the pool although not the biggest was never overcrowded and there was always enough sun beds to go around everybody so there's no need to get up at the crack of dawn to reserve one- in fact they remove them if you do that anyway so enjoy your lie-in!!

The food there was absolutely amazing, so much choice for breakfast and dinner, so much in fact that I couldn't even review everything because there was just so much! It was all of the highest quality and what made the experience even better was how passionate all the chefs were about their work; asking as you went round if you were enjoying the food and appearing genuinely touched when you complimented them. Some nights had a themed buffet and the Mexican night was definitely my favourite- what's better than free tequila though really?!

I honestly couldn't say I had a real problem with anything, but two things that for me personally I found maybe awkward or I would change was the fact there was only one mains socket that wasn't next to a table or a mirror, so doing my hair of a night could be awkward or having my phone on charge and not hearing my alarm for ages because it wasn't near my bed. The second little niggle I had was that they didn't replace knives and forks when they took your plates and cutlery away. Again it wasn't anything major and to be honest the majority of the time I didn't need to and it definitely didn't put me off, I just think it might've been a nice touch, but that's just me being super super picky.

All the staff were friendly and welcoming and nothing was too much of a request, they really would do anything to keep their guests happy! There was always plenty of staff around which was nice to see, and I saw the hotel manager pretty much everyday I was there, he was lovely and approachable and always eager to hear your opinions on the hotel.

I would definitely visit this hotel again and would recommend to all my friends.

8 Thank lwlfc
Carlos F, Gerente geral at Falesia Hotel, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Dear guests,

The whole of my team was very happy to see that you have had a really nice holiday. It is great to see that you have enjoyed our facilities and services and thank you for your two suggestions.

We will definitely make sure that we have got more electric sockets in the room when refurbishing the rooms in the near future and we can promise we will pay more attention replacing the cutlery when the used has been taken away.

Thank you for choosing the Falesia Hotel and we are looking forward to welcoming you back soon.

Kind regards,
Borehamwood, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

This Hotel just keeps getting better. Congratulations to Carlos, the General manager and his excellent team, to Angelo the Head Chef for hi fantastic food, to Fabio for keeping the guests entertained as they eat with his fantastic cooking and sense of humour, to Djalo an enthusiastic young waiter form whom nothing was too much trouble. This is a repeat visit for us and we just could not fault anything. The hotel, the rooms, the food, the grounds, the staff and the Thomson Team and the band Sophistication. Well done and keep it up. You guys really made our holiday.

Room Tip: All rooms are excellent
4 Thank John H
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2014

This hotel could not be better as an adult hotel and you will not be disappointed. Absolutely everything was great and the Thompson reps in the hotel and entertainment team made it all so much more enjoyable. The quality and standard were really up to scratch and there was very little, if anything, to grumble about! A few shops/cafes and two supermarkets very nearby so you are not a "captive" audience if you want to eat and drink elsewhere.

Room Tip: We elected to upgrade to a junior suite which was well worth it, although the normal rooms were perf...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank D S
Coventry, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

After being pestered by Trip Advisor to write another review for the Falesia Hotel I thought the best thing to do would be to offer a slightly updated version of my last review as everything I wrote then is still true for today.

My wife and myself are regular visitors to the hotel and make a special point of returning every year without fail. It hardly needs to be said that we think everything about the hotel, and the location, are great.

The Hotel …

The Falesia is perfect for a quiet, relaxing and stress-free holiday for adults. Visitors tend to be retired couples and the occasional honeymoon couple. As a Thomson Gold hotel children are not catered for which contributes to the quiet and relaxing atmosphere. All the rooms have free Internet connection, full air conditioning, television and a private balcony. In standard rooms there is a safe for valuables and a fridge that may be used but only at an extra charge. In Superior rooms or junior suites the safe is included in the room price but the fridge is still extra and, in my opinion, too expensive to be worthwhile. The hotel grounds include the usual pool with the organised games but the lawned garden with fishponds is always a quiet alternative in which to relax.
The restaurant is all self-service with a wide variety of dishes to satisfy all tastes. There are frequent “themed” evenings where, for example, Chinese, Italian or Portuguese dishes will be offered. My wife is a vegetarian and is often spoilt for choice when choosing between the offerings. The head chef, Angelo, actively manages the restaurant by mingling with visitors helping and advising when choosing between the many offerings. The food choice and quality is excellent but be warned, the price of water at the table is too high at about 3.5euros a litre.
There is the usual evening entertainment. Many people enjoy it, some hate it. We don’t know, we go for a walk instead.
The reception staff all speak English and we have always found them to be pleasant and helpful.

Location …

Acoteias is not a “resort” but a quiet, largely residential area is situated in the Algarve approximately half way between Albufeira and Vilamoura and is close (1.5miles by road) to a small fishing village called Olhos d'Agua. The walk to the beach is an ideal stroll after dinner and is just under a mile and takes you through the Pine Cliffs resort. This is a private resort but has a special arrangement with the Falésia. Here you can watch the sun set over the cliffs or continue your walk using a private lift down to the beach. During the day the Falésia hotel runs a shuttle bus service to take visitors to the Falésia Beach. Within a couple of hundred yards of the hotel are a cash machine, supermarket, pharmacy, cafes, cycle and car hire, taxis, tour agent, bus stop. There are also a few restaurants that look very attractive but I must add that we‘ve never used them because the food at the Falésia is so good and we don’t want to miss a meal. A short walk along the beach or along the road to the fishing village Olhos d'Agua is very pleasant. Here there are a number of gift shops, cafes and restaurants. A great place to sit on a sunny afternoon, buy a drink, sit and watch people passing. We use the local bus service to travel to Albufeira and Vilamoura and then to walk back to the hotel along the beach or cliffs. From Vilamoura along the beach or cliffs is just over four miles and from Albufeira about five miles. The last part of the walk from Albufeira must be done at low tide to avoid a long detour by road. Either way you should carry plenty of water, wear strong footwear and be prepared to make occasional detours over the cliffs and round rocky outcrops. On the beach look out for tiny freshwater springs just above the waterline. These are created by water returning to the sea from the water table behind the cliffs. They are thought to look like watering eyes (Olhos d'Agua).
The Thomson rep will offer the usual coach trips to the usual places, markets and beauty spots etc. These tend to be expensive and sometimes fail to deliver exactly what they advertise.

Finally …

The Falésia Hotel is a Marmite hotel. One reviewer said, “it’s not a proper resort”? He may be right! Some will love it and some will hate it. Some will miss the sports bars, time-share touts, illegal immigrants selling sunglasses and noisy stag party crowds found in some “resorts”. If these are the things you want then the Falésia is not for you. Others will value the peace and tranquillity in Acoteias that the absence of these brings. Simply relaxing!

15 Thank Pete H
Haywards Heath, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Falesia Hotel for a week in early June, this was our first time for some years that we had stayed in a land based holiday as we usually go cruising. I have to say that the hotel was brilliant; peaceful, and relaxing.The dining experience was out of this world, especially the salads which my husband loved. We had a managers cocktail evening with a gala dinner which gave a chance to dress up if you wanted to.The staff were obliging and friendly and it was good to see the Manager showing his presence. You could get a sunbed whatever the time of day, there were covered canopies that offered partial shade, although as we are fairer skinned we went down at breakfast to get a bed under an umbrella; pool towels were provided.There was things to do during the day, if you chose it, such as boules, giant jenga and quizzes. Evening entertainment was good too and we liked the fact that the evening didn't have to end at 10.30, as it does in some hotels. The only thing missing from this great hotel were complimentary facial tissues, which I had to go out and buy, not that I minded,it was just that I had left mine at home as they are usually provided. We shall definately return to this hotel in the future.

Room Tip: All good, down to personal choice
2 Thank Sandra S